Mini 0806 died, only blue LED, no display!

itskv

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning on my commute, maybe 15 mins of it being ON, it made a very weird loud hissing/screeching (almost like boiling) noise. I immediately went to check the status of the dash cam and it was extremely hot! (it was sub 60*F today) there was no more LED indicators on... Pulled it off the GPS Unit and immediately smelt burning fumes from the device. I let it cool off for about 20minutes and then tried to Power it back on, without any USB connection. NOTHING! Plugged in the USB to the Dashcam without the GPS Unit and only received a Blue indicator, no display or start up noise. When I got to work, I plugged it into my laptop with a USB cable and the computer was not able to recognize the device or read the microSD from it and only the Blue indicator stayed on. Upon unplugging it, the Blue indicator will turn off. I have tried to hold power button for a long period of time and was not able to get a screen up...

I have the hard wire kit, purchased from the same vendor of the camera on eBay.

Last edited:
Have you tried holding the power button for 20+ seconds?

Yes I have held it for about 1min as well. Nothing

try hold UP button an connect to windows, will you got a new hardwire installed?
if yes, try DirectUSB
if no, I think the PWM IC damaged, you need a free replacement.

try hold UP button an connect to windows, will you got a new hardwire installed?
if yes, try DirectUSB

I will try that.

I have contacted the seller and they requested that I send this item back to China for a replacement. I think that is not very cost effective for a replacement as shipping there is easily $30USD from USPS from the USA without insurance or other options. And I purchased from a USA warehouse. I am also waiting for their response for a refund.

I have contacted the seller and they requested that I send this item back to China for a replacement. I think that is not very cost effective for a replacement as shipping there is easily $30USD from USPS from the USA without insurance or other options. And I purchased from a USA warehouse. I am also waiting for their response for a refund.

you can't send through the post either, they won't take cameras to China so need to use an express company

if yes, try DirectUSB

I tried this method and my computer and laptop both say USB Device Not Recognized.

DirectUSB will not connect as well.

tried this method and my computer and laptop both say USB Device Not Recognized.

I think you need the driver for your PC called Ambarella Evaluation Board

I think you need the driver for your PC called Ambarella Evaluation Board
I have had success recognizing this device before this incident.

I purchase this from eBay: bruce_lee_dt and the seller would not offer partial refund. I would take at least 50% of the cost back since shipping this to China would bring my camera cost to nearly $200 USD. If I can just recover at least 50% of the camera that would be great.

DO NOT BUY FROM bruce_lee_dt!

Rayman,

Are you highlighting the parts that possibly malfunctioned?

I have tried the recover bricked camera method with the OTG adapter and USB Male to Male and was not about to "recover". The blue LED only lights up once USB is connected, once removed, it turns off. Holding power button for 20+ secs will not do anything.

Well I guess one of the components are dead.
Possible to replace?

23299611902_fcbbbfd37d_c.jpg

22780921443_6532a2c08c_c.jpg

yes it is, if the input voltage/current is too high, the IC maybe damaged.
it is RT8059GJ5 or substitute LC3406.
almost half return cameras for repairing is on this fault.

if you have the skill to replace it it will be much easier.

This would lend credibility to the theory that the charger being used to power the camera failed, and allowed unregulated (higher) voltage to get to the 0806. I have zero confidence in the supplied charger. I don't know who makes the hardwired kit you've been using, but if it's still installed, and there's a quick/dirty way to measure its output voltage, you'd have a pretty strong case against the vendor/supplier - if the voltage is higher than 5.2VDC.

I don't know who makes the hardwired kit you've been using, but if it's still installed, and there's a quick/dirty way to measure its output voltage, you'd have a pretty strong case against the vendor/supplier - if the voltage is higher than 5.2VDC.

best they'd probably do would be replace the power supply

Ultimately, that's probably true. But since the PS and 0806 came from the same supplier, if they refuse to accept complete responsibility, I'd get Paypal/CC-issuer involved and demand a charge back for a defective product... Just ideas.

People! Do not buy on Ebay from bruce_lee_dt.
The seller is dishonest, selling broken camera and refuse to accept returns
My 806 died after 10 days, the seller did not refunded, did not responded.
Avoid bruce_lee_dt

yes we have stoped any business with that vendor. Current we developed ourself car charger and included in new mini 0806 and nanoQ 0903.
cost increased but it is more safe for our product.

new car charger (3).JPG

Back