Mini 806 Capacitor Model?

airgreek

Reaction score
Will thee be a capacitor model released of the 805 and/or 806?

Within present shell size / shape vs PCB layout it is nearly impossible to fit commonly used supercaps there. If there will be a 0805 / 0806 with suercaps, - it will be a bigger size.

Will thee be a capacitor model released of the 805 and/or 806?
How would you use the setup menu while holding it in your hands? You'd have to operate it while mounted behind the mirror - very inconvenient!

So far I've seen no indication that a capacitor version is required, the battery is maintaining it's capacity very well, of course summer is yet to come...

When the parking guard mount arrives the camera will be able to use the car battery as it will have a permanent connection, so if you wanted you could then remove the internal battery and solve the problem completely - no need for battery or supercapacitor, but you will then have to leave it on it's base.

If you are worried about heat then get the 0806, the ventilation is far superior!

plug it into power I guess
This. I never mess with any of my cameras settings unplugged. I have a wall outlet to USB so I don't have to try and speed through the menus.

it wouldn't fit is the first issue so you'd be talking about another design, the manufacturer has no experience with capacitor based dashcams also so a bit of a learning curve still also

here is my unique mini 0806 on the world, for now.
I'm sure your supercapacitor was dark blue last time we saw it on your desk, being used as the heatsink has faded the colour! :D

Here we go - Rayman can you not extend the length of the case say 1cm and fit it in there?

Here we go - Rayman can you not extend the length of the case say 1cm and fit it in there?

that is my personal widget, everyting same with current 0806, only changed Li Battery to a Super Cap. Just show you the practicability of a Super Cam version.

I think it would be a great idea as getting rid of the battery takes away an issue for users in hot climates :)

So are you saying a future version will have the capacitor? Maybe I should have waited before I ordered the 0806.

maybe yes, maybe not. just distrinbutor's OEM option.
And there maybe mini 0806 - WiFi, also for your choice.

If you are pleasurable with your mini 0806, that is great enough.
can you wait wait and wait for iphone 99 ? which must be absolutely much much better.

I think it would be a great idea as getting rid of the battery takes away an issue for users in hot climates :)

but will lost the absolutely setting method - with the camera in hands.
left or right, dialectic.

I'd personally go with the capacitor option every time - I never run cameras on battery anyway as I'll just plug in the power cable directly to the camera and use that to make changes - at the end of the day you will only spend the first day or two changing settings to get something to your liking but then it will sit on the windscreen without being touched for months - maybe years.

If it's an action camera then yes it needs a battery - if it's a dashboard camera sitting in the sun it should have a capacitor in my opinion.

A similar saying in English is that it is "swings or roundabouts" in that you fix one thing but break another.

The fact that the high end dash cameras all use capacitors is usually a good sign :)

Wifi sounds good though.

The fact that the high end dash cameras all use capacitors is usually a good sign :)
That is because they can justify charging more money because they are obviously superior.

But the evidence to support a super capacitor being superior is a bit hard to find! It is true that some cameras eat batteries in hot weather, but would they also eat super capacitors? With a good design of charging circuit that doesn't try to fill the battery to overflowing and takes into account that the battery overflows sooner at high temperatures a lipo battery can last many years.

Remind me why did you swap the battery in your Mini 0803 again?

There are plenty of examples of people replacing batteries, but none for replacing capacitors that I've read yet.

I've seen issues caused by the camera not charging enough, the corrupting the last file and not starting properly - always when the car is being valet parked for example.

In the UK it's not so much of a problem, but for example look at the Australian guys that are locked into capacitor based dashcams because of the crazy heat they get - just a simple swap to a capacitor opens up sale opportunities to many new places that they've not been able to support before.

Last edited:
that is my personal widget, everyting same with current 0806, only changed Li Battery to a Super Cap. Just show you the practicability of a Super Cam version.
Does it actually work?

Some people may DIY that modification, but I suspect the super cap is not big enough without some big firmware changes...

When buyers are looking for options, sellers need to offer those options.
That's how it works.

Remind me why did you swapped the battery in your Mini 0803 again?
The 0803 is well known for killing batteries due to heat problems, it would kill a supercapacitor too - the text on Raymans supercap says 70C, the lipo in my 0803 says 71C !
I've seen issues caused by the camera not charging enough, the corrupting the last file and not starting properly - always when the car is being valet parked for example.
If you ever do any valet parking, the trick is to pop the sd card out for a second before switching off and while it is still recording, guaranteed to corrupt the last file and then there can be no criticism of your driving standards as there is no evidence!

Back