Mini magnetic mount / bracket for Panorama II. Can be used on other dashcams as well.

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
NB!
ANY DIY MAY VOID WARRANTY OF THE PRODUCT !
ACT ON YOUR OWN RISK !!!
....................................................................................

Previous project that lead me to this one:

Project 1
Project 2
Project 3
Project 4

With every next step I was trying to build more smaller and reliable mount solution.

As you may see from my previous project, I was using Panorama 2 original mount, which "shrinks" with my every next project. This time I wanted to remove Panorama II mount base, which is attached to the dashcamera body, to get more smaller overall design.
Also criteria was to be able to mount dashcamera behind rearview mirror from drivers side for more close and convenient operation of the buttons and / or LCD screen, which is practically impossible with stock mounts ( even with my previous DIY brackets project this is impossible ), especially for cars where rearview mirror is too close to windshield, like in my car.

This one here is not the most perfect solution, but at least I was able to achieve some goals I set and it gave me ideas to move further ( already have few new ideas, just follow my DIY posts soon ).

Here is demo video how it works installed in my car

Below is demo video recorded inside moving car showing that Panorama II mounted behind rearview mirror on drivers side ( almost completely hidden behind rearview mirror if looking directly from inside or outside), but still I can see blue blinking LED showing me the status of recording.

This type of installation ( being installed on the drivers side of the rearview mirror ) allows me also quickly and conveniently to operate some important buttons, like Emergency Recording, Microphone ON / OFF , etc. If dashcam mounted behind rearview mirror from other side from drivers position, - operation of those quick-buttons are almost impossible ( in my car ) where Panorama II is almost close to rearview mirror and it is no way I can reach those buttons ( not enough space for fingers to reach them ). Just want to remind, - this is all because rearview mirror in my car is mounted too high and too close to windshield. I have seen many other cars where rearview mirror mount solution is more practical than in my car, having more space behind rearview mirror and windshiled to be able to operate dashcameras no matter on which side of rearview mirror they are mounted. So it's all about individual car.

For this project I was using simple materials that could be found in any household. Most important "accessory" for this project is / are : NEODYMIUM magnets. I bought bunch of them from internet, so I can experiment with them on other dashcameras as well.

First solution is to glue magnets to the dashcamera body inside "pocket" where original mount sits.

a1.jpg

I tried using double-sided tape to attach magnets to the dashcamera body, but after some tests I realised - this is not a good idea, because double-sided tape being "foamy"-type was giving movement / vibrations when magnets were attached to the steal / metal part of mount. So if you go with idea of mounting magnets to camera body - use super glue !

a2.jpg

I decided to cut metal plate and using screws from original bracket to attach it to dashcamera body.

a3.jpg

Now you have two choices:
1. to glue magnets to the dashcamera mounted metal plate
2. to glue magnets to metal bracket, which will be fixed to windshield with double sided tape.

So it's up to you which way is more convenient for you.

At the beginning I was experimenting with magnets being glued to the dashcamera body metal plate, but I realised that it "ruins" look of dashcamera ( maybe I am being too fussy ? )

Initially I was using two magnets, but after some tests I added third one as well.

a4.jpg

... so I glued magnets to the metal mount.

a5.jpg

Also I have glued small 90 degree plastic to the metal mount, which helps me to "navigate" dashcamera to the correct spot when I am attaching it to the mount. Also this plastic part helps to keep dashcamera in one place facing into the correct front facing direction.

a6.jpg

Some samples installed in the car where I was doing side by side test with other dashcameras.

a7.jpg

I have tested this mount solution for nearly 1 month and overall I am happy, but not 100%.
Few adjustments need to be made because I still was experiencing some vibrations when playback videos.

1. Instead of 3 magnets I was using on the first place, later I have added 2 more, so total I had 5 magnets. Best if you buy 1 full size neodymium magnet that can fit into dashcamera original mount "pocket". THey are widely available in different size on the internet, so if you search a little bit, you find right one.

2. I made windshield mount from thin ( 0.5-0.7mm ) steel plate, but after tests I recommend to use thicker steel for windshield mount, at least 1-1.5mm, to eliminate completely vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I do my best ;)
Thankyou from Sydney....just beginning with dashcams & Mobius etc ....so all this research /experimenting is of great value .

This is fantastic work. Will definitely attempt this myself.

My Mount for my mobius in the back failed, have new design planned witch allso make use of a super magnet.

I have made recently updated version from this project. Didnt get chance to post it yet. Will share soon.

Try an earth magnet and attach one to the outside of the window and one inside then have fun trying to take your dash camera off. LOL

Try an earth magnet and attach one to the outside of the window and one inside then have fun trying to take your dash camera off. LOL
1. Can take off easily, all depends on how strong magnet to use :p

2. Why should I attach magnet outside windshield, whats the point ?

I meant the ones that stick so hard you cant hammer them off a matching magnet... LOL you know the strongest magnets in the world.

Back