Mini 2 back of car install

efaust70

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I just ordered a Mini 2 and am wanting to hook it up the the rear window in my Subaru. I see that the long cable that comes with it is 13.3 ft. I’m guessing this won’t be long enough if I want to hide it in the trim and run it to the front of the car. Has anyone tried this and, if so, can you confirm that it will or won’t work?

If it won’t work, can I just buy a long usb a to usb micro and use that instead?

Thanks!

Welcome to DCT @efaust70 :)

You can "mock up" the plan using a measured string taped where you plan to run the cable. If it comes up short, it's best to use a ciggie plug extender instead of extending the USB side, as there's less voltage drop at 12V versus 5V, and a lot of USB extensions may not handle the current well.

Having said this, I have ran a cam with a 3m USB extension successfully myself using a top-grade cable but it's not "best practice" and can lead to cam malfunctions. If you must extend the USB use the shortest one possible and get at least a 24ga wire size. Also be such it's an all-copper cable, not "CCA"(copper-clad aluminum) as those degrade over time. "Monoprice" had good USB cables at good prices.

Phil

If your wire fall short, extend the 12 V side of things, extending the 5V USB cables can lead to havoc in the form of transmission loss, that cost me a recording on my rear camera of me getting rear ended 5 years ago.

Some cars actually have a 12 V socket in the boot / back though it can be always on, my little cheapo car dont so i had to get one of those 3 port sockets, and then extend its wire so i could put it in the back of my car ( +12 V wired into a fuse + grabbing GND from one of the bolts holding the rear seat )

Welcome to DCT @efaust70 :)

You can "mock up" the plan using a measured string taped where you plan to run the cable. If it comes up short, it's best to use a ciggie plug extender instead of extending the USB side, as there's less voltage drop at 12V versus 5V, and a lot of USB extensions may not handle the current well.

Having said this, I have ran a cam with a 3m USB extension successfully myself using a top-grade cable but it's not "best practice" and can lead to cam malfunctions. If you must extend the USB use the shortest one possible and get at least a 24ga wire size. Also be such it's an all-copper cable, not "CCA"(copper-clad aluminum) as those degrade over time. "Monoprice" had good USB cables at good prices.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I've got a BlackVue 590x camera right now that I'm sending back (terrible video quality and interface). The cable for the rear cam is 20 feet. I'm guessing I wont need all of that so I'll try testing with string to see just how long I need one to be. I do have a power outlet in the back of the car, but I can't see how I would run a power cable to it without it looking terrible. I want to hide it away as much as possible.

If your wire fall short, extend the 12 V side of things, extending the 5V USB cables can lead to havoc in the form of transmission loss, that cost me a recording on my rear camera of me getting rear ended 5 years ago.

Some cars actually have a 12 V socket in the boot / back though it can be always on, my little cheapo car dont so i had to get one of those 3 port sockets, and then extend its wire so i could put it in the back of my car ( +12 V wired into a fuse + grabbing GND from one of the bolts holding the rear seat )
Kamkar,
I do have a 12 v socket in the back (or boot as you say). I could run it there but I'm not seeing how I would hide the cable. Perhaps I should start pulling apart the trim in the back to see if I can snake it inside.

Yes you will probably have to "tear" some things apart to route cable in a proper / discreet way.

I have had cameras on my rear hatch for many years but only lately with the Viofo A139 and the thin coaxial cables it use have i routed the cable thru the rubber hose between the car and rear hatch where the wire for the #3 brake light and rear window wiper also run.
Otherwise i have just guided wires off to the side, and then had a loop of wire dangling there when the rear hatch is closed, as a tester that frequently change systems going all the way is not a option.
But most wires are out of the way and its not like i have birds nests of wires all over my car.
Most cameras also come with a few stick on holders for wire, these is what i have used on my raw rear hatch ( too cheap a car to have plastic trim on it so much steel to be seen ) to guide the wires off to the side.

Doing a dry run along the general path of the wire, using a piece of clothing line / para cord or maybe a bit of other wire, is a good idea to see if things will be able to fit. ( you can then measure the string / wire afterwards to see how much length is needed for that particular route )
Not something i have done as my 5 door hatchback ( not hot hatch at all ) car are almost micro, so no problem with reach here.

Curtain airbags are often what give people a hard time, but they are fine but you do need to get above and or behind them as they generally deploy downwards, some have also routed cables further out under the door weather seal, that should also be out of the way of a airbag going off.

The trim on my A pillars are barely able to stay on, i have had it off and on so many times since 2012 installing new dashcams, i will go to a salvage yard and get new ones next summer.

All the way out back if, you can use the plug in the back, you should be able to dun cable up the back pillar, or maybe rear hatch / door weather seal to the sealing.
My little car have a rear wiper, which is nice as the flat rear do pick up a lot of dirt and rain, sedans and the likes with no wiper i would treat glass with rain x or other stuff that will let water run off more easy.
I have also done this with the glass in front of my side cameras ( small fixed glass on my rear doors )

Thanks for the assistance kamcar. I've got a 57 installed up front and wired. I've installed my Mini2 in the back and was getting ready to start pulling apart panels to route the power cable to the rear 12v outlet. I was poking around the Garmin site and came across the following: Garmin Extra Long Power Cable (part # 010-1253-07) that's 26' long. That should be plenty to route from the rear cam to the 12v in the front of the car. I did check and the min2 is on the list of compatible devices. The only downside is that it wont ship for a couple of weeks. Such is life right now.

Thanks all for these comments, especially on extending cables --- 12V vs 5V USB.

I've got a vehicle I'm looking into doing a rear backup camera using a Mini 2, and this vehicle only has USB aux power, none of the 12V cigarette lighter power outlets.

Back