Mini 0906 TPMS interference

cool_kuba

Reaction score
Country
Poland
First installation of mini 0906 in Subaru Outback 2015 caused DAB radio interference because I routed power cable in left A-pilar. Also rear cable was too short to root on the floor so I ordered 8.5m cable recommended by manufacturer.
After hiding everything on the right side of the car I was very happy to notice that DAB interference is much lower now.
Unfortunately my happiness was short lived because after 20mins of driving TPMS error appeared on the dashboard, tyre pressure is okay so it must be interference again :(
Did anybody have similar problem?

Looks like this camera is not suited for modern car because of noise it produces, wherever I move the cable other problem pops up! Any ideas on how I could fix it will be greatly appreciated!

When I connected mine I used several ferrite cores from various cables I had in the house. I’ve have no problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI problems like this happen with many cars and many cams. Other than re-routing cables, moving cams, and using ferrite chokes there's not much that can be done for it. That cam may work perfectly in other cars, and another cam may work perfectly in yours. Or not. It is only by trying that you can know for sure.

In Aviation they have "Wiener's Laws"- #18: Exotic devices create exotic problems. #24: If at first you don't succeed...try a new system or a different approach. #29: Whenever you solve a problem you usually create one. You can only hope the one you created is less critical than the one you solved. These laws aren't all applicable to dashcams but some are good everywhere in our modern digital life.

Phil

I installed ferrite core on both ends of the cable. There is not much room to move cable around if I want to hide. I already excluded left pillar A because of DAB radio interference, headliner is also excluded because of airbags.
I will try to add few more ferrite cores and route cable differently in the trunk. If it is so common it would be nice to have an option to buy thicker better shielded cable for modern car :)

If it is so common it would be nice to have an option to buy thicker better shielded cable for modern car :)
Then it will be like the Viofo A129 where we don't hear many interference complaints but do hear lots of complaints about the cable being too thick!

Better shielding might help sometimes, but if the operating frequencies are aligned just so, there will be interference no matter what anyone does. And it's not just the dashcams to blame- car manufacturers could make their systems better too. So as we go father toward having electronic devices built into cars we will see more of this unless the car manufacturers do their part as well.

Phil

Then it will be like the Viofo A129 where we don't hear many interference complaints but do hear lots of complaints about the cable being too thick!
I know it would be nice to have an option to buy both versions if that could help.

I managed to find the problem!
It seems obvious now, seems that rear camera connector is not properly shielded (It is plastic not metal like USB)
Covering it with few layers of aluminium foil fixed the problem for me! (Hopefully for good)

Back