Mini camera with good parking mode and motion detection?

Capi

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi experts,

Anyone know any good camera, small and good parking mode/motion detection?

My idea is put this mode while the car is in the parking.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Not sure if this would work for you (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KO6LA8Q) but it's a good mini camera with decent 720p HD video (rotatable wide angle lens) and a long battery life. Recording can be triggered in multiple ways (vibration, motion, sound or schedule).

We have a sale going on the unit bundled with a 64gb microSD card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KTL5UTQ)

Not sure if this would work for you (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KO6LA8Q) but it's a good mini camera with decent 720p HD video (rotatable wide angle lens) and a long battery life. Recording can be triggered in multiple ways (vibration, motion, sound or schedule).

We have a sale going on the unit bundled with a 64gb microSD card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KTL5UTQ)

Hi,

But, these camera is not for record while driving such as other that are stuck on the glass. no? Only while the car is in the parking.

Regards,

Yes, it's not a dash camera though it could function as one (though there are much better options). I thought you had meant you wanted a camera solely for parking mode.

Hi experts,

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

I often run a Mobius in parking mode using an external USB battery. I record full time video rather than time-lapse but one could do either. With a decent USB battery such as this example you can run a dash cam for many, many hours before having to recharge. You could even run two cameras simultaneously with this type of external battery. (I do this with my front and rear cams when I park somewhere and then recharge the battery when I'm home.)

Edit: If you need to run parking mode for longer periods of time or just don't wish to bother with a portable battery consider hardwiring with a unit such as THIS which will prevent excessive car battery drain. There are other similar options available. This will allow you to use any dash cam of your choice.

Hi experts,

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
whats your budget?

Yes, it's not a dash camera though it could function as one (though there are much better options). I thought you had meant you wanted a camera solely for parking mode.

I often run a Mobius in parking mode using an external USB battery. I record full time video rather than time-lapse but one could do either. With a decent USB battery such as this example you can run a dash cam for many, many hours before having to recharge. You could even run two cameras simultaneously with this type of external battery. (I do this with my front and rear cams when I park somewhere and then recharge the battery when I'm home.)

whats your budget?

My idea is a dash camera with good function in motion detection/parking mode with external battery for run 5 days more or less.

My budget around 150usd more or less.

Regards,

Add 50usd and buy Panorama S.

Add 50usd and buy Panorama S.

Niko makes a good point with the Panorama. You'd get a class "A" camera and the extra cost of the camera would avoid needing to buy the kind of battery adapter or external portable battery I recommended, so it's a "wash".

It seems Panorama S is big...

And I want with GPS built-in

Last edited:
It seems Panorama S is big...

And I want with GPS built-in

Panorama can be fit right behind your mirror in most cars. Niko was able to get it pretty tight & out of site. I understand if it might be too much trouble to run the GPS cable though. There is a version of the Panorama with built in GPS but we don't stock it yet. The trade off for built in GPS is it's less accurate, and signal is prone to interference from the camera electronics itself.
a2-jpg.5004

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have the same question but I wanted a bit more clarification.

1. I see the Panorama II is recommended. This has motion detect and g-sensor, but don't most low-end cameras also have these features for cheaper? For instance, the G1W's features are mentioned here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-g1w.2901/#post-32104

Are these parking mode features? What makes the Panorama more appropriate for parking?

2. My car was recently damaged during the night while I was parked in the street. There's a LOT of activity in the street, so I'm wondering whether motion detection will even work properly or whether I will always be draining my car battery out. Are there any good solutions for surveilling a car on a busy street?

the cheap cams only use motion from the CMOS sensor to trigger the recording, they have G-Sensor but not used for this function

as well as working correctly the Panorama pre buffers and will give you 5 seconds of video prior to the triggered event, the cheaper cameras don't do this at all, the power consumption of the Panorama is also about the lowest around

That sounds great, jokiin, thank you!

Is there any information on how long it takes for the Panorama to kill a car battery? Some reviews have said that cars can run in parking mode for days before the battery dies.

That sounds great, jokiin, thank you!

Is there any information on how long it takes for the Panorama to kill a car battery? Some reviews have said that cars can run in parking mode for days before the battery dies.

the power consumption is very minimal, if you drive your car daily you have nothing to worry about, if you like to leave it in an airport parking lot for a week at a time you might want to look at the battery disharge prevention device, details of that can be found here http://www.roadcam.com/

The Lukas LK-7900 ACE will give you what you need. It has a parking mode to record about 5 seconds before the initial motion and movement afterwards all while your car is turned off. With parking mode for all dash cams, you need to hardwire the dash cam into the car using something like the LK-350 Hardwiring Kit.

Also, make sure you get a dash cam with a capacitor and not an internal battery. These dash cams generally are more expensive, but will last much longer. Batteries don't do too well in hot cars.

Kelvin

The Lukas LK-7900 ACE will give you what you need. It has a parking mode to record about 5 seconds before the initial motion and movement afterwards all while your car is turned off. With parking mode for all dash cams, you need to hardwire the dash cam into the car using something like the LK-350 Hardwiring Kit (http://www.blackboxed.ca/collections/hardwire-accessories/products/lk-350).

Also, make sure you get a dash cam with a capacitor and not an internal battery. These dash cams generally are more expensive, but will last much longer. Batteries don't do too well in hot cars.

Kelvin

Thanks, but the Lukas models are very very big...

Regards,

Back