Mini 0906 still worth buying?

weltallica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My 0803 is showing all the signs of a failing battery (not saving/corrupted last file when engine turns off), so it's time to buy a new dashcam.

The 0906 seems decent for a budget buyer, but have all the reported issue been fixed, or are additional purchases required?

The 0906 Pro sounds nice, but I don't think it's worth being double the price of the 0906:

• Improved Front camera quality (10%)
  • Improved Rear quality (50%)
  • WiFi support
  • Parking Guard improvements
  • Power Saving
  • Anti-stun extending cable "to avoid mistake installation"
The wi-fi doesn't concern me, although the 50% rear cam quality sounds nice. It's that last one that concerns me. Forum threads for the 0906 show a firmware upgrade will be required, which will be easy enough, but also people are getting a new Rear Cable to fix freezing issues, which can only be arranged via PM. Is this cable obtainable elsewhere?

I have a Kingmax 32GB Class-6 SDHC Card. Is that considered "High speed"?

Again, 0906 Pro seems like a nice upgrade, but I just can't justfy the double price.

Again, 0906 Pro seems like a nice upgrade, but I just can't justfy the double price.
Is it really double the price? Much closer here.

I have a Kingmax 32GB Class-6 SDHC Card. Is that considered "High speed"?
No, that is very far from high speed, however it may well be quick enough and you don't need anything more than quick enough.

Note that the cards do have a limited life, so if it is a well used card then you may need a new one at some point anyway.

The 0906 seems decent for a budget buyer, but have all the reported issue been fixed, or are additional purchases required?
I'm not sure about the issues, haven't been following closely, although I didn't have any real problems with the original.

There are other options that are probably more reliable, but they also cost more, a reliable 0906 does seem good value.

The Mini series of cams has long had variable QC problems. The good ones perform well but you can't know if you'll get a good one until it's in your hands. There hasn't been much info on the Pro but it does have much improved imaging. You really have to consider that the 0906 is a budget-level dual cam so you're not going to get the best of anything at that price level. With the OP being in Australia I would recommend they go with a cam using supercaps, but that's about all I can offer without singling out another cam to discuss.

Phil

I bought 0906pro about 90$, but it has lots of problems. manufacturer no more responds to problems. I hope you buy some more reliable thing.

I bought 0906pro about 90$, but it has lots of problems. manufacturer no more responds to problems. I hope you buy some more reliable thing.
Yes, the reviews about the quality of Mini 0906Pro are not very positive also on the Russian 4PDA forum, according to information from one of the users who sent 0906Pro to the seller for exchange, the release of 0906Pro is discontinued :rolleyes:

Over here the mini 0906 and mini 0906 pro is a difference of ~US$12. Whichever one it is, I don't feel it's really worth the money unless you really must have two dashcams off one SD card, and have GPS logging. Otherwise there is a wide selection of single channel dashcams with Starvis sensors which you can get two of and still have spare change instead of one mini 0906/pro.

Yes, the reviews about the quality of Mini 0906Pro are not very positive also on the Russian 4PDA forum, according to information from one of the users who sent 0906Pro to the seller for exchange, the release of 0906Pro is discontinued :rolleyes:
I have only positive feelings about it. The picture and viewing angles are excellent, no complaints. If you buy a parking kit, you can leave the recorder to record events at night while parking. Due to its compact and nondescript appearance, it will not arouse interest on your glass.

I've had a 2 yr run with my 0906 on hw kit. One day it just refused to power on even with the cig lighter socket power wire.

I'm moving on to a different cam.

I purchased mine in April 2018. I've had no issues at all, even with the SD card, in this Texas heat. I wanted to buy a Pro model when they came out, but they never seemed to be in stock, and instead purchased a Viofo 129 Duo from Amazon. Excellent camera, no issues since installing about 5 months ago. If my 0906 ever fails, I'll get a Viofo.

I've bought my Mini 090 6+ CPL Filter + Rear + Official HW kit in-between 2017 to 2018.

Over the years, my most promenent issue is freezing/rebooting. So much so that it pushed me to wire the ACC and CONSTANT on a DPST ON/OFF switch that I've placed in the dashboard. It helps me reboot it quiet easily. Apart from that, nothing else.

Originally installed on my wife's 2013 Mitsi Outlander (upgraded on to a Viofo A129 Plus Duo), now transferred on to my 2013 Mitsi Mirage. It still runs perfectely. I have just tested the videos onto rdCAM Player, and everything works accordingly, speed and gps. Currently both have a 128gb Sandisk MAX Endurance.

And yes, being here in Australia, better to grab dashcams with super caps in it.

I must be one of the lucky ones - I bought the camera in 2018 and it's never given me any problems. if there is any minor complaint, the resolution, while good, is not good enough to capture license plates of the car in front of me unless I am very close - as in, right on their bumper. But for this price point, I can't complain, it's still good enough to provide evidence in the event of an accident.

You need to be very close with any dashcam, though a 4K one might let you do it a little further out, it is a side effect of the wide angle lenses in use on dash and action cameras.
It is also why some of us have a #2 camera in the windscreen with a 8 - 12 mm lens on it that let you see plated several car lengths away.

Any dashcam are indeed better than no dashcam.

Back