Mini 0806 vs Mobius ActionCam - 4 May 2015

It would be easy enough to bump the exposure slider up a bit on the Mobius to more closely match the 0806, if so desired.

it does have an incredible amount of configurability, probably a lot more than most people can get their head around

it does have an incredible amount of configurability, probably a lot more than most people can get their head around

It's one of the great things about the Mobius. This winter I was having some trouble with exposure from the rear mounted Mobius in my truck because the bed was full of snow and the camera struggled to deal with bright sunlight reflecting off of it. I was able to tweak the exposure to normalize the camera's view of the road and while I was at it I adjusted the color temperature to be a little warmer for the duration of the bleak gray winter. Come spring I needed to go back to the defaults of course and was a little amazed at how much I had changed the settings.

In all fairness, the 0806 has some decent exposure adjustments compared with many dash cams, although not quite so fine grained or extensive as the Mobius. I believe the 0806 has six levels of exposure adjustment, plus or minus as opposed to the 128 level +/- slider on the Mobius.

In all fairness, the 0806 has some decent exposure adjustments compared with many dash cams, although not quite so fine grained or extensive as the Mobius. I believe the 0806 has six levels of exposure adjustment, plus or minus as opposed to the 128 level +/- slider on the Mobius.

actually those are just Ambarella defaults that any manufacturer can offer, most chipsets offer the same, what the Mobius guys have done with their solution though is way over and above what's available in the SDK

actually those are just Ambarella defaults that any manufacturer can offer, most chipsets offer the same, what the Mobius guys have done with their solution though is way over and above what's available in the SDK

With the exception of my AL7 0806 the other Ambarella based cameras I have are of a much older vintage which I seem to recall had few increments of exposure adjustment so the 0806 is my only frame of reference. I would need to check. Thanks for clarifying. In any event, it's quite amazing what the Mobius guys have squeezed out of the technology and it will be interesting to see what they eventually do with a new DSP.

Yeah the exposure adjustments they have in the 0806 is just default Ambarella settings, what the devs have done with the Mobius is really exceptional, hopefully their next product is based on one of the new Novatek chips as they far exceed what's possible on the current platform

What Nigel has achieved with the firmware update he's provided for the 0806 has proved to be quite exceptional, though credit due to the Mobius team, the video quality in the daytime of the Mobius isn't far behind. Makes me wonder just how far advanced the Mobius V2 will be in terms of video resolution when compared to the Mini 0806 when it is finally unleashed.

I would say that the 0806 is slightly sharper in terms of recording crisp static objects, and retains much more detail in shadows, yet it blurs oncoming number-plates which isn't so good compared to the cheaper and possibly more robust Mobius.

I've played around with the gamma values in VLC of both cameras and have to say that the 0806 provided more detail which can be used but it can't overcome the blurring of number-plates which the Mobius has no problem with.

As it currently stands, the 0806 and Mobius are outstandingly good cameras, so leave the decision as to which to buy up to you...

to be fair all that has happened in the firmware you're running is an increase in bitrate which most Ambarella A7 cameras benefit from and why everyone takes the tools from @Tobi@s and modifies them in the first place, the rest of what it does and how it performs is as per the standard firmware, why they provide a hacked firmware for download instead of doing it themselves is questionable

to be fair all that has happened in the firmware you're running is an increase in bitrate which most Ambarella A7 cameras benefit from and why everyone takes the tools from @Tobi@s and modifies them in the first place, the rest of what it does and how it performs is as per the standard firmware, why they provide a hacked firmware for download instead of doing it themselves is questionable

Interesting comment, so would an increase in the bitrate improve the quality of the video footage of the Mobius, if so, how can it be done?

Interesting comment, so would an increase in the bitrate improve the quality of the video footage of the Mobius, if so, how can it be done?

there's diminishing returns and bitrate isn't everything, the Ambarella A7 needs 20+ before it really starts to shine, other chipsets can get away with less, at low bitrates the Ambarella will struggle

bumping up the bitrate on the Mobius is not going to make huge differences, not something you can do yourself though regardless, the Ambarella tools that everyone uses only really came about due to GoPro, get a huge enough user base and people will find a way, Novatek is far too small by comparison to be likely enough to gain that kind of enthusiast user base

Back