Mini 0807 Video Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, been awhile since I've had a review but I have had this mini 0807 for some time now. Here is the video review:

A few notes to point out, I did have issues with the GPS not getting signal quite often. this was something many people complained about on the last mini cam i reviewed but I didn't recall having that many problems with that one.

But this one is pretty cool because it has an OBDII power cord, with parking mode. So instead of requiring a hard wire kit with add-a-circuits you just plug it into your OBDII port under your dash on the drivers side and it will know when your car is on or off. There are 3 parking modes, pre record which buffers some video and saves a clip (including several seconds before the impact) if it feels an impact, a time lapse mode that just constantly records 1 frame per second while your car is off, and a motion detection mode which I do not recommend because it starts recording 4-5 seconds after it senses motion, not before.

Check out the video review above for all the details, I think it is a good option if you don't care that the GPS doesn't work well (although maybe mine was a bad one, I wouldn't count on it though considering how many people had issues with other mini cams gps) and want a cam with a decent parking mode and very easy to set up with the OBDII cord.

I did not mention in the video, but you can see at 1:45 when I saw the pamphlet it is a super capacitor cam.

Everyone on this forum knows how bad the Mini series are,this one won't be any different but you can connect to your 60k cars OBD port why it destroys your ECU through malfunction ...NO Thanks.

The cars OBD port is for manufactures to communicate with your cars brains not to connect a cheap untested dashcam to get power.

Everyone on this forum knows how bad the Mini series are,this one won't be any different but you can connect to your 60k cars OBD port why it destroys your ECU through malfunction ...NO Thanks.

The cars OBD port is for manufactures to communicate with your cars brains not to connect a cheap untested dashcam to get power.

to be honest I'd be very hesitant to connect any dashcam to the OBD port, even we're only talking about power and earth I wouldn't put it past a service department to try and get out of unrelated warranty issues due to a third party device being connected to a service port, the dashcam could well have nothing to do with any problem but the dealer holds the balance of power in deciding who ends up footing the bill with this type of thing, very risky I think

to be honest I'd be very hesitant to connect any dashcam to the OBD port, even we're only talking about power and earth I wouldn't put it past a service department to try and get out of unrelated warranty issues due to a third party device being connected to a service port, the dashcam could well have nothing to do with any problem but the dealer holds the balance of power in deciding who ends up footing the bill with this type of thing, very risky I think

My thoughts exactly

Never seen anyone claim this about lukas who also supports OBD connection. Has there been any documented case of a dash cam causing a problem? There are hundreds of devices now that connect to the OBD port, even from companies like AT&T, dozens of products at best buy, target, walmart etc. unless it specifically says connecting any of the hundreds of available products to your OBD port voids your warranty, I would expect to see that in writing. if a dealer or shop is going to claim that, they are likely ****ty enough to claim that connecting a dash cam to your fuse box is bad. i had people at o'reilly's auto parts tell me its bad to connect any devices with an add-a-circuit to the fuse box in any way even tho they sell add-a-circuits.

if it is against the warranty tho, i wouldn't do it.... or i would at least unplug and remove it anytime i brought it into the dealer hah.

forgetting the quality/reliability issues for a moment, from my two 08XX mini’s from day one I thought the mount at best was rubbish and I ended up having to bodge the mount on my forward facing 0806 mini to stop it from rocking up and down while driving

I was very surprised to see when the new models 08XX came out, they still had the very weak and flimsy mount, so they took absolutely no notice of this issue

now I find the mount on my rear facing mini 0805 is sagging due to the weight of the body of the DVR, the plastic has been bending

nice idea let down badly by bad design, and this is before we talk about reliability

The 0905 is still using this mount and you are right the manufacture does not listen but still expect to bring out new models and sell them.

Not a risk I'm willing to take as a supplier
http://www.ptolemus.com/blog/obd-dongles-and-oem-warranties/

Everything I've read says they won't void your warranty and its basically considered a port for use by consumers now.

I've never once heard of any case where someone was denied service because they used their OBD port. Only people claiming it "could" happen.

It seems it comes down to the manufacturers. I trust you wouldn't release a crappy product tho.

Ive seen so many ads for OBD devices, just saw another last night for monitoring kids driving. The fear seems unfounded.

challenge is we have distributors in multiple countries, are they viewed the same everywhere, legal minefield that I'd rather avoid, in a lot of vehicles the position is not practical to be used while driving so it's not always the ideal solution anyway

I did find a few posts on a chevy volt forum where people had error messages that were using diagnostic OBD devices

Here's one
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...an-OBD2-device#/topics/58305?page=1&_k=azdl7p

The few I found seemed to be taking actual data tho too not just power.

I read the EU has ruled that aftermarket devices must be supported but it seemed to mostly be talking about diagnostic devices and not specifically ones that run all the time.

But even then it seems uncommon considering millions of people use them for cheaper insurance.

I certainly wouldn't connect any Mini Series to my OBD port with their past history you would be asking for trouble. Your not talking a replacement cheap $50 Chinese camera here you will be talking $1000s in a new ECU and reprogramming.

From the feedback we get from our Mini0807 wholesaler and retailer, there is no camera impact OBD complain till now , and we have low voltage pretection, if the car battery voltage is lower than setting voltage , camera can not start ,we think camera will not damage the car computer. There are also many dash camera using OBD II cable as hard wire kit in the market now ,they also get power . Mini0807 using super capacitor , the reliable improve much, we are making new GPS base now , we think GPS issue will be solved. We thanks for everyone who give us feedback then we can improve our quality !

From a manufacture who can't even spell " protection" and who "thinks" it will be ok - No Thanks.

From a manufacture who can't even spell " protection" and who "thinks" it will be ok - No Thanks.
are you really going to just attack her personally because english is not her first language?

If the OBD connection is ONLY getting power, how is it going to ruin something and need reprogramming? Unless someone wants to correct me here, there are couple connections, just for power, its not connecting to the cars computer at all. Jokiin was actually rational and saying he is worried a shop might use that as an excuse to not provide service which is a legitimate concern. But you're just making baseless claims about ruining a cars computer and being disrespectful to someone for no reason.

I certainly wouldn't connect any Mini Series to my OBD port with their past history you would be asking for trouble. Your not talking a replacement cheap $50 Chinese camera here you will be talking $1000s in a new ECU and reprogramming.

are you one to make fun of someone's english when you don't know the difference between your and you're?

@Joy if you could manage to provide proof that this OBD connection only connects to power that would be great, it is something I would like to know for sure too.

USDashCamera are you really going to just attack her personally because english is not her first language?

How do I know English is not her first language? Just because it states China doesn't mean they are Chinese does it.

USDashCamera If the OBD connection is ONLY getting power, how is it going to ruin something and need reprogramming? Unless someone wants to correct me here, there are couple connections, just for power, its not connecting to the cars computer at all. Jokiin was actually rational and saying he is worried a shop might use that as an excuse to not provide service which is a legitimate concern. But you're just making baseless claims about ruining a cars computer and being disrespectful to someone for no reason.

Anyone with common sense would not plug anything into the OBD port never mind a cheap Chinese camera, the OBD port has been put there for one reason and one reason only like your bum hole not for plugging things in it is it!.

USDashCamera are you one to make fun of someone's english when you don't know the difference between your and you're?

So it's OK for you to make fun of me is it!! when you don't even start your sentences with capitals, how do you know English is my first language. I think we will stop this schoolyard banter before it goes to far and we both regret it. Everyone is allowed an opinion because it's an open forum.

USDashCamera if you could manage to provide proof that this OBD connection only connects to power that would be great, it is something I would like to know for sure too.

Best speak to the cars manufactures and see if they approve of plugging cheap cams into the OBD port, more important would it VOID the cars warranty especially if something went wrong.

My comments was not directed @ Joy in "person" ( Direct ) and sorry it come across that way sorry Joy my bad English . It was more the Chinese company and how they try to convince us all everything will be OK and it is a great product when in fact all that matters is sales figures and spreadsheets, quality control comes last on the list just look at the 0903 and that camera is still for sale even though many problems we all know of.

Last edited:
are you really going to just attack her personally because english is not her first language?

If the OBD connection is ONLY getting power, how is it going to ruin something and need reprogramming? Unless someone wants to correct me here, there are couple connections, just for power, its not connecting to the cars computer at all. Jokiin was actually rational and saying he is worried a shop might use that as an excuse to not provide service which is a legitimate concern. But you're just making baseless claims about ruining a cars computer and being disrespectful to someone for no reason.

are you one to make fun of someone's english when you don't know the difference between your and you're?

@Joy if you could manage to provide proof that this OBD connection only connects to power that would be great, it is something I would like to know for sure too.

Here you go:

obd2mini0807.PNG obd2pinout.PNG
Clearly you can see it connects only to 4 and 16.

Hope it helped...

Sorry for my English (not my first language), if any complain...

some OBD power adaptors I've pulled apart and checked have a 5V power converter inside with little or no protection of components, always concerns me with some of these that if a component let go and had a meltdown there's no accounting for what it may short in the process, not suggesting this one is like that but some of the ones I've seen are very poorly made

Back