Mini 0806 (2nd Batch - Gear Best) - GPS issue, poor wiring [DIY Fixed]

Sunny.. I found this photo from one seller on ebay..
It is not so clear , but i hope it helps u in some way.

I dont have mine, otherwise i am gonna take photo by myselfimage.jpg

Sunny, when you exchange the TX/RX, please leave the VCC (red) and GND (copper) alone.

When I get my replacement tomorrow (and get a second mini 0806), I think that giving the wire a little more slack, before rotating the 0806, is the solution.

DSC01454%20b-wiring_zpst9q2xpat.jpg

nomen, that is not only un-suitbale solder tool, but also rough hand work...........
a plastic piece is missing :eek:

nomen, that is not only un-suitbale solder tool, but also rough hand work...........

Yes, the small plastic piece that broke off.
It made soldering easier after that.
I was more concerned on making the camera work than the plastic piece as it can be easily attached with superglue or hot glue if the camera was fixed.

That is not my solder work. I didn't do this. I copied the photo from this thread to show the wire I want to give more slack.

That is not my solder work. I didn't do this. I copied the photo from this thread to show the wire I want to give more slack.
:) I suggest you leave it alone unless you can feel that the cable is trapped or being pulled when you gently adjust the angle. If it rotates freely then there isn't a problem, most are assembled correctly. If it doesn't rotate freely than have a look.

That's me.
1st I was having hard time to solder because the wire was too short and made a mess.
Also breaking the plastic trim was to make soldering easier.
It was only after I took the mount's connection out that I saw there is enough wire to pull.
Before that, I was afraid to pull the wire to make soldering easier fearing it'll break off on the mount.

Today I received my 0806 from Gear Best (pre-ordered on 30/01/2015).
At first I was very happy as it was clearly 2nd batch (but still in old packaging ), included tidy clips, screws, latest firmware etc...
GPS locked very quickly (under a minute). After playing with it for a while, I proceeded to install it in the car. This is where problems started. As I'm in Australia, I decided to mount it on a left hand side. This meant that I had to flip the image and rotate camera (this is improvement compared to my 0801). After I did this, GPS was no longer recognized. It wasn't just not locking, but icon was missing and green light was OFF (ie. no hardware detected). I put camera in 0801 mount and still no GPS hardware detected. Then I rotated camera back and GPS icon came ON when camera was in furthest possible position. I tried the same thing in 0806 mount, and it only worked in this single position. Clearly the issue was with the camera

So just got mine from gearbest. Before reading this thread. I turned it. And now it's not working :mad:
I'm so furious it's going to cost a fortune to send back as I have no experience in soldering.
How unacceptable :(

So just got mine from gearbest. Before reading this thread. I turned it. And now it's not working :mad:
I'm so furious it's going to cost a fortune to send back as I have no experience in soldering.
How unacceptable :(
I'm just wondering what date did you order it and what was the shipping date?

So I think I've got a similar problem. I ordered my Mini0806 from Gearbest in late January, shipped in early-mid-Feb, received 24 March. It's a 2nd gen with the old style packaging.

It doesn't charge/connect when any cable (cigarette outlet or USB to computer) is attached to the GPS base, but it does when the cable is connected to the camera. It records in the car (cigarette outlet to camera) and I can download video (via USB from computer directly to the camera).

When I take the end cap off, I can see the green cable is disconnected.

I really don't want to wait another 2 months to ship this back to Gearbest and get a replacement that may (or may not) work. Before I disconnect it any further and try to fix it myself, would a disconnected green wire here affect the ability of the camera to get power from the GPS base, or does the green cable only affect the GPS signal reception? If the green wire would affect the power, I'll try re-soldering it. If it only affects the GPS signal, that tells me I have other issues, and I see about going back to Gearbest for a replacement.

Thanks

IMG_3946a.jpg

So I think I've got a similar problem. I ordered my Mini0806 from Gearbest in late January, shipped in early-mid-Feb, received 24 March. It's a 2nd gen with the old style packaging.

It doesn't charge/connect when any cable (cigarette outlet or USB to computer) is attached to the GPS base, but it does when the cable is connected to the camera. It records in the car (cigarette outlet to camera) and I can download video (via USB from computer directly to the camera).

When I take the end cap off, I can see the green cable is disconnected.

I really don't want to wait another 2 months to ship this back to Gearbest and get a replacement that may (or may not) work. Before I disconnect it any further and try to fix it myself, would a disconnected green wire here affect the ability of the camera to get power from the GPS base, or does the green cable only affect the GPS signal reception? If the green wire would affect the power, I'll try re-soldering it. If it only affects the GPS signal, that tells me I have other issues, and I see about going back to Gearbest for a replacement.

Thanks

View attachment 12235

Green is for GPS only.
The red and copper wires are for power.

You see green wire disconnected but red and copper wires also may have been disconnected or not making the contact.
The solder joint may be loose but not completely off the board.
Looks like cold solder issue on these units.

would a disconnected green wire here affect the ability of the camera to get power from the GPS base, or does the green cable only affect the GPS signal reception?
If one wire is disconnected then it is likely the cable got trapped in which case it is quite likely that either another wire is also disconnected or the cable has been partly cut.

Now you have got that far, if you can solder and have a suitably small soldering iron (ie not a plumbers type) then you might as well continue, it is reasonably easy to get the rest open.

I am having this issue on my 2 week old mini 0806 (Batch 3). After googling i quickly found this thread.

Looking at the photos of the PCB, the wiring is just poorly done. I would'nt be surprised if the power wires come undone sooner or later.

Such a shame.. the camera itself is great but now knowing its fatal flaw i will be returning it.

Last edited:
After 2 months using MINI0806 GPS green light always blinking and icon on display has red symbol. No GPS signal at all!
Solution. Cleaned contacts (4 pins) on GPS mount and opposite side on my camera + used conductive grease. Now its working like before 2 min and it lock GPS signal.

Back