Mini 0805 turns off randomly while driving

Warchest

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I bought a Mini 0805 from Foxoffer and the camera has been great since February when I bought it.
However in the last week it has been playing the "power off" tone randomly while driving. Seems to be anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes of driving.
I unplug the charger from the cigarette lighter outlet and plug it back in, and the "power on" tone plays.
I can also unplug the cable from the mount and back in and it comes back on.

The camera then stays on for sometimes the rest of my drive (up to an hour) or it can be under 10 minutes.
The green light is always on the charger cable, even after the power off tone sounds.
I have tried cleaning all the contacts of the charger/camera/GPS mount, no changes.

Does this sound like a battery issue or a charger cable issue?
Would resetting the camera help?

It has a Samsung 32GB class 10 MicroSD installed if that makes any difference.

Edit: Checked again this morning while driving, this time it turned off within 2 minutes.
When it did, there is no blue or red light showing, just off.

As the camera is connected directly to the battery and alternator, shouldn't it just keep running if the battery is flat?

Last edited:
I changed the recording option from 1080p 45p to 1080p 30p HDR and that seemed to fix the issue for a day or 2.
Now the issue is back, and I have noticed that after the power off tone sounds, the red light is staying on solid, no blue light. Not sure if this is happening every time.
Also, when it turns back on after unplugging and plugging back in, it looks like the battery indicator is showing as full.

Also, I checked the firmware installed - it is 20141211 V1.0
The camera is a 0805 GPS unit with no on board memory.
Would a firmware update help this? Are there any available?

Any help is appreciated.

I've had this problem.

Disable anything to do with GPS fixed my issue. I've got 4 cameras, I had this on 2 of them. I've since bought non-GPS versions, which effectively is just the mount that's different. They've been running quite reliably since, with the very odd hiccup.

It may be worth buying a 90 deg right angle adapter and plugging the power straight into the top of the camera to bypass the mount power altogether.

Also test your memory cards with "h2testw" to rule out memory card problems first!! Even if you think they are genuine they might be faulty. If it has a small fault the camera will find it!

Thanks to both of you, I will try update the firmware, test and format the SD card and disable the GPS function.
Will reply in here if I get any results.

I would leave the firmware until a last resort. I made little to no difference for me, and caused more difficulties when I couldn't see the options menu properly after putting certain firmwares on. You end up with a grey screen for options and no text if you get the wrong firmware.

Righto, I will put off updating the firmware then, thanks.

I'll second the memory card error causing gremlins. Format the card and see if that makes a difference. If not, try another card. Of course, do the HWtest mistapuk is suggesting. These cameras are very sensitive to card errors and voltage fluctuations. Powering the camera directly eliminates the mount contacts as a potential source of poor power transfer.

I had this problem and after a long time finally found out the GPS base was defective. Does the camera work properly if you plug the power cable directly into the camera instead of the base?

I've had this happen very rarely. It seems to be an issue with the flash memory card getting corrupted. Sometimes you can see a quick error message related to the memory card but it's hard to catch. When this happens I just reformat the card and it seems to fix it up.

I had this problem and after a long time finally found out the GPS base was defective. Does the camera work properly if you plug the power cable directly into the camera instead of the base?

I haven't tried that yet, have been quite busy the last few days and haven't had a chance to format the card either.
I'll try this first on the drive home/to work.

I had one powered through the base. If it wasn't mounted "perfect", I'd loose contact. Since the best place to mount is typically the most difficult to access, this was driving me nuts.

Another had a broken wire right at the camera plug. I thought the plug came loose since every time I fussed with it, the wire made only to loose contact with the next bumpy road.

I accidentally cut the wrong wire under the dash and found myself splicing the dash cam power cord. The guy specifying the wires must be bald with good eyesight based on the number of strands I found. Won't take much to damage.

My 0805, 18 months old, started switching off with error message disc full. Reformatted the Micro SD and all is currently fine. :D
Apart from the Qtplayer map that is now blank with just a Green route line and red darts on a white background o_O, but strangely this is also the case with the Qt player on my x2 0801's on the other car. Perhaps I have just inherited a google maps software compatibility problem.:confused:

Quick update,

I formatted the sd card, ran h2testw which passed, put the card back in the camera and I haven't had the issue come back. It has been working great for the last 4 days or so.
Before formatting the card, I viewed some recorded video and it had an annoying high pitch squeal sound over the normal road/car sounds. I hope formatting the card also resolves this.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I have the same problem with my 0805, "power off" tone randomly while driving. Reformatting the card does not seem to affect it. I do have the GPS base, so I will try it without GPS.
When I park and take it out and press the button, it doesn't come on- assume internal battery is dead, so my guess is the power is getting interrupted, bad contacts maybe.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 0805. It's got a GPS base. I'll try formatting the memory card first, then I'll try connecting the cable directly. I don't drive very often, so it might take awhile before I figure this out. The cam didn't have this problem the first 6 months.

UPDATE: I've formatted the 64GB card and successfully checked it with f3 (a Mac alternative to H2testw). Now it's been running for a good while (without the GPS base) on my table without problems. Let's see if that changes when I put it in the car.

UPDATE2: The 0805 works fine after putting it back into the car. So formatting the memory card fixed it! :)

Last edited:
Mine started with the intermittent shutdowns on the weekend. Certainly appears to be the GPS mount. When the cable was "wriggled" the camera would restart then shut down again a bit later. Looking at the mount again this morning, the usb plug on the mount appears to be broken.
It might be cheaper to get a new mount than pay the freight to return the mount/camera to FoxOffer as an RMA. I reckon I saw a post some months ago from someone who had a few spares (jokiin?)

Update 9th Nov.
Obtained a new GPS mount late last week (thanks Jokiin), and all seemed fine until yesterday when it randomly shut down 20 mins into a 5 hour drive. After manually restarting it worked OK for the rest of the trip, so there must be a glitch in the firmware somewhere. I have a Dec 2014 firmware.

Last edited:
Has anyone had this issue without the chime off/on sounds? It appears my camera remains on, and is recording (but not saving the file) or is not recording at all.

I was just reviewing my memory card to extract videos when I noticed a few files missing. You can tell based on the file names "AMBA00xx.mov" where xx is number that increments with each saved file. I am missing about 20 mins worth of videos (AMBA0051.mov through AMBA0054.mov in the screenshot) but the camera never gave a chime off/on sound during that drive. Has anyone else experienced this? What might be causing the problem?

So far, I have (long) formatted my SD card on my laptop, followed by a quick format on the camera itself, and tested the memory card with HWtest (revealed no issues) and still experiencing the issue. Any comments would be appreciated!

missing dash cam files.jpg

I'll second the memory card error causing gremlins. Format the card and see if that makes a difference. If not, try another card. Of course, do the HWtest mistapuk is suggesting. These cameras are very sensitive to card errors and voltage fluctuations. Powering the camera directly eliminates the mount contacts as a potential source of poor power transfer.

I had this issue in the early days and agreed in my case a reformat resolved the issue, was about 3 months ago and issue hasn't reoccurred.

Back