Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
mini 0803, mini 0806
Hello,

I've got a working mini 0806 with firmware: "0806 GD 20150511 V1.0"
bYWUYMF.jpg

This unit works without any problem with a Samsung 16GB micro SDHC card.

If I install my new Samsung EVO 128GB micro SDHC XC card, then power the unit on, it begins to record, then appears to freeze. No error, no further recording, won't switch off.

If I remove the card in this frozen state, I sometimes get an error "card too slow!" or similar. If I get that error, I can then power off the cam.

If I don't get that error, the unit has completely locked up and I have to wait for the battery to run flat.
  • This card has been formatted as 128GB exFat (both under Windows 8.1 and inside the camera) - same fault.
  • Re-created MBR - same fault. Tried as GPT and MSDOS types - using gparted (Kubuntu) and then Windows disk manager - same fault.
  • Created 64GB FAT32 partition - same fault.
This card reads and writes without issue in my PC and laptop.

Has anyone had any issues with this type of card?

OorX6dL.jpg

Thank you.

Running that test now - it's predicting 11 hours to run???

So, has anyone had any issues with this card?

I've tried FAT32 prior to posting - had the same problem. Seems the camera does not like this card. :(

not all programs will format large cards FAT32 in a way that the camera is ok with, that program in particular will, if the card checks out and it won't work exFAT, try FAT32 with that program, if it still doesn't work then you have a camera issue, talk to the seller or live with 32gb as the max supported size

Hi,

Did the card finally work I am planing on buying 128GB card if doesn't work I will go with 64GB

In my experience this cam does not like 128GB at all. It would do ok on 64GB if card is good quality. The cam is not fully developed and has other issues which manufacturer is addressing as and when RMA's pile in. But what if the guarantee runs out?

When I purchased the 64 GB EVO it never worked - immediately 3 beeped. From my experience and feedback here, this card is NOT recommended for the 0806 (even though I have been able to use it for general purpose file copying on my laptop and desktop). The Samsung 64 GB Pro Plus is what is recommended. I have purchased it a couple of months ago and have had no problems/issues with it. This is the card you should use.

I had problems with Samsung EVO cards so now use Integral ones with no issues.

Last edited:
Hi,
Got a Samsung EVO+ 64GB card from BestBuy, format in the camera and working great, no issues.

In my experience this cam does not like 128GB at all. It would do ok on 64GB if card is good quality. The cam is not fully developed and has other issues which manufacturer is addressing as and when RMA's pile in. But what if the guarantee runs out?

take it easy. no P/N or producing date marked on camera.

I also have issues with 128G card. Although it kind of works, camera fails to recognise it almost every time it starts with the engine. However, if i switch it off and then on using camera button, mini recognises card perfectly well.
I have two cameras and they both showing the same symptoms.
Tried to update the firmware - no luck.
Any other advise?

Try a speed test using CrystalDiskMark, and compare the results with a known good card, like this:

CDM-PP.jpg

Try a speed test using CrystalDiskMark, and compare the results with a known good card, like this

I will do the test but I'm not sure how the observed behaviour is linked to the card's IO speed: when it is recognised, i.e. when i start it with the button, it works perfectly well.

Most of the failures I've had on my 0806 are on power up or soon after. (Or hitting the save button.)
I'm sure it's something to do with file management, which unlike streaming of video data can involve small, random writes. I think this is where the memory cards fall over. They are more than capable of storing sequential (video) data, but if the file system needs tidying up (e.g. after two rapid startups as can happen on turning the ignition key) the cards can't write that kind of data quickly enough. It's a personal theory, but as you can see from the image I posted above, there is a huge difference in writing speed depending on the nature of the data.

I just want to reiterate: when card is recognised it never fails afterwards. So, i still don't believe this is SD card speed related.
I did test two cards with the tool you suggested and it kind of proves my point.
Attached both cards results.
Here is 128G card results:
test.png
And here is a smaller card results.
test-2.png
The second one never had issues, i used it continuously for about six months.
As you can see it is significantly slower.
I used the camera with number of 32G and 64G cards and never had issues.

I think the root cause of the issue is that 128G card requires a little bit more power to fire up. When it is fired from the button, i.e. from the internal power source, probably it has enough, however when it powers up from the external source, i.e. when camera first should recognise that external power is applied and then use the external power to initialise card, may be it has a little but less power than necessary.
Another observation kind of proves that point as well: the camera starts with 128G card ok from cold. Since resistance dependent on the temperature that might explain why there is enough power to initialise the card in such circumstances.

Back