Mini 2 mounting

darling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An issue I didn’t expect to have was where on windscreen to fix the camera. On my Toyota (like a lot of cars these days) the area behind the rear view mirror is jammed full of stuff. This meant that it was visible in the camera’s field of view. I had to mount the Mini 2 lower down the windscreen to mitigate the problem. I guess dash cams that fix closer to the glass would have less of a problem.

If there is bits of the inside of your car showing in the camera. The things in the top corners are not where the car's are driving unless they are flying.

Most dashcams either fit very well or very badly; not a lot of middle ground anymore :( Newer cars have lots of things around the mirror, so form-factor and mounting schemes matter more than ever before. The Mini2 is a tiny cam with a somewhat restricted mounting scheme that can work well for most folks- just not everybody.

In playing around with mine I've discovered that the ball-and-socket on the Mini2 and the 57 are the same diameter. This could allow for the Mini2 to be mounted underneath or beside something, but the movement limit is 90 degrees to a line straight from the lens, so with many sensor pods it would be aimed too low. I presume the 57 mount can be ordered but you may have to do it by special request. Still, it expands the options which is a good thing :) The reverse swap might work for some 57 owners wanting a shorter overhead mount and that would be great under a sensor pod :cool:

Phil

Back