Mini 0806 3Chimes

G C Bermejo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Have had a Mini0806 mounted in the vehicle for about a year, no problems at all, same two SD cards all that time. But now it is chewing throrough SD cards.
After about 2 weeks, it will be happily recording and then it just turns off.
I thought, loose power connection so did the electrical tape thing, a thin strip either slot and the camera now mounts rock solid.
That appeared to solve the random turning off problem

More recently, very random, you will hear a loud 3 chimes at which point one of 3 things seems to happen.
It may freeze with both the red and blue showing steady for a short period and then it seems to resume recording.
Or it may simply freeze for ever till you turn it off.
Or it will freeze and then a short time later turn off with no shut down singsong.
If it resumes recording or you press the power on, all files from that point are unreadable.
Once you start getting that loud 3Chimes, reformatting the card will get you another couple of hours recording before it 3Chimes again.
Putting in a new unused card and all goes well for another 2 or 3 weeks.
The battery goes flat very quickly once the power is killed, has been that way for a long time, probably before these more recent issue's.
I thought to start with that it was lane detection or anti collision sort of thing, but the lane detection stuff is all turned off.
I don't see any error message when it Chimes as it is mounted behind the inside mirror out of my sight.

Any idea's what the 3 Chimes could be and a fix for it maybe.

Though there is a mini 0807 out, wondering whether to replace the 0806 if it is become a dud, if I do that, is the camera mount to the windscreen attachment the same between the 0806 and 07 or not ?

Cheers

Replacing the battery and plugging power directly into the camera made most of my problems go away.
And that's despite downgrading from a Samsung Pro Plus card to plain Kingston ones (needed to keep the Samsung for evidence.)

However the way your cards become more of a problem over time is odd. What capacity are they and how are you formatting them? Some say 64GB cards need to be formatted as FAT32 for most reliability. That's what I do.

The SD cards have all been Adata, class 10, the first 2 were 64gb each and since then I have used 32, 64 and a 128,the first two cards lasted for about a 8, maybe 9 months before it started chewing through the cards.
I have taken those what appear to be "dud" cards and run them through Chkdsk in a card reader and Scan For Issue's, nothing found on them. I have since moved those cards into a Tablet for saving Documents etc and the perform without fault but the 0806 doesn't like them anymore.
The battery dying with in a 3 or 4 seconds has been like that for some time, the Chimes is something more recent.
The random turning off I seem to have solved by placing a tiny strip of eletrical tape into the two slots of the GPS/Windscreen mount where the camera slides into, that is rock solid now, no movement at all.
As for formatting, always been in the camera itself though when I started having problems, I did try formatting the card via a card reader hooked up to a windows laptop but as soon as the camera was turned on it would turn off again so went back to in camera formatting, wouldn't record, maybe I didn't format in Fat32.

The Chimes are more newer though, quite loud and very different to the shut down tune. As mentioned, first thought was lane detection but that is turned off.

Though, in the last couple of days, the vehicle has been running for 8 to 10 hours at a time and the battery has "recharged" to the point where it will keep the screen lit up and do a normal shut down after about 15 seconds but it would still chime after a couple of hours of non stop use, do a format in camera and go for another couple of hours.

I have considered the battery as a possible issue but the battrey has died almost as soon as the key is turned off for sometime before this issue arose. I am not gadget minded so DIY pulling it apart and replacing the battery, I would probably do more harm than good.

I might move the power lead from the GPS unit and plug directly into the camera and see if that makes any difference in case it is somehow related to the GPS/Windscreen mount part.

But thanks for your feedback so far. Might try moving the power direct to the camera, will have another look at formatting via a card reader and make sure I select Fat32.

most likely it relates to your battery, the design of the power supply in this model is not great and the battery helps stabilise the voltage, when the battery starts to fail things get flaky

Thanks, might look at opening up the 0806 and see how difficult or not that might be. I have seen the video of opening up the 0806.

Back