Mini 0806. Lens Focus and Colours are changes with different resolutions

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
I have Mini 08060 for over a one week. Did last weekend some extencive tests with different resolutions and found out that with different resolutions options the Lens Focus and Colours value is changing.

Test was done in nice sunny day. All 4 video resolutions were tested within 25 min period from first till 4th video, and the outside weather conditions did not change within those 25min when I tested ( no clouds, etc ).

1920 x 1080. 29.970Fps Focus was nice and sharp, with all other resolutions image was about 5-10% out of focus ( very little blurry ) and colours changed a little bit. regarding colours change you may see from B-screenshot against yellow brick wall and road (tarmac), you see that colours are different on first and 4th vs 2nd and 3rd screenshots resolutions.

What are your ideas about this "issue" ?

Raw / original files you may download from HERE

0040 = 1920 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
0043 = 1920 x 1080. 45Fps / S.Fine
0045 = 2304 x 1296. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
0049 = 2560 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine

A-screenshots

1920 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
1920 x 1080 29.97Fps.jpg

1920 x 1080. 45Fps / S.Fine
1920 x 1080 45Fps.jpg

2304 x 1296. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
2304 x 1296 29.97Fps.jpg

2560 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
2560 x 1080 29.97Fps.jpg

B-screenshots

1920 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
1920 x 1080 29.97Fps.jpg

1920 x 1080. 45Fps / S.Fine
2304 x 1296 29.97Fps.jpg

2304 x 1296. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
2304 x 1296 29.97Fps.jpg

2560 x 1080. 29.970Fps / S.Fine
2560 x 1080 29.97Fps.jpg

Attachments

• 1920 x 1080 45Fps.jpg
    1920 x 1080 45Fps.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Mine was sharpest in the 2560x1080 setting but maybe it's something to do with the scaling settings in the latest firmwares? I'm tempted to drop mine back to day one firmware and see how it behaves - I'll have to dig it out if I can - it was CBR so I'll see if I can find it :)

I have Mini 08060 for over a one week. Did last weekend some extencive tests with different resolutions and found out that with different resolutions options the Lens Focus and Colours value is changing.

Test was done in nice sunny day. All 4 video resolutions were tested within 25 min period from first till 4th video, and the outside weather conditions did not change within those 25min when I tested ( no clouds, etc ).

1920 x 1080. 29.970Fps Focus was nice and sharp, with all other resolutions image was about 5-10% out of focus ( very little blurry ) and colours changed a little bit. regarding colours change you may see from B-screenshot against yellow brick wall and road (tarmac), you see that colours are different on first and 4th vs 2nd and 3rd screenshots resolutions.

What are your ideas about this "issue" ?
Your 2560 x 1080 images appear to be screen copies of a 1920 x 1080 screen so I can't see the original quality - either save the frame, or zoom in enough to remove the top and bottom black lines so that we can compare the original quality.

Changes in colour are probably due to it deciding on different white balance settings depending on what was in the image - if a red car drives passed then it may turn down the amount of red. Try doing the test with white balance set to sunny or cloudy so that it doesn't adjust.

I think the difference in sharpness is probably that the 2560 is using sensor resolution and it has not used much artificial sharpening while the 1920 image is resized from sensor resolution and the resizing looses sharpness so it has artificially sharpened the image making it appear sharper than the 2560 although it is destroying a bit of real detail in the process.

I've always preferred the 2560 images when I have tested, if you zoom in on the 2560 to get 1920 on your monitor then they need a bit of sharpening if making a 1920 video and the result can be very good. I'd rather do the sharpening in post processing though as if they are recorded by the camera already sharpened then some detail can be lost which can potentially make a license plate that was readable unreadable.

One other thing I have noticed is that the quality can depend on the player software. For some reason Registrator Viewer decodes the 2560 video a bit too dark and some detail in the darker areas can be a lot harder to see than with some other software.

Your 2560 x 1080 images appear to be screen copies of a 1920 x 1080 screen so I can't see the original quality - either save the frame, or zoom in enough to remove the top and bottom black lines so that we can compare the original quality.

Changes in colour are probably due to it deciding on different white balance settings depending on what was in the image - if a red car drives passed then it may turn down the amount of red. Try doing the test with white balance set to sunny or cloudy so that it doesn't adjust.

I think the difference in sharpness is probably that the 2560 is using sensor resolution and it has not used much artificial sharpening while the 1920 image is resized from sensor resolution and the resizing looses sharpness so it has artificially sharpened the image making it appear sharper than the 2560 although it is destroying a bit of real detail in the process.

I've always preferred the 2560 images when I have tested, if you zoom in on the 2560 to get 1920 on your monitor then they need a bit of sharpening if making a 1920 video and the result can be very good. I'd rather do the sharpening in post processing though as if they are recorded by the camera already sharpened then some detail can be lost which can potentially make a license plate that was readable unreadable.
I will do 2560 screenshots later.
It might be justified at A-screenshot with red car but if compare B-screenshots where there is no "objects" in front then can see a difference in colours. However colours correctnes for me personally never were primary thing in dashcams. Focus is most important.

One other thing I have noticed is that the quality can depend on the player software. For some reason Registrator Viewer decodes the 2560 video a bit too dark and some detail in the darker areas can be a lot harder to see than with some other software.
Before that I tried VLC with latest K-Lite codec pack but then I went into RV to make screenshots of present post.

I will do 2560 screenshots later.
It might be justified at A-screenshot with red car but if compare B-screenshots where there is no "objects" in front then can see a difference in colours. However colours correctnes for me personally never were primary thing in dashcams. Focus is most important.
In the B screenshots, the one with the least orange brickwork is the one with a very red child walking through the image, not sure that will have affected it but I wouldn't be surprised if it is trying to not saturate it's red sensors on that coat.

Looking at the sharpness again, the A 1920 looks excessively sharpened to me, lots of people complain about over sharpening on cameras. I can't really comment on the 2560 since it has been resized but I've been finding mine about right. In the early prototype firmwares it was sharpening 2560 so much that license plates where sometimes no easier to read than on the 0803 but Rayman got that sorted.

This MINI 0806 also came from the 1st. batch, looking forward to see some test about 2nd batch 0806

This MINI 0806 also came from the 1st. batch, looking forward to see some test about 2nd batch 0806

Are you selling 1st or 2nd batch ones at the moment?

I ordered one from GearBest today.

nice perfect sunny lighting day...

looks like the mini 0806 can just about equal the g1wh for all its up to date technology and high price...

:p

In the B screenshots, the one with the least orange brickwork is the one with a very red child walking through the image, not sure that will have affected it but I wouldn't be surprised if it is trying to not saturate it's red sensors on that coat.

Looking at the sharpness again, the A 1920 looks excessively sharpened to me, lots of people complain about over sharpening on cameras. I can't really comment on the 2560 since it has been resized but I've been finding mine about right. In the early prototype firmwares it was sharpening 2560 so much that license plates where sometimes no easier to read than on the 0803 but Rayman got that sorted.

Here is same 2560 screenshot zoomed in RV vs full size cropped top and bottom black areas.

B 2560 zoom.jpg

2560  cropped.jpg

If comparing all 4 resolutions in RV with a zoom tool, as I mentioned overall focus difference between 1080p ( sharp focus ) and rest 3 resolutions is not such a major difference, maybe 5-10% only, "average Joe" might not find this. It's just me being maybe too picky and want to give my input into Mini 0806 development, because I think its a great little dashcam, thats why I do share my findings here, so developer can look into this. If nobody reports - issue will not be solved ! ;)
But as you mentioned, there might be a case with oversharpening. Maybe normal 1080p has more "over-sharpen" / focused image than other settings, I dont know, but from visual effect of playing raw files can see very little difference.

Back