Mini 0806 won't power off!

Batvan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum but have been reading some useful information as a lurker:) but time has come for me to join.

I purchased a new mini 0806 from Combi-uk last week, camera is installed & it really works well, quite impressed overall:)

But I do have 1 slight issue when powering off the camera via the cigarette lighter?

Installed the new 3rd batch mini 0806 today & everything is all working as it should, great quality on 2304x1296 playback via PC
emoticon-0100-smile.gif
the only issue I'm having: (hopefully someone might know) is that when I unplug the cigarette lighter plug to turn off the camera, I know you have to wait an extra 10 seconds until the camera actually powers off! But my camera seems to freeze on the screen when I unplug the power lead
emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif
& it locks up, I have to hold the power button down for 20 seconds, I have checked all the settings for power etc & everything is set up correctly? (To Off) So what can I do to resolve this, as my G1W would never do this when I unplugged the power lead?

Can anyone help that has maybe had this issue, I'm thinking to send it back! As the only way I've noticed is too turn the camera off via the button & then unplug the cigarette power lead but I don't want to be doing this all the time!!
emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Any advise it tips would be appreciated

Do you have another power adaptor you can try? Or maybe try the camera with a USB charger or USB powerbank to see if it has a general problem with power loss or if your power adaptor is sending it something it can't cope with.

This is not normal behaviour, but it could be down to the camera or the power adaptor.

Hi Nigel

I don't have another power adaptor to try but I just tried the half a metre lead it comes with in to my iPhone plug, with the lead plugged directly into the camera (no gps base) & the camera has locked up again with a grey screen, when you unplug the power

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking it's definitely the camera?

Hi Nigel

I don't have another power adaptor to try but I just tried the half a metre lead it comes with in to my iPhone plug, with the lead plugged directly into the camera (no gps base) & the camera has locked up again with a grey screen, when you unplug the power

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking it's definitely the camera?
Does sound like a camera issue. Don't think I've heard of a similar problem with it locking up every time before.

It's worth asking Combi before giving up, just in case others in the batch had a similar issue. They are normally very good for support.

Cheers for the help ;) yeah I really like the mini 0806 it's nice & discreet, suppose it's just a little issue but I'll definitely will contact them, good to hear there pretty good for support.

Hopefully they will replace it or fix it

Typical! As soon as I post a issue, the camera now turns off! All I did different this time as my cigarette lighter is a permanent live, is, unplug the cigarette adaptor 1st while the engine is still running, camera took 10seconds to turn off & then I took the key out of the ignition, maybe it does not like me turning the engine of 1st, then unplugging the cigarette adaptor?

So from now on, I will unplug the cigarette adaptor 1st before turning off the engine (key)

I will keep this thread updated in-case someone-else might experience the same problem/issue

:)

So I spoke to Combi today & the guy was very helpful :) I had a few things set-up wrong on the camera, 1 was loop recording set to 3mins now changed to 1min & the power off delay set to off(0) which needed changing to (1 min) now when I unplug the camera from the cigarette lighter, the camera now switches off correctly & does not crash/lock-up, this is due to having the loop on 3mins & when I unplug the camera, its still in the process of recording files & by unplugging, I interrupt the 3min loop & cause the camera to lock-up, but now changed to 1min on loop & power off now on 1min, the camera now powers off ;) Thanks Nigel for your assistance & Combi's support is really friendly & helpful

I don't believe those settings should make any difference to your problem, but what matters is that it works!

If you still have some problems then it is worth thinking about wiring it into the car ignition system so that it comes on automatically when you turn the ignition on and goes off when you turn the ignition off. Apart from being far more convenient, several people have had start up and shutdown issues resolved by connecting directly. Remember it needs 5V though-you need to use the/an adaptor.

It could be it was trying to record for 3 mins after power went off, but the internal battery ran down, but even then it should power down.
Another thought is that cigarette lighter plugs can be incredibly flaky/electrically noisy, so pulling the plug to shut down could be a problem.

So I spoke to Combi today & the guy was very helpful :) I had a few things set-up wrong on the camera, 1 was loop recording set to 3mins now changed to 1min & the power off delay set to off(0) which needed changing to (1 min) now when I unplug the camera from the cigarette lighter, the camera now switches off correctly & does not crash/lock-up, this is due to having the loop on 3mins & when I unplug the camera, its still in the process of recording files & by unplugging, I interrupt the 3min loop & cause the camera to lock-up, but now changed to 1min on loop & power off now on 1min, the camera now powers off ;) Thanks Nigel for your assistance & Combi's support is really friendly & helpful

Not sure why its now working as mine is set to 3 mins and delay off set to off and it works exactly as it should.

Well them settings made no difference now! I read the posts above & thought to go & try it again, with the same power off fault still being an issue :( I'm sending it back to Combi as instructed by the person I spoke too.

I still think its the camera & Ive also noticed that when the camera locks-up when I unplug the cigarette lighter adaptor, sometimes the time & date default back to there original state/value when the camera switches back on?

I can't see how pulling the plug could be a problem as I did this with my G1W camera for the past year, year & a half & the G1W never behaved in this way! I also have a Origin B2 device working off of the cigarette lighter adaptor & that never has an issue when I pull the plug?

Hopefully the kind guy @ Combi can either repair it or replace it :) But I think if it starts to play up in any other way, then I will have to revert back to the trusted G1W, I only upgraded to the mini 0806 because of the discreetness & GPS.

Thanks guys for your help to which made me go back out to test the camera ;)

Had a phone call from Lee @ Combi yesterday & he has confirmed of the mini 0806 to be faulty! to which he is sending me out a replacement, I should receive it either today or tomorrow, he has fully tested the new unit & has confirmed that it works perfectly as it should ;) I have to say what great friendly & prompt service I have received from Combi, customer satisfaction as it should be :) If anyone is in the market for a mini 0806 http://www.combi.org.uk/categories/6/Mini-0801-DVR then I recommend Combi, hassle free service with outstanding customer care. you might be paying an extra £15-£20.00 for the camera from Combi compared to Amazon but your dealing with a UK company with outstanding service.

I will update once I receive my new replacement & let everyone know how its all going

Ok, So new camera arrived this morning from Combi & even with my settings set as per my original post! the mini 0806 now switches off :) when the power is pulled out via the cigarette adaptor lighter ;) takes around 10seconds to fully power off, which I think is correct? so a big thanks to everyone's help & advise on here for helping me out & a BIG thanks to Lee @ Combi ;) to who I recommend if anyone is after a mini 0806 as the after service/support is outstanding, great customer care & replaced my camera as he found the 1st camera faulty.

power it from the port in the camera and you ll have less future problems..

was a stupid idea of the mini series to give 3 power points, two of which go through metal contacts...

Yes, about 10 seconds is the correct shutdown time, good to hear that the new one is working well.

power it from the port in the camera and you ll have less future problems..

was a stupid idea of the mini series to give 3 power points, two of which go through metal contacts...

Cheers for the heads-up, I'll have to try a get a bit more slack from the cable somehow ;)

Yes, about 10 seconds is the correct shutdown time, good to hear that the new one is working well.

Nice 1 :)

Well, this afternoon, just as I got home the mini0806 gave a momentary crackle/screech sound and won't turn off.
It has been removed from the vehicle (hardwire kit) and the red and blue LEDS has been on for the whole time (about 30~40 minutes now).
Pressing the button on the end for any length of time does nothing.
Connecting it to a laptop does nothing, not even recognized.
Connecting it back on the base unit in the car and starting / shutting down the car does nothing.
The whole time the only thing is that the LEDS remain lit up?

Update [1]: just pressed the end button and now the screen has come to life with a static view of whatever it was pointing at when it came on - image does not change when the camera is moved.
Update [2]: Screen has just gone off again as I was typing but LEDS remain lit?
Pressed the end button again and nothing happens.

Update [3]: Quite some time has passed - the LEDS eventually went out and the camera fitted back in the car. Started the car and all seems well again. Weird or what.
Cheers

Last edited:
Paul check your card

Hi
The card had been removed and was placed in my card slot on the laptop.
The files showed up okay and played back correctly through Registration Viewer.

I don't think that there is a problem with the card.
IF I had to re-format the card at anytime, it has to be done when in the camera - is that correct?

Thanks

Hi Paul,
normally the card should be re-formated in camera every two weeks to make sure the file system correct.

Back