Mini 0806 (2nd Batch - Gear Best) - GPS issue, poor wiring [DIY Fixed]

Too much of slack wire was in actual holder part (the one with terminals). Now that I've pulled most of wire into camera body, it rotates more freely without tension on wire.
Do you feel the wire is long enough once you took the slack out of the holder part and into the camera? Should they make the wire longer? Should their be some kind of stress release which holds the wire near the terminal?

Do you feel the wire is long enough once you took the slack out of the holder part and into the camera? Should they make the wire longer? Should their be some kind of stress release which holds the wire near the terminal?
I think it is more a case of it being too long, but if it was made shorter then it would be hard to assemble. It just needs more care in the assembly and testing afterwards, although I'm not sure it is always possible to detect if there is a problem just by turning it a few times to see if it is smooth.

I think it is more a case of it being too long, but if it was made shorter then it would be hard to assemble. It just needs more care in the assembly and testing afterwards, although I'm not sure it is always possible to detect if there is a problem just by turning it a few times to see if it is smooth.
The factory workers probably have long hours. I think the design should be modified to make it less likely to have this issue. I think QA should vigorously rotate the body several times then test for functionality. I don't know if they test each one or take random samples?

I use the 180° rotation setting and I have no GPS. Is the image rotation the cause that the GPS doesn't work?

I'm going to try with a standard rotation and see if the GPS connects this time.

It's a fact, the GPS is dead. No GPS whatever I do. This is a major 0806 flaw.

Hi u all,
greetings and friendship to all DashCam users.
Had a 0801 in my Prius had few Posts but lost interest after selling the car. Bought a Mini 0806 a week ago how do I Recognise a Batch 1 or ?
Bee Pee

Hi u all,
greetings and friendship to all DashCam users.
Had a 0801 in my Prius had few Posts but lost interest after selling the car. Bought a Mini 0806 a week ago how do I Recognise a Batch 1 or ?
Bee Pee
If the top led is red then it is batch 1, if the top led is blue then it is batch 2 or later.

The factory workers probably have long hours. I think the design should be modified to make it less likely to have this issue. I think QA should vigorously rotate the body several times then test for functionality. I don't know if they test each one or take random samples?
They did modify it for batch 2, I'm sure they will have had another attempt by now and the issues will be getting fewer. They were checking every one, I guess they still are. They do know about the problems and have been trying to sort them but some problems need real life testing before you find if they are genuinely sorted, it's the same with all products, few have zero problems on the first release.

If it,s any help my BOX is a Flipbox not a slide one I,ve seen on YouTube! I bought from diggcams!
Bee Pee

Hi, that wasn,t my question! How do I know if my purchase is a so called Batch 1 or ?
Bee Peed

Understood..............Takes time

Last edited by a moderator:

For my 2 cents, I feel there should be some stress relief of the cable near the solder joints.
This would make it less likely for the individual wires to keep bending right at the solder joints and spread the bending forces more along the length of the cable.
It may only just require a spot of silicone or epoxy resin applied to the cable sheath, sticking it to the PCB or plastic nearby. Just so long as to remove any stresses from the fine individual wires.

It is difficult to say if the cable is long enough or too long. I think where/how it is positioned may be more critical.

I wonder if the dead GPS is not dead afteral. :D

Is there a way to switch the GPS ON or OFF. Maybe I just need to switch the GPS ON. Or I killed it by rotating the camera 180°.

I wonder if the dead GPS is not dead afteral. :D

Is there a way to switch the GPS ON or OFF. Maybe I just need to switch the GPS ON. Or I killed it by rotating the camera 180°.
As long as "GPS STAMPING" is not set to "OFF" then you should have the gps icon on screen if it has a connection to the gps base. If it is set off then you wont see the icon...

I use the 180° rotation setting and I have no GPS. Is the image rotation the cause that the GPS doesn't work?

I'm going to try with a standard rotation and see if the GPS connects this time.

Nothing to do with software settings - it's a hardware issue.
Mine is working fine with 180 degree flip (mounted upside down). What broke my GPS was actual rotation which pulled one of the wires off the PCB (probably due to cable being pinched by the rotation mechanism due to poor factory assembly). Now that I've re-soldered, everything works fine even after rotating through 180 degrees few times as a test.

As @Nigel and @Dez already said, I think wire is is long enough. Even the length in the mount vs body probably doesn't matter as long as it's not caught in the rotation mechanism during assembly. Mine now rotates more freely (it was quite tight originally) . The damage on wire itself indicates it was probably jammed by the camera body as it came from the factory.

One positive thing is that taking 0806 apart is much easier process then any other camera before - makes it easier for people with DYI skills to have a go. I'm sure they will fix this last niggling hardware issue and make the camera really great out-of-the-box as it should be. Personally I've been very happy with it so far (still running it along side 0801).

Back