Mini0806: Another desgin flaw (potential crashing issues explained)

SergeiF

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
So,
The dead mini0806 (that stopped working after being dropped about 1m inside of the car) got a post-mortem...
Here are the pictures.
IMG_20160703_110658.jpg

IMG_20160703_110803.jpg

IMG_20160703_111758.jpg

IMG_20160703_113213.jpg

The last picture is interesting one....
Notice that there are pads missing I guarantee you that it wasn't my de-soldering (heat gun) or heat sink removal (other side would have pads missing otherwise).

My theory is following: because heat sink is glued between two different height, and BGA sized chips, with different operating temperatures, the temperature stresses would pull the BGA pad, hence the result. Initially it would probably make unreliable connection, while small drop would cause it come off completely.

This would also explain why 0805 is way more stable than 0806 (since 0805 does not have heat sink).

This also shows that when 0806 was designed, heat sink was last minute addition. If you look at IP cameras with a heat sink, there is never a heat sink on RAM, just on SOC.

I still have one mini0806 on my hands, it is a stable one, except battery is dead after just under one year of operation. Once I replace the battery I will split the heat sink in half on it to prevent the BGA failure.

This camera is great example of good idea and bad implementation. It also shows that Megtech does not have good engineering resource, and that there is disconnect between PCB designers, chassis designers and engineers, and absolutely zero testing.

I paid for this particular camera $120 USD, and for that money I spent $1000 USD equivalent of my time trying to solve these issues. Correction: I paid $120 for a camera that was crashing, I returned it to Megtech, which "promptly" sent me another camera with exactly same issue. It was obvious that they never tested the return.

Interesting theory. Can the heat sink be removed, cut down, and reinstalled on just the SOC without soldering? I've had a few crashing issues, but they all went away when I switched to 32GB Lexar cards (was using 64Gb Sandisk).

FWIW, here's a thermal image of my forward-facing 0806. At this point, it had been running for over an hour, with the air conditioning running. All of my cameras reported between 116 and 122°F

Attachments

• flir_20160624T105519.jpg
    flir_20160624T105519.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 27
Interesting theory. Can the heat sink be removed, cut down, and reinstalled on just the SOC without soldering? I've had a few crashing issues, but they all went away when I switched to 32GB Lexar cards (was using 64Gb Sandisk).

FWIW, here's a thermal image of my forward-facing 0806. At this point, it had been running for over an hour, with the air conditioning running. All of my cameras reported between 116 and 122°F

Your crashing was the case Sandisk flash, I haven't had luck with any type of Sandisk flash at all (be that CF for DSLR, or micro SD for dashcam). I purposely avoid Sandisk.
Simplest way is to split heat sink with a dremel cut off wheel.

De-soldering chips is out of the question, as you will have to re-ball them. Without template is it really time consuming, and most of the time not possible to do at home (you will need to source BGA solder balls ). If you value your time and sanity it is not worth it (just buy another camera, preferably not mini ;)).

The heat sink is glued on really good. So removing that is a mission.

Well, I'm hopeful that the new cards will do the trick. So far, 4 weeks of run time, no crashes or errors. I really think I handicapped myself early on with those SanDisks. Never again.

Nice very interesting article, but please don't assume us lesser mortals know what all the mnemonics mean i.e SOC, BGA, CF, DSLR, and FWIW.

Nice very interesting article, but please don't assume us lesser mortals know what all the mnemonics mean i.e SOC, BGA, CF, DSLR, and FWIW.

SOC - System On Chip (processor)
BGA - Ball Grid Array (processor mount type)
CF - Compact Flash (type of memory card)
DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex (fancy camera)
FWIW - For What it's Worth (opinion or extra bit of info)

After changing out all of my 64gb sandisks to the 32gb lexars, I decided to quickly skim through the content of the sandisks (before formatting them for use in other devices). In doing so, I found one of the 0806 cameras had gone horribly out of focus. Since I had to disassemble the camera to be able to turn the lens, I took a good look at the heat sink issue you described.

Sure enough, the long aluminum heat sink is covering both chips. I tugged on it lightly with my fingernail, and to my surprise, it popped of without any real resistance. The SOC had plenty of thermal paste/adhesive coverage, while the BGA had just a tiny drop. Since the paste is actually an adhesive that had hardened, it won't stay put. So, I've ordered replacement paste/adhesive and set the camera aside until it arrives. A bit of a bummer, but it's good to know the heat sink comes off without a fight. I may cut the sink and apply the two parts separately since it's already open.

So it seems there is difference between how these things are glued on. On the one in the picture in first post the heat sink was glued very well. Perhaps the ones that don't crash have poorly glued heat sink?

I suggest if you glue the heat sink back, use heat sink glue on SoC (Ambarella chip, square) while on RAM (Samsung chip, rectangle) use heat sink paste (not glue), regular CPU paste will do.

It's quite possible. I have zero paste now. I've only got the adhesive paste on order. I may just put a smaller dab on the ram.

Back