Mini 906 shuting down @ 73celcius

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
The first day we got some nice sunny day, here in Arlington after I got the cam. The temperature outside is 65F/15C, not special warm for season.
I took a rider and my camera is mounted so high, that it doesn't get any direct sun. After a half hour drive the temperature in the display showed 73c and the camera started to shut down.

At the summer we will get outside temperature here from 35c to 42c on hot days, so I not even sure the camera will start at that time in a parked car.

Mine is running very hot also. After 15min drive (front+rear cams) the display was showing 82C. This is when it is very mild outside (~20C)

My problem is that the camera shutting down at 73C, not when the temperature got 90C as written in the manual.
On a warm day here, I don't think that the camera will start at all.

Mine is also shutting down due to high temperatures (osd says 76°)
This definitely needs to be fixed. It has just about 16° today (but the car and cam got direct sunlight during the test)

So its not by code, but a trigger on one of the port to shut down, since its does it a 2 different temperature 73c/76c.
This is from today and it repeatedly shutdown, because of "heat-stroke".

Here is my dummy log and the other log. If any can get anything out of it.

Attachments

• 0011_dummy.txt
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20170510_123553.txt
    1 MB · Views: 3
Won't last a day here.

Last edited:
So its not by code, but a trigger on one of the port to shut down, since its does it a 2 different temperature 73c/76c.
This is from today and it repeatedly shutdown, because of "heat-stroke".

Here is my dummy log and the other log. If any can get anything out of it.
Maybe there are different sensors. I guess the novatek SoC contains at least one temperature sensor for "internal" purposes. I'm not sure if they added/using another sensor for OSD temp.

Maybe there are different sensors
It could be.
Maybe I'm the stick in the wheel and you what there do to the stick. Break it and through it away.;)

I'm a fish out of water with this stuff, but I do know that with some chips which have built-in thermal sensors, these can be hard to regulate well. With one coded setting, one chip may cut off at the proper high-temp point while another may go well above or below that. Thus, most designers will set the cut-off temp low enough to not chance harming the chip and causing a warranty problem. Discrete thermal sensors seem to be more accurate but those add to design complexity and cost. If a person knows the programming code being used and has access to the correct chip programming interface, the heat setting could be altered in any given cam, but that is well beyond what almost everybody is capable of doing ;)

I think the best solution would be for the manufacturer to reset the cut-off temp a bit higher at the factory and see if that involves excessive failures. If it did, they could always go back to the current setting. While you don't want excessive failures associated with your product and your name, it also does no good if your product does not function at all times :( Some cams work well in high heats so IMHO this one should be able to do this as well. As I see things, if somebody else can do something then I can too- all it takes is effort :cool:

Phil

When I was looking inside 0906, I noticed that when assembled, there is at least 5mm space between the top of the chip and capacitors. That should be enough for a heat sink right?

When I was looking inside 0906, I noticed that when assembled, there is at least 5mm space between the top of the chip and capacitors. That should be enough for a heat sink right?

The heat sink would need some room to ventilate so I'm not sure 5mm would be a lot of space between components.

I think the best solution would be for the manufacturer to reset the cut-off temp a bit higher at the factory and see if that involves excessive failures. If it did, they could always go back to the current setting. While you don't want excessive failures associated with your product and your name, it also does no good if your product does not function at all times :( Some cams work well in high heats so IMHO this one should be able to do this as well. As I see things, if somebody else can do something then I can too- all it takes is effort :cool:

Phil

the normal approach with thermal control would be to introduce CPU throttling once a certain temp is reached, that would mean having to reduce the bitrate or framerate rather than shutting down, not ideal perhaps but maybe the lesser of two evils as although everyone wants the highest quality at all times it's still going to be better than a camera that is turned off

Mine is running very hot also. After 15min drive (front+rear cams) the display was showing 82C. This is when it is very mild outside (~20C)
Mine is switching off above 73 C also. Outside temperature was 22,5 C

The problem is that you live in the wrong country, live in the cold wet uk and your cam would need a jumper ha ha

I have tried to get a heat related shutdown, but the weather was against me only letting me get to 71 deg which the camera handled just fine.

Will be some days before i get a chance to better this temperature.

I have tried to get a heat related shutdown, but the weather was against me only letting me get to 71 deg which the camera handled just fine.

I got it reading 85C in full sun inside the greenhouse yesterday, and then put it in the freezer at -19 and got it reading -12.

Seems to read 5C too high every time I turn it on when it hasn't been used for a long time.

Goes properly out of focus above 60C, seems OK down to 0C so I reckon if it was focused at a higher temperature it should be OK, but I will wait and see if a new lens turns up before refocusing it.

You either get you hairdryer in the car or get a sexy hot mama with you.
That should be good enough to raise the temperature.

Time to start introducing small fans like those in computers with speed adjustment.
Someone in another post/thread mentioned a Camera outside that was in extreme heat all day ... only in this instance ... it is in a confined space with no air flow.

Is direct sun too harsh for these Cameras ... and are we expecting too much of them to cope with these extremes?

I am using the joovuux and I've measured the temperature at 86 Celsius without any ill effects. It was over 115 degrees Fahrenheit in Palm Springs. Meh[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aha maybe we are the first team which considered the temperature operation / protection?
the departure point is the Parking Guard function in mini 0906, the users may use that funciton to monitoring under direct sunshine.
we did a lot of test and modification and finally designed this temperature protection function.
we must be 2 years ahead of this industry.

Back