Mini 805 won't auto start, shuts off immediately after car off

pcons

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

Just received a new mini 805, and something isn't right (I think)....the unit operates as if there is no battery in it at all...here are the issues I'm having.

1. When I shut the car off, the unit immediately turns off and the last file being recorded is corrupted.

2. When I turn the car on, the unit won't auto start and I have to manually power it on.

I have it wired through a switched 12V-5V USB adaptor that I used with the mobius cam I upgraded from (805 has much better video quality IMO, mobius is going in my wife's car).

Also, the cam won't power on at all unless it's connected to power. I know it sounds dumb, but it almost seems as if there is no battery at all in the unit.

Anyone heard of something like this before? I must be missing something, but I've had dash cams before and never had this issue.

Forgot to include the firmware version is 20150821 v1.0 if that helps.

Also, the battery Indicator on the screen shows the battery is full, but like I said the cam won't power on at all unless plugged in.

does this behavior occur when using the included cig power cable? not all USB cables and adapters are created equal.

I tried tonight with the lighter adaptor that came with the unit and no joy.

I also left the unit plugged in all day to my phone charger, which powers the cam no problem, but only manually powering just like in my car. All day the light on the cam was red, left it plugged in for at least 6 hours. The cam still won't power on without being plugged in.

Strange because the battery icon says its full...not sure what to do now. Don't want to deal with the hassle of returning to gearbest but I guess I don't have much choice.

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

I found the issue. Opened up the camera and found one of the wires to the battery was broken at the solder joint to the PCB. Re soldered it and now the cam turns on when first plugged in (didn't need to hit the power button on the camera).

Also, after charging for 30 min I unplugged the camera and the camera now runs from the battery. Nice.

Going to test it out in the car tomorrow, but I'm sure that was the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

Back