Mini 0806 Dashcam - Review and comparison against G90.

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
This camera is currently on sale at gearbest for $120 with the coupon code MN86LG:
New coupon:
GearBest has the Mini 0806 for $113 with coupon code G2015

The camera came in a nice box specifically printed for 0806 unlike other dashcam's that came in generic dashcam boxes.
Edit: The GPS logger is in the car mount.

Product contents I received are as below:
1. Micro usb cable.
2. Micro usb car charger.
3. 3 double sided tapes
4. 2 plastic plates, 1 angled, 1 flat that can be screwed on the mount to change the angle little bit.
Manual mentions 4 5mm screws are included but I couldn't find them anywhere in the box. For now, I just used the double sided tape directly on the mount.
5. Polarizing magnetic filter. I need to test and rotate it properly for best effect.
6. Printed manual
7. Screen/lens cleaning cloth.
8. Mini0806 Dash camera.
9. Car Mount --> with GPS.

Manual mentions there is another plug in external GPS unit is available to buy separately.
There is charging port on the mount and one on the dascam itself.
Due to the forward facing charging port on the mount, it's difficult to plug the charger without hitting the windshield.
The charging port on the dashcam is on top and since the mount sticks on the windshield, there is not enough room to plug the charger either but better than the mount as the dascam can be rotated to have some more room.
I had extra micro usb car charger that has right angled plug and that worked much better instead of the provided straight charger plug.
This is what is little tricky. The dascam only rotates forward and backward on the car mount. It does not move side to side so you have to make sure to get the middle of the FOV before you stick it on the windshield.

Here are few pictures:
Nice outer box on the right and the product box on the left.
P1050710.jpg
P1050718.jpg

Dashcam and car mount:
P1050719.jpg
The dashcam rotates around the mount so can be mounted with the mount on the left or right.
P1050721.jpg

Top of the dashcam has charging port and micro sd slot A.
P1050723.jpg

Bottom of the dashcam has mini HDMI port and micro sd slot B.
P1050722.jpg

I'll add sample videos and compare with G90 soon.

Product specification from Gearbest.com:
Description:
This car camcorder can be used as a car DVR to record your wonderful daily life, traveling and outdoor activities. It can also be used for car shooting to take evidence of traffic accident. And suitable for backpackers to record traveling experience, too. Portable and practical, Perfect gift for yourself or your friends.
Main Features:
Shell: Porous design, excellent heat dissipation
1296P 30fps recording
H.264 coding MOV file format
1.5 inch HD TFT Screen
High performance 6G lens
135 degree wide angle vision
Dual microSD card slots 128GB x 2 MAX (not included)
Support HDR( High dynamic range)
Support GPS tracking with Google Map
Support G-sensor lock and manual lock
Support motion detection
Support HDMI output
Support LDWS(Lane departure waring system)
Support FCWS (forward collision warning system)
Easy CPL( circular polarizing filter) attaching
Easy sticker mounting
160 degree rotation for left or right mount
Optional mini USB / micro USB port
Specifications
General
Model: MINI 0806 X44
Type : Full HD Dashcam, HD Car DVR Recorder
Chipset Name: Ambarella
Chipset : Ambarella A7LA50
Special Function: GPS, Loop recording, HDMI
Storage
Max External Card Supported: Dual SD 128G (not inluded)
Class Rating Requirements: Class 4 or Above
Display
Screen Size: 1.5inch
Screen Type: TFT
Power
Battery type: Built-in
Charge Way : USB charge by PC, Car charger
Primary Info.
Wide Angle: 135 degree wide angle lens
Video/Image/Audio
Decode Format: H.264
Video Format: MP4
Video Resolution : 1269P (2304 x 1296), 1080P (1920 x 1080)
Video System: PAL, NTSC
Video Output: HDMI
Image Format : JPG
Audio System: Built-in microphone/speacker (AAC)
Functions
GPS: Yes
Dimension/Weight
Product Weight: 0.200 kg
Package Weight: 0.300 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 7 x 4 x 4 cm / 2.7 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 18 x 15 x 6 cm
Package Contents
Package Contents: 1 x Camcorder, 1 x Chineses / English User Manual, 1 x Mounting Bracket, 1 x Car Charger, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x CPL Filter

Last edited:
Considering that 0806 has brighter lens (F2.0 vs F2.4), it would outperform G90 at night time.

if everything else was equal

Yes, that's not the only deciding factor.
There are dashcams with smaller aperture outperforming ones with larger lenses.

Ok, i was thinking about another dashcam. Anyway, where is an actual comparison? All I see is the specs which we already know. Side by side video is all we want to see.

Ok, i was thinking about another dashcam. Anyway, where is an actual comparison? All I see is the specs which we already know. Side by side video is all we want to see.
It's coming.
I need to edit and upload.

Is this one of the second batch? - looks better than the images I've seen of the first batch...

5. Polarizing magnetic filter. I need to test and rotate it properly for best effect.
The white line should go exactly at the top to remove reflections from the windshield.

The white line should go exactly at the top to remove reflections from the windshield.

Oh that's great then.
I don't have to test. :)
Thanks

Oh that's great then.
I don't have to test. :)
Thanks
Well they might have put it in the wrong place so if you can still see reflections in the centre of the image then it will be worth adjusting, but start with it at the top. There will probably still be slight reflections towards the bottom corners of the image.

Okay.

Does this camera have battery inside or in the mount?
I have charger plugged in directly into the dashcam.

Battery is in the camera so that if you pull it off it's mount you can then set it up via the menus, or video the result of your accident.

Red (top) led indicates battery charging (might be the blue led now?)

Aside from Nigel's remarks about the location of the battery, another benefit of it being in the camera itself is so that when you remove the camera from its mount on a hot sunny day, you're not leaving it behind to overheat on your windscreen.

Although I do basically get your point, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Wouldn't you want to remove the camera for other reasons such as to prevent theft in certain situations. One might want to do this even with a capacitor based unit. I guess it goes back to the question of the battery being in the camera rather than in the mount.

I'm still confused. Didn't you talk about removing the camera from the car two posts ago? Anyway, my battery based cameras get used in parking mode but at other times I'll remove them from the vehicle.

Yep, this model is being promoted as having parking mode as an upcoming feature, realistically though leaving it in the heat isn't a good idea

Parking mode kind of implies leaving it in the car I'd think
Since the processor has the same maximum temperature rating as the battery, the use of parking mode is unaffected by the presence of a battery.

Back