Mini 0805 turns off randomly while driving

Hi all, for the benefit of others experiencing this issue I found a resolution using one of the tips above: plug the power cable directly into the camera instead of the GPS mount. You will lose GPS and speed indication functionality but in reality that is secondary to having a functioning recorder.

Video is now being recorded and files saved sequentially with no gaps. Finally!

@rage_33, your GPS module should be powered by the camera if you're plugged in directly. If you're not getting a green LED, then carefully inspect the pins on the mount. While your statement is correct - that powering the camera directly is more reliable - assuming your pins are working as designed, there should be no functionality difference.

Sorry to bring back and old post, but having this same issue. Random times while driving the camera shuts off. Often I don't hear the sound and don't realize I am missing most of my drive.

1. I am powering the camera without the GPS base, USB right on the camera
2. I bench tested the camera inside plugged into the wall using the USB adapter and it shut off after 10-20 mins. no real pattern
3. The micro sd card is San Disk Extreme XC here I have also tried a few others with same results I believe
4. The current card is full and recycling and recording over old data, 13.5hrs
5. After reformatting it seems to do better but within a few days I am right back to problems.

What can I try next, ideas?

Last edited:
How long does the camera stay on after you unplug the USB cable? Does it shut down safely (see goodbye screen)?

ETA - I had similar problems until I switched to a class 10 Lexar 32GB card. Format in camera.

Ok, so it is plugged into the wall USB adapter right now at the house. The second I pull the USB cable from it, it goes black. There is no shut down screen. It has been plugged in and recording for the last 1 hr prior to doing that.

In the car, it either goes black just like that. OR sometimes I hear a tone and it safely shuts down. What has been happening often is 5 mins after driving down the road I heard the shut down tone so I turn it back on and then 10-20 mins later I notice it is not flashing blue and is off. So I reach over and turn it on again. But the process goes on and on and I forget and it is missing tons of recordings.

Unfortunately, that means your battery is toast. Easy to replace, and cheap. I think there are references in this thread - if not search the forums. I'd post more but my 3yo fell asleep on my lap making typing difficult.

Hopefully some other 0805 users can verify if that battery will fit. The 402030 is the dimensions. 40mm x 20mm x 30mm. It works for the 0806, but I'm not sure about the 0805.

Kid moved a bit, so I can type a little easier now. The camera needs a functional battery not just to help write the last file, but also to stabilize the power supply. Without a battery the camera won't work at all. With a dying one, it'll act like what you're experiencing. I'm certain that's your problem.

Thanks, according to a few youtube videos 50x20x35 is a good fit battery 200mah battery too. I will order a replacement.

Makes sense what you are saying. Especially since I know I have a reliable power source and the battery should be charged and it crashes everytime the plugged is pulled.

Now, why is stops while driving is kind of weird, But maybe there is some slightly interrupted power source while driving, or to stabilize the power like you said. I made my own USB adapter from splicing into the overhead console wires and to a USB power adapter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/272320057515
I think it might be time to get a more rugged one to put up in the console like this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00BMIVFK8

Yes, definitely stay away from those nickle-sized adapters. If you actually watch the voltage as you apply a load, you'll see they are very (dangerously) unstable. They also get very hot. As I was working on my learning curve I went through several versions of those. While the vendor claimed 2a and 3a, I found that anything approaching 800ma would smoke them.

Ahh never thought about that and also about charging too fast. Is there one you recommend that I can plug my own USB cable (i used a 90 degree end) into on amazon? There are about 50 on amazon to pick from and out is overwhelming.

Mostly, because of your sd card. Not battery.
But if your battery is failt, then you must exchange the new one.
So, you still need to buy a new sd card. Advoid sandisk card. Class10 at least. U1 is suggestion.

Is this card not compatible? This is what I have: here It is supposed to be 80 mb/s

It works great recording 4k footage on our drones with no issues and that is a lot of data.

because the fail of your dashcam which you described is a sd card fail, not a battery fail.
Changing battery is a must do, you can do this first. If it cant be fix, then change the sd card.

Thanks so much. It must be a battery issue. I ran the camera all night after formatting the card. Plugged into the wall it ran 15hrs straight and never quit. Leads me to believe the power is going out in the car from time to time from a bump or bad charger and there is no camera battery to support it for a proper shutdown procedure. New battery ordered.

@thancam has a point about sandisk. With these MINI cameras, it's a confluence of several things that will cause nagging problems. You definitely have a bad battery, but I had nothing but issues with Sandisk - 64GB. I tried the cheaper, slower Lexar, and they have worked flawlessly since. Every once and a while, I'll get a camera that shuts down randomly, and I'll simply reformat (in the camera) and I'm good for months.

Your power supply is probably not stable, and with a failing battery, you were getting write errors on a card that is already not optimal for this camera.

Each of my vehicles powers four 0806 cameras. I'm using this power supply, which built and rated for 10A service. I also installed this volt/ammeter that provides real time status. By glancing at the displayed current level, I can immediately tell if one of the cameras is not recording. It's probably overkill, but it's cheap insurance and hasn't (knock on wood) let me down yet.

Thanks erkme. I was just about to buy that power supply that you suggest but then I realized it does not have a female usb end? How can connect it to my USB cable? I use a special small 90 degree micro usb cable that plugs into the camera directly. Need something like this I think: USB power

I'm also going to get a volt/ampmeter, that is a great idea for troubleshooting all sorts of projects.

I see what you are saying with the sands. I think my experience with them has been the same. Just never thought it all through. After a reform it is good until it starts to get full.

I ordered a I new battery to install. You can only order the proper size from china on ebay. Amazon ones are all larger and more of a fuss to get them to fit.

I think you're on the right path. I simply cut the micro USB cable off of the stock charger, ran them to each of the four camera locations, and tied all the cut ends together at the power supply's output (with the ammeter placed between the PS output and cameras' leads).

So, in your case, I would say just cut the large end off of your cable. You'll find a red & black (obviously + & - 5VDC) and green & white (data). Since data is not used, you can snip those off.

FWIW, even though these cameras don't pull much more than 500ma under the worst case scenario, that is enough to cause a voltage drop across long, thin conductors. I don't know what gauge your cables are, but I've seen some that are VERY thin. And driving a 0.5A load, which is only 5VDC to begin with, over say, 12', can cause it's own problems. The PS may be more than adequate, but if the cable is too thin and long, the electrons can't get through fast enough, and you end up with something less than 5V at the camera.

Oh gosh, you are exposing all the faults with my set up :) lol. Yes I have a very thin usb cable with 90 degree connector at the end. I went for thin to have it slid through the headliner on my old car better. Not necessary with the new car. Maybe that is adding an issue to my situation. Although it is a short 3 foot cable. I will move to a thicker gauge USB cable. Didn't know I could cut off the end. Thought it might be like headphones wires that are impossible to solder bc they are so small and thin.

I appreciate all the knowledge!!

Back