Mini 0807 Dashcam review (Ambarella A7, Sony IMX322, GPS, dual SD card, OBD, parking mode)

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
Mini 0807 Dashcam review (Ambarella A7, Sony IMX322, GPS, dual SD card, OBD, parking mode, ADAS, motion detection)

Thanks to GearBest for supplying this unit.

Product Link: Official website: http://www.skyhigh-global.com/En/Pr...862928&CorpProductClass1_ID=126522&id=1497596
Coupon code: 0807GB
Price: $81.99USD w/ free shipping

Review:

Best Mini dashcam so far? Possibly. The 0807 is easily the most advanced dashcam of the Mini series.

From the manufacturers of the Mini 0826, Mini 0805, etc... Skyhigh just released the Mini 0807 as the newest addition to their line up. It seems as though they've finally listened to user feedback and introduced the features that we've all been asking for.

The Mini 0807 is the first in the range to implement a super capacitor. This should provide better long term reliability as compared to battery-based units. This is especially important for those of us that use a dashcam for: extended periods of time, parking mode, and/or in extreme hot/cold climates.

The 0807 is spec'ed with the tried and true Ambarella A7 processor, but paired with the Sony IMX322 2.1MP CMOS sensor this time. The IMX322 has been known to provide better video quality, especially at night. The trade off is that the the IMX322 is limited to 1080p 30fps so the 0807 won't be able to output video at the higher resolutions seen in previous Mini dashcams. That being said, video quality is still quite good in most situations, as seen in the sample clips below.

The 0807 has reintroduced the dual SD card slot switcher, supporting up to 128GB per slot (256GB total). This unit also features a GPS built-in into the mounting base, which can be useful if you want a speed stamp in your videos. You can also use the Registrator Viewer to see the GPS data on a map.

gsXB8Fbh.png

Perhaps the biggest addition to the Mini is the parking mode which works in conjunction with OBD and the G-sensor. If the unit is powered via the OBD port (OBD cable supplied), the Mini 0807 will be able to receive continuous power even if the car is shut off. There are different settings available for parking mode, but the most useful one should be the "pre-buffered" setting which allows the camera to start recording and save footage if there is an event (ie. impact, motion detection). Another useful parking mode is the low-FPS setting (timelapse?). Parking mode actually works on the Mini 0807, unlike almost every other Chinese dashcam that false advertises.

According to the manual, the 0807 can detect battery voltage and will cut power to the unit if the voltage falls below 11.8V. I haven't personally tested the cut off feature to that limit, but my car did not have any issues starting when I had parking mode set for a week. This unit also has Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) but I did not test those out.

Note: One noticeable issue that I've encountered is an occasional out-of-focus image. This seems to be caused by high temperatures affecting the lens mount. From my testing, the video will be in good focus in the morning but after parking my car out in the sun for the day, the video may be slightly blurry by the time I get back after work. The weather has been about 30 degrees Celsius lately in Toronto, ON. See screen shots below.

RLPTThM.png
ESW0s5Q.png

Other users on the dashcamtalk forum have reported the same issue. One user has successfully refocused the lens for a sharper image, but this requires taking the Mini 0807 apart. Also note, Skyhigh has recently released a firmware update which offers improvements in various areas such as video quality and GPS lock on cold start.

At $82USD, it's definitely one of the better dashcams on the market. There are no complaints about the design of the unit, and the new features are definitely welcomed. Highly recommended, if they can fix the focus issue in later batches of the 0807.

Some other dashcams worth checking out at this price range: Xiaomi Yi, Mini 0826.

Sample clips:

Photos:

akf1QJqh.jpg

Byxiw27h.jpg

966IzNVh.jpg

3a1LSn1h.jpg

Specifications and feature list:
  • Ambarella A7LA50 chipset
  • Sony IMX322 2.1MP CMOS
  • 135 degree viewing angle lens
  • 1.5 inch TFT LCD screen
  • Dual TF card (not included) / loop recording between card A and card B (external), 128GB max. each card
  • Route tracking via GPS (with GPS mount base)
  • Support playback on camera / TV / computer
  • Super capacitor
  • Wide Dynamic Range (WDR)
  • GPS logging / speed stamp / driver number / time stamp
  • G-sensor and motion detection
  • ADAS Support (LDWS, FCW, FCMD)
    • LDWS (Land Departure Warning System)
    • FCW (Forward Collision Warning)
    • FCMD (Forward Car Motion Detection)
  • Seamless loop recording (1min, 3min, 5min)
  • Parking guard: low frame mode / normal mode / off / pre-record mode (via OBD)
  • Camera rotating 160 degree for reverse mounting
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080 30P 16:9 / 1280 x 720 60P 16:9 / 1280 x 720 30P 16:9
  • Video frame rate: 30fps / 60fps
  • Video format: MOV (H.264)

Box contents:

1 x Mini 0807 Car DVR + GPS Bracket,
1 x OBD II Cable (approx. 2.5m),
1 x USB Cable (approx. 70cm),
1 x Car Charger (approx. 3m),
2 x Film,
1 x Lens Cleaning Cloth,
2 x Adhesive Sticker,
6 x Cable Clips
1 x Instruction Manual (English)

Last edited:
If the Mini 807 is only connecting to pwr and gnd through the OBD2 connector then how is it sensing between driving and parking modes??? Is it relying on the GPS for detecting when driving or parked? Thanks in advance.

If the Mini 807 is only connecting to pwr and gnd through the OBD2 connector then how is it sensing between driving and parking modes??? Is it relying on the GPS for detecting when driving or parked? Thanks in advance.
Might be a little late but it senses the voltage that the car is putting out. When the car is on the voltage the alternator is giving is 13.0 + volts. A car with a bad alternator will even get 12.8+ volts. When the car turns off the power for the car switches to the battery which is 12 - 12.5 volt and that is when it senses it and switches into parking mode. All done automatically.

Back