Minor case mod

I like that! I did a similar mod one time using a Dremel tool with a sanding disk but what I did was more along the idea of the memory slot on the camera below that just has an indent that allows for a finger press. Too many manufacturers can't seem to be bothered with subtle but essential design tweaks to improve functionality and go instead with the least expensive mold tooling they can get away with. I'm always pleased when I see a new dash cam that gives some thought to this.

card_slot.jpg

Yes, my Street Guardian SGGCX2 has that "finger" groove and it works well.

For the Mobius case, all I had were square end mills. Using a ball end mill would have made a nicer depression.
Oh well, this still works. I think I'll go machine all my other cases since it's so easy and fast to do.

My Street Guardian SG9665GC has no such indent and I find it very frustrating. I've taken to keeping a bent paper clip in my vehicle for when I need to access the memory card. When winter is finally over I may have to do a little Dremel work on my GC. The SG9665GC uses a "public" casing which is the same as the A118/B40, etc., and this is one of the drawbacks to that approach but I think the newer V3 SG9665GC may have finally addressed this issue.

The SG9665GC uses a "public" casing which is the same as the A118/B40, etc., and this is one of the drawbacks to that approach but I think the newer V3 SG9665GC may have finally addressed this issue.

the V3 still had the same case, the SGGCX2 is our own housing and has this extra relief for the card

the V3 still had the same case, the SGGCX2 is our own housing and has this extra relief for the card

Jokiin, as a result of your post above I decided to take a look at your web site just now and you show the V3 case as having an indent on the memory slot. Why is that?

SG.png

Jokiin, as a result of your post above I decided to take a look at your web site just now and you show the V3 case as having an indent on the memory slot. Why is that?

View attachment 36876

it does have that, always has had, the SGGCX2 has a much larger recess around the card

it does have that, always has had, the SGGCX2 has a much larger recess around the card

I'm a bit confused by your earlier post above where your said, "the V3 still had the same case, the SGGCX2 is our own housing and has this extra relief for the card". That sure sounds like the V3 doesn't have the indent.
I'm not sure about the miscommunication but I'm glad to see that it does have at least a smaller one. So my comment that the V3 may have addressed the issue was apparently indeed correct, I guess. Anyway, I always appreciate that you keep moving the bar upwards.

I'm a bit confused by your earlier post above where your said, "the V3 still had the same case, the SGGCX2 is our own housing and has this extra relief for the card". That sure sounds like the V3 doesn't have the indent.
I'm not sure about the miscommunication but I'm glad to see that it does have at least a smaller one. So my comment that the V3 may have addressed the issue was apparently indeed correct, I guess. Anyway, I always appreciate that you keep moving the bar upwards.

we didn't address anything in the V3, the indent it as is the same as V2 and V1, even the SG9665GM from 2013 had the same indent so I can't take credit for any changes

the new model though is definitely changed

we didn't address anything in the V3, the indent it as is the same as V2 and V1, even the SG9665GM from 2013 had the same indent so I can't take credit for any changes

the new model though is definitely changed

You're right, it's been there all along, so my apologies. The little indent on one side of the slot is so useless I just never noticed it, especially from the perspective from the driver's seat. Again, happy to see the new design.

Last edited:
Your right, it's been there all along, so my apologies. The little indent on one side of the slot is so useless I just never noticed it, especially from the perspective from the driver's seat. Again, happy to see the new design.

yeah I was a bit confused so I'm glad you've had a second look, it's there but not enough to be that useful, there's a limit to what is possible, not easy to come up with an ideal solution when using MicroSD and the space needed for PCB, case thickness etc

No prob for me, jus use fingernails to push the card in... Can't be that hard unless the fingers are very thick.

Back