Mini 0806 (2nd Batch - Gear Best) - GPS issue, poor wiring [DIY Fixed]

Nothing to do with software settings - it's a hardware issue.
Mine is working fine with 180 degree flip (mounted upside down). What broke my GPS was actual rotation which pulled one of the wires off the PCB (probably due to cable being pinched by the rotation mechanism due to poor factory assembly). Now that I've re-soldered, everything works fine even after rotating through 180 degrees few times as a test.
Yes I know that it has nothing to do with the software settings after reading the OP of this thread carefully.

I got an email from Rayman! I'm allowed to fix the dashcam myself or get a replacement. If I try to fix the camera myself I will void the warranty and what if I'm not able to fix it, what then?
If I should get a replacement, it is possible that it will be again, one with the GPS problems and everything starts all over again.

I believe in the 0806 besides the GPS problems. I'm very pleased with the 0806. The image and sound quality is so much better compared to my previous dashcam, the Blackvue DR3500.

* Very good dashcam

* Very good customer service from Rayman

* Very good customer service from my Belgian resellers (uwdashcam.be)

I'm in very good hands.
happy45.gif

I'm allowed to fix the dashcam myself or get a replacement. If I try to fix the camera myself I will void the warranty and what if I'm not able to fix it, what then?

If you try to fix the camera yourself you will continue the warranty with your distributor or Rayman, and if you are not able to fix it, you can get a replacement from Rayman directly.
If you would like to re-focusing, you can DIY.

But, plase remember NOT to touch the other place of the PCBA board, otherwize you may lost warranty in deed. :)

Any others want to do a DIY job under warranty, please let me know first........

Well trying to fix the 0806 is probably the best solution. In that case, I'm sure that I can rotate the 0806. I placed the 0806 on the left hand side behind the rear mirror although I have a left hand drive car. It is easier for me to acces the dashcam mounted to the window of the car. If I should get a replacement, it is possible that this one also has the GPS cable problems.

I think I'm going to try to fix it myself and take photos, so I can prove that I only touch the GPS cable on the PCB.

Thanks for the convidence!

Still one question if possible.

* Is it bad for the connections on the 0806 and the GPS holder to remove the dashcam frequently? I'd like to use the 0806 in another car as well. I already bought a second 12v power cable and a second GPS mount.

Fixed it, the GPS is working again. The GPS is slow though and doesn't react very fast to speed changes. And it still says that there is no GPS available in the player.

Another problem that I have is that the dashcam doesn't shut down automatically. Even if I turn off the ignition (no power anymore), the 0806 keeps recording. Even when I remove the 0806 from the GPS holder. I have to shut it down manually.

Fixed it, the GPS is working again. The GPS is slow though and doesn't react very fast to speed changes. And it still says that there is no GPS available in the player.

Another problem that I have is that the dashcam doesn't shut down automatically. Even if I turn off the ignition (no power anymore), the 0806 keeps recording. Even when I remove the 0806 from the GPS holder. I have to shut it down manually.
Well done,

The GPS should update 1 time every second. Best viewed in "Registrator Viewer" software.

The 0806 should shut down 10 seconds after loosing power, not immediately.

It should turn off after certain time.
What do you have it set?
Maybe you have the power off set at 3 min?
I haven't checked menu in detail though.

I re-opened the dashcam and all 4 little wires came off. I need to find out were these wire have to. I believe the green one is the RX, the red one is GND, the plain one is 5v and the mixed colour is the TX.

I think I need to get a new dashcam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this correct?

20150227_150046_zpsmxiiocej.jpg

Not sure about the middle ones.
I think the far out ones are green and blue.
I haven't opened it so can't confirm.
Maybe someone who has it open can reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrong pics, was talking about how the cable is routed through the rotating mechanism
He has those four wires disconnected as per post #50 above.
That picture has it connected so gives an idea of what goes where. It needs to be little more close up but that's the picture.
Why would you look for wires on the mount where it's intact as that won't give any clue on the other disconnected side as the wires may not follow the same sequence. ;)

wasn't looking at how it was connected, just how the cable was routed, having 180 degrees of rotation is a challenge when it comes to cabling working through the mechanism effectively

Is this correct?

20150227_150046_zpsmxiiocej.jpg

Just in case anyone is wondering, yes, this is the correct wiring. I just took mine apart and ripped all the wires out in the process. This is exactly how I put it back together.

RX = Green
GND = Copper
5V = Red
TX = Black/Red

If anyone takes apart the little area where the contacts meet the gps mount, the wiring is the same except TX/RX is reversed.

wasn't looking at how it was connected, just how the cable was routed, having 180 degrees of rotation is a challenge when it comes to cabling working through the mechanism effectively
oh okay. I thought you were asking about the other end where wires came unsoldered.

Yes, I found out myself about the wires. I was able to solder everything, except the GPS, back it should be and the dashcam is working again. Except for the GPS. I'm not going to open the dashcam again to solder that GPS wire because the risk that I break the dashcam is too high. I don't have the right equipment to solder those find wires.

This is not a moment of weakness but I have to thank everybody for their help. Not many fora have members that are willing to help another person in trouble.

:p

I wish I was able to get a replacement dashcam with a working GPS. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Back