Mini 0806 5th Batch

steve11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mini 0806 running off a Lukas 290 hardwire
Hi,

I have a 3rd batch mini 0806 mounted at the front and I am looking to buy another for the rear.

Sportgps (an Australian seller) is advertising they stock the 5th batch version. What is the difference if any between batches?

Cheers

Hopefully these don't overheat or catch on fire. That would be a big improvement. I own two of these Mini 0806 units (purchased in May 2015) and I have quit using them in my car. There are far too many stories concerning, at best, melting enclosures and at worst, smoking and occasional fires. I'm a happy convert to dash cams that only use internal capacitors instead of batteries and feel much safer for it.

Hopefully these don't overheat or catch on fire. That would be a big improvement. I own two of these Mini 0806 units (purchased in May 2015) and I have quit using them in my car. There are far too many stories concerning, at best, melting enclosures and at worst, smoking and occasional fires. I'm a happy convert to dash cams that only use internal capacitors instead of batteries and feel much safer for it.
I agree, and welcome to DCT :)

Overheating is definitely an issue I'm experiencing too, the unit is almost to hot to touch at times. So I do have some hesitance in buying another Mini 0806 unless the issue is resolved.
Would an internal capacitor actually rid any dashcam of heating issues, seeing as they have direct sunlight and face the internal ambient heat of a locked car?

Hi,

I have a 3rd batch mini 0806 mounted at the front and I am looking to buy another for the rear.

Sportgps (an Australian seller) is advertising they stock the 5th batch version. What is the difference if any between batches?

Cheers
Hi Steve11

There will be new Mini series Cams with Super capacitors arriving in Aus in about 4 weeks time. Much better option for our climate. No difference in product after batch 3, it's more around marketing because there were so many problems with the first 2 batches.

Hi Steve11

There will be new Mini series Cams with Super capacitors arriving in Aus in about 4 weeks time. Much better option for our climate. No difference in product after batch 3, it's more around marketing because there were so many problems with the first 2 batches.

Hi Chris,

I visited your web store, are you referring to the mini 0826 as being the replacement to the 0806? If there is a whole new series coming out I'll sure to be visiting your site again in the coming weeks.

Cheers

0826 will have ongoing development and support, the 0806 is an unsupported product, better to avoid that one

0826 will have ongoing development and support, the 0806 is an unsupported product, better to avoid that one
Yeah Jokiin, I'm starting to think to avoid another 0806, may even convert to another brand.

Hi Chris,

I visited your web store, are you referring to the mini 0826 as being the replacement to the 0806? If there is a whole new series coming out I'll sure to be visiting your site again in the coming weeks.

Cheers
0826 is next gen 0806,
The 0807 , 0901, and 0903 are coming in the next 4 weeks or so.
0807 will have super capacitor, not sure on final specs just yet.
0901 will have replaceable battery and wi fi and bigger 2 inch screen.
0903 will have super capacitor and wi fi, 1.5 inch screen and different (central type) mount option.
Will update once we know more about final specs.

0826 is next gen 0806,
The 0807 , 0901, and 0903 are coming in the next 4 weeks or so.
0807 will have super capacitor, not sure on final specs just yet.
0901 will have replaceable battery and wi fi and bigger 2 inch screen.
0903 will have super capacitor and wi fi, 1.5 inch screen and different (central type) mount option.
Will update once we know more about final specs.
Great info Chris, something to look forward too.

How can I tell which version I just purchased?

Would an internal capacitor actually rid any dashcam of heating issues?

Just wanted to clarify this. The heating will be the same, the big difference being that supercaps can tolerate higher levels of heat without failure that LiPo batteries can. And batteries are the usual point of failure with heat and dashcams, but they are not the only one. Cases can distort, focus can shift around, electronics can act erratically too but those are rarer to see.

Phil

This is an irresponsible speech, bro.

This is an irresponsible speech, bro.

Could you explain why there has been no firmware update or support? Nobody has offered any support to the countless customers experiencing problems with the 0806 from MEGTech. I think everyone is just interested in knowing why you stopped supporting your product.

Just wanted to clarify this. The heating will be the same, the big difference being that supercaps can tolerate higher levels of heat without failure that LiPo batteries can. And batteries are the usual point of failure with heat and dashcams, but they are not the only one. Cases can distort, focus can shift around, electronics can act erratically too but those are rarer to see.

Phil
Yes, the same amount of heat will be received from the midday sun and about the same amount of heat will be generated internally.

However supercaps also suffer from heat, and their specifications often have a lower maximum temperature than lipo batteries, the difference is only that the supercapacitors start off with a longer lifespan and if you half it by overheating them you will still have a long lifespan remaining. They will still die of overheating, just not so soon as a lipo. At some point we will start seeing lots of dashcam supercapacitor failure stories being posted!

I have had my 0806 in use for over a year now, still gives a good image, still on the original battery, never produced any smoke!

It is true that the dual card switching doesn't work as some people would like, but it does work as I want it to work with the second card as an automatic
backup card, it has never been an issue for me.

It is also true that the Frontal Warning Collision System is useless, but that is true of all dashcams!

I don't think I have ever seen a report of flames coming from an 0806? Any links?

If you want a high resolution dashcam with 2560 pixel width then the mini 0806 still gives one of the best images available, especially in darker conditions where WDR is needed.

Back