Mini 0805 turns off randomly while driving

On super thin USB cables it can be like headphones. I think there, the actual conductors don't have vinyl insulators. They use a dyed varnish (usually red and green) which is difficult to get hot enough for the solder to take. If you ever have to solder that kind of wiring in the future, hit it for a 1/2 second with a flame from a lighter. It'll burn the varnish of allowing for soldering.

My USB cables are all 20ga or better on charging devices. I don't know what the MINI came with, but it is adequate. As a general rule of thumb, you want to minimize the number of dynamic connections (plugs, adapters, etc) as possible. A car is a very hostile environment for the contacts found in USB plugs, ear phone jacks, etc. If you know you're going to leave the cable in the car, make sure all connections are soldered. If you need a 90° at the end where the camera is, get a cable that has it built in (vs. getting an adapter that introduces a new dynamic contact point). At least, that's been my philosophy.

Oh I always wondered why it was impossible to sort of those small stereo wires. I like your tip about the flame thanks for that.

Yeah makes sense about connections in the car the less the better less points for it to fail. I use a 90° connector so that the wire is routed towards the mirror and of the overhead Consol out of view. It is a thinner than normal cable that I bought on Amazon it did not come with the mini. That could be a contributing factor.

I just purchased a small power supply that has a 90° USB cable built into it so less connectors and no adapter need.

You have a great advice thank you for sharing it with us.

Back