Minor Hit & Run - Recorded on 7 cameras

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Today I was unfortunate enough to be hit by an oncoming car that drifted onto my side of the road. Thankfully only the car suffered damage - offside wing mirror knocked off and some bodywork scuffs. I'm fine :)

The other driver initially stopped, then drove away.

She will be sorry that I recorded the incident on SEVEN cameras ! ;)

Actually, as dashcam-testing goes, this was a pretty tough test. Only my 4K cameras (GitUp F1 and Xiaomi Mijia Mini) were able to make out the number plate from a distance. The 1080p and 1440p cameras failed to record a readable plate. Unfortunately I had taken the Mobius 2 out of the car this morning - it's actually my best camera for capturing number plates.

I deliberately chose this frame with a non-readable plate since it's a police/insurance matter.
2017_1204.jpg
IMG_20171204_135718427s.jpg

Glad you're safe. :)

Looking forward to the capacitor based F1. One wide-angle, one 8 or 12mm and one 4K should be enough, right? :D

Last edited:
Was that a closing speed of 102 mph? Nasty :(

Far too fast for a 1080 camera at this time of year, even if there is some sun!

Can't really see from the image, was there any reason for being on the wrong side, or was she on the phone? I can't even see a centre line...

Glad you're safe. :)

Looking forward to the capacitor based F1. One wide-angle, one 8 or 12mm and one 4K should be enough, right? :D
No, not enough!

I had everything set to 30fps today for comparative testing. Could have done with 60fps to get sharper details.

I would also have liked a side-facing camera recording my wing mirror being ripped off. My rear-facing camera showed the other car's mirror hanging off, and mine flying through the air.

Can't really see from the image, was there any reason for being on the wrong side, or was she on the phone? I can't even see a centre line...
No centre-line. She drifted into the middle of the road going around a bend.

I think a narrow angle capacitor F1 4K would go well with a wide angle Starvis 1080.

Gives you a view like this, but in 4K instead of 1080:

Yes, it could have been much worse had she drifted further across the road. Thankfully only minor damage, but those heated motorised wing mirrors are not cheap. Certainly more than the cost of a dashcam.

Yes, I'm starting to see the real benefit of a 4K dashcam. Having said that, I'm sure my Mobius 2 at 1080p60 would have done a good job at capturing the number plate.

No, not enough!

I had everything set to 30fps today for comparative testing. Could have done with 60fps to get sharper details.

I would also have liked a side-facing camera recording my wing mirror being ripped off. My rear-facing camera showed the other car's mirror hanging off, and mine flying through the air.

I mean specifically for number plate capture. 60fps definitely could've helped the situation.

Side mounting without a fixed glass pane on the A or C-pillar is a nightmare if stealth is a factor, the rear camera from-factor from the current dual channel models looks appealing to me.

I think a narrow angle capacitor F1 4K would go well with a wide angle Starvis 1080.

Gives you a view like this, but in 4K instead of 1080:

Sort of what I have in mind, 322- front, 291- rear.

I'm glad you're unschathed, could have been much worse at that speed. After the investigation, be sure to upload the several viewpoints of the cams :D

I hope the insurance company use some common sense and take into account the fact that she fled (which I personally interpret as admitting fault). On a road with no centre line the insurance company of the offending vehicle is likely to fight against accepting blame

Yes, I'm starting to see the real benefit of a 4K dashcam. Having said that, I'm sure my Mobius 2 at 1080p60 would have done a good job at capturing the number plate.
For those that haven't worked it out, what matters in poor light is the distance at which you can resolve a number plate, the further away the less motion blur. You can increase the distance by using a narrow field of view, but whatever field of view you have 4K gives double the distance of 1080.

Far more effective than using 60fps instead of 30fps, which generally makes almost no difference.

Wonder if she slid on some ice that hadn't melted in the shadow of the trees, appears to be exactly in the middle of the road and her hand is in an odd place unless the steering is turned too sharply for the corner.

Wonder if she slid on some ice that hadn't melted in the shadow of the trees, appears to be exactly in the middle of the road and her hand is in an odd place unless the steering is turned too sharply for the corner.
No ice at all. She was following another car along the road but ran wide in the turn. Her hand is there as she's trying to turn left quickly at the last moment. It's not even much of a bend, so maybe she just want paying enough attention to the road.

I googled her car number, found out her car failed its mot the last three years for improper brake balance, different size tyres on the same axle (!), bulging tyres, corroded brake pipes. Hardly sounds like it's kept in good roadworthy condition.

No ice at all. She was following another car along the road but ran wide in the turn. Her hand is there as she's trying to turn left quickly at the last moment. It's not even much of a bend, so maybe she just want paying enough attention to the road.

I googled her car number, found out her car failed its mot the last three years for improper brake balance, different size tyres on the same axle (!), bulging tyres, corroded brake pipes. Hardly sounds like it's kept in good roadworthy condition.
Wonder if the police could give the car a check over when they visit? Make sure she has corrected the last faults and that it is roadworthy...

I was surprised at my insurance company's approach to dashcam evidence. They asked me to send them a video clip by email. So they don't mind me being selective and editing the evidence...?

I tried to cut the best 4k footage down to just 10 seconds, but at 70MB it's not going in an email. So I've downsized it to 720p and sent a separate email with a full size frame of the car showing the number plate. Then sent a third email with the rear camera video clip. I've offered to upload the original files to a file sharing site, or copy them onto dvd.

Wonder if the police could give the car a check over when they visit? Make sure she has corrected the last faults and that it is roadworthy...
Police called back tonight. They have tracked her down. Have given me her name and number. Now we are supposed to call each other and exchange details, as we should have done at the roadside. Police don't want any more involvement from here on.

Glad you're OK @TonyM. Could have been much worse!

Why not send the requested email to the insurance company but also offer to put the videos online for downloading/viewing or offer a DVD for "physical evidence"?

Astonished to hear that the police don't wish to be involved. Here, leaving the scene of an automobile accident is a criminal offense.

I was surprised at my insurance company's approach to dashcam evidence. They asked me to send them a video clip by email. So they don't mind me being selective and editing the evidence...?

I tried to cut the best 4k footage down to just 10 seconds, but at 70MB it's not going in an email. So I've downsized it to 720p and sent a separate email with a full size frame of the car showing the number plate. Then sent a third email with the rear camera video clip. I've offered to upload the original files to a file sharing site, or copy them onto dvd.
Unless it goes to court they will only want to see what happened, an edited version is better for giving your view of what happened, up to the other side to then to either agree or take it to court.

An unlisted Youtube video is normally easiest since it is easy for anyone to watch, a download site is always better than email since large emails may not arrive. Some full size and detailed jpgs in the email is best of all accompanied with a short video to put them in context.

Zoom in on the plate in the editor so that the other side can see how much detail you have, then they wont argue.

Last edited:
Police called back tonight. They have tracked her down. Have given me her name and number. Now we are supposed to call each other and exchange details, as we should have done at the roadside. Police don't want any more involvement from here on.
That is how accidents are dealt with in the UK, unless there is reasonable evidence of dangerous driving rather than a mistake then it is not a police job. Only thing they might of taken up is the failure to stop, but unless someone is injured then they wont have much interest.

If I were king, I'd mandate widening of all roads to USofA-like widths, and get rid of all those damned rock walls and hedge rows. Start eating into private property to make everything better and safer for everyone.

If I were king, I'd mandate widening of all roads to USofA-like widths, and get rid of all those damned rock walls and hedge rows. Start eating into private property to make everything better and safer for everyone.
Our roads are a lot safer than yours!

Death rates from road traffic accidents by country, per 100,000 inhabitants, world map (WHO 2012):
600px-Road_traffic_accidents_world_map_-_Death_-_WHO2012.svg.png

Back