Mini 0806 not fit for Australian use

flip9

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
F770, SG9665GC
Hi

So im on my second mini 0806 after the first one had a GPS issue after two weeks. I received a v3 replacement model.

Anyway after a couple of months and barely hitting summer in Sydney and it looks like this now (see attachment)

Its sagged so bad that its lost contact from the mount. This is a design flaw from having the camera hanging from one end leaving the other unsupported.

Also it looks like something inside the lens has delaminated as theres now an obstruction on the recordings.

So caveat emptor....

Attachments

• _20151026_215530.JPG
    _20151026_215530.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 137
Wow, that's crazy, it must get crazy hot there compared to here in North Carolina. Mines still going strong after almost a year but I have it mounted behind a piece of 20% window tint, so it doesn't get the sun straight on. The only problem I have is if I run it for 30 mins it may only have a GPS connection for 2 of those minutes, which could also be because it's behind tint.

Last edited:
You should look into the Street Guardian cameras which are on sale in the US and @jokiin here heads up.

He's from Australia and the cameras are designed to take whatever your weather can throw at them - the SG9665GC is a popular one at the moment - @wozzzzza tests them out and he's over your way too :)

He's from Australia and the cameras are designed to take whatever your weather can throw at them - the SG9665GC is a popular one at the moment - @wozzzzza tests them out and he's over your way too :)

He's from Cairns which is an extra torture test

Looks like the metal springs in the contact pins have melted!

I wonder if maybe just the circuit board holding the pins has come loose and fallen into the mount? It may be nothing to do with heat...

So im on my second mini 0806 after the first one had a GPS issue after two weeks. I received a v3 replacement model.
get a SG9665GC, they will survive, just don't get a blackspew, I have gone through 2 of them up here as well from the heat, they just don't survive.

:eek: That's not good! Maybe I should have researched a little longer?

I am guessing you leave yours in the car, at all times, right?

Wow, that's crazy, it must get crazy hot there compared to here in North Carolina. Mines still going strong after almost a year but I have it mounted behind a piece of 20% window tint, so it doesn't get the sun straight on. The only problem I have is if I run it for 30 mins it may only have a GPS connection for 2 of those minutes, which could also be because it's behind tint.

It hasnt gotten that hot here, it just slowly sagged over the past 5 months which was cool weather for the most part.

I've got 15% tints on my car with a sunstrip and i usually park it under shade. I think the plastic just warped from the heat and vibration.

You should look into the Street Guardian cameras which are on sale in the US and @jokiin here heads up.

Thanks i will look at this model. i need one asap for a trip this weekend!

Anyone know a good place to order it from in Australia?

This site has on sale for $248AU. Good price?

Looks like the metal springs in the contact pins have melted!

I wonder if maybe just the circuit board holding the pins has come loose and fallen into the mount? It may be nothing to do with heat...

The pins look fine, you can press them down and they pop back up. If i lift/support the camera from the mount it makes the connection again.

I am guessing you leave yours in the car, at all times, right?

Yeap

Cheers jokiin.

Ive ordered one, hopefully it arrives before friday.

Wow so quick, it arrived 24 hours later. Gold stars for strathfield car radios.

Ill install it tonight and see how it goes. Looks like a good design so far.

Any questions ask away, getting on a plane later today so might not see your questions but one of the other guys would no doubt help out if you get stuck on anything

jokiin, why don't you just purchase the rights to the mini 0806 design and build it correctly. :)

jokiin, why don't you just purchase the rights to the mini 0806 design and build it correctly. :)

the design on that one is owned by a German customer, there's a long story goes with that product

actually when the 0801 was first released we did look at buying the chassis and doing our own internals but decided against it in the end

So i tested the SG9665GC for a trip today in the Hilux. I've been reviewing the recordings using Registration Viewer.

GPS - Very accurate speed and location, matched my Garmin GPS perfectly. Cold start lock-on while moving was pretty good.
Audio - High quality, voices and music is clear. No buzzing or ground loops. Good codec rates.
Video - Quality is very good, though i was expecting better compared to the Mini 0806. Video is also stable on bumpy roads.

Here is a sample vid (overcast weather then going into a dark cave)

Also heres a pic i took of the cave with a D800 (Exmor Sensor).

Anyway happy camper so far, will buy another for my other car if it survives the next 3 months of summer.

So after sending back the camera to Dashcamaustralia and getting it back this morning, they just replaced the mount and didnt even look or test at the camera!

It is still bent as hell, the ring cannot rotate at all and theres something wrong with the lens.

Attached is a captured image using the camera against a piece of white paper, you can see a thick black bar and a discolouration on the bottom right.

Anyway i filed a paypal dispute, im sick of sending it back and forth at my cost.

Attachments

• AMBA0003.JPG
    AMBA0003.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
So after sending back the camera to Dashcamaustralia and getting it back this morning, they just replaced the mount and didnt even look or test at the camera!

It is still bent as hell, the ring cannot rotate at all and theres something wrong with the lens.

Attached is a captured image using the camera against a piece of white paper, you can see a thick black bar and a discolouration on the bottom right.

Anyway i filed a paypal dispute, im sick of sending it back and forth at my cost.

Sadly, that's why it's important to always purchase from an authorized reputable seller. :(

sadly they normally are considered to be a good seller, maybe something went wrong as it seems out of character

Yes, that's true and I certainly hope you are right. Not being very familiar with Dashcamaustralia, perhaps I was too quick to judge. Every company is entitled to make a mistake. I've made plenty. The true measure of the company is how they respond. Let's hope they do the right thing for flip9. :)

Back