Mini 0906 vs 0806s

speuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a mini 0806 for a couple of years now without any issues, or rather none that a card 're format would solve. I'm now looking to add dash cams to two more cars. What is the latest thinking on 0806s and 0906. Is the 0906 now stable and free from overheating issues? How does the Sony sensor compare with the original?

Look forward to your thoughts.
Simon

I have been using a mini 0806 for a couple of years now without any issues, or rather none that a card 're format would solve. I'm now looking to add dash cams to two more cars. What is the latest thinking on 0806s and 0906. Is the 0906 now stable and free from overheating issues? How does the Sony sensor compare with the original?

Look forward to your thoughts.
Simon
0906 is much better at night. (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-do-the-3-headlamp-flashes-mean.30435/)

0906 is only 1080 resolution so in some ways it is not as good during the day, however the more sensitive sensor results in a lot less motion blur so in other ways it is better during the day, especially when cloudy.

0906 has front and rear views conveniently stored on one microSD card - big plus point.

0906 has a capacitor instead of battery, might quadruple its life span although it is not proven yet. You may need to hardwire it to something that doesn't get turned off when starting the engine, I've had a corrupted memory card a couple of times which I suspect was caused when starting the engine with a nearly empty capacitor.

All the issues including heat related ones appear to have been fixed.

Overall the 0906 is a nice replacement for the 0806, very similar fitting and setup, I have no intention of putting my 0806 back although it is still working fine after 2.5 years so it may get used elsewhere.

Thanks Nigel, much appreciated. I'm tempted to get a couple of the 0906 units, one to replace my 0806 in my x5 and the the other for the kids fiesta then transfer the 0806 to my wife's soft top. When the original 0806 gives up due to old age I'll replace it with the 0806s with capacitor.

Where did you purchase yours from? Seems like Ali Express are the cheapest if you don't mind waiting for delivery.

Nigel have a test unit i think, a few of us in here got those to beat on and find errors for MEG to fix before production start.

Thanks Nigel, much appreciated. I'm tempted to get a couple of the 0906 units, one to replace my 0806 in my x5 and the the other for the kids fiesta then transfer the 0806 to my wife's soft top. When the original 0806 gives up due to old age I'll replace it with the 0806s with capacitor.

Where did you purchase yours from? Seems like Ali Express are the cheapest if you don't mind waiting for delivery.
They are still very new at the moment, still the possibility of some minor issues coming to light, might be a good idea to just get one to start with and if you like it then get another, also if you are importing them then it may be a tax advantage to get one at a time.

Mine came direct from the manufacturer as a pre-production sample, so I've had it for some time and it has had decent testing.

Thanks Nigel good tip.

One last question.... does the parking guard feature work ok with hard wire kit?

One last question.... does the parking guard feature work ok with hard wire kit?
Should do with the correct hardwire kit for the 0906, I think it is the same one as for the 0903. It wont with a standard hardwire kit, needs the right signals.

I haven't tested the parking guard, but haven't heard of problems either.
Remember that it will half drain the car battery if left for a while so is best used only with cars that are regularly used and which do a reasonable mileage to recharge the batteries.

Thanks, I've been pondering hardwire kits. The one supplied with the 0906 only has min voltage protection at 11.5v but this seems too low and has no timer. Others seem to have a variety of min voltage but only 6 hour or 24 hour timer settings none of which are ideal so having a switch in the circuit might be the way to go as I generally park off the road.

Thanks, I've been pondering hardwire kits. The one supplied with the 0906 only has min voltage protection at 11.5v but this seems too low and has no timer. Others seem to have a variety of min voltage but only 6 hour or 24 hour timer settings none of which are ideal so having a switch in the circuit might be the way to go as I generally park off the road.
If all you want to do is turn it on/off with the hardwire kit then any will do as long as the output voltage is within USB spec. The official one also puts it into low frame rate mode while parked so that if it is left parked all weekend than the card will not loop around and overwrite the bit that you need.

Ideally I would leave it running on low frame rate but don't want to drain the battery. I'll try the official one and add a switch if parking mode drains the battery.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Thanks Nigel, I might order one from UK and one from Aliexpress. As you say UK guys will provide good warranty support and Chinese none. Yes one from China will be below duty threshold but I think that is only 2.5%.

For Parking Guard I think I will add a micro toggle double throw switch to toggle red constant power cable between always live and acc supply which goes off when car goes into sleep mode.

Thanks Nigel, I might order one from UK and one from Aliexpress. As you say UK guys will provide good warranty support and Chinese none. Yes one from China will be below duty threshold but I think that is only 2.5%.

For Parking Guard I think I will add a micro toggle double throw switch to toggle red constant power cable between always live and acc supply which goes off when car goes into sleep mode.
If the voltage cut-off is too low for you then you could connect it via a diode to drop the voltage a little, if it really does cut off at 11.5v and you connect it via a diode with a 0.7v drop then it will cut off at 12.2v battery voltage, which should be around 50% capacity for a typical lead acid battery.

Ah good thinking! Many thanks indeed. Would be easy to mount on one side of dt switch in line with constant feed. My X5 will probably cope as it is driven every day although BMWs do easily notice additional battery drain and trigger warning message. The other cars don't get driven every day and when they do it is often for short runs so being able to switch across to acc supply will be essential on those. They are garaged at home so only need to switch on power for parking mode occasionally.

Thanks again for tip, I like the diode idea

Hi bros,
for the exclusive Parking Guard hardwire kit, there are 4 bands you can choose the cut off voltage to be 11.8V / 12.0V / 12.2V / 12.4V, so the hardwire kit will not drain your acid cell.
1, it will auto cut off output when the battery voltage decrease to the setting limit;
2, it will provide parking signal to mini 0906 for Parking Guard function;
3, it will auto identify 12V / 24V vehicle input
4, it can be stickered to anywhere to avoid vibration
5, it works with othe no Parking Guard function cameras

QQ图片20170831105938.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rayman

That is perfect. Are these power supplies already shipping from distributors such as Ali Express and Combi?

Looking at Conkim seller. They have some units with the Sony Inc 292 rear camera and some with Sony Inc 322 rear camera. The latter is cheaper. Has Rahman changed the spec for rear camera?

Back