Minor Hit & Run - Recorded on 7 cameras

That looks too much to me, often when you need these things, you are turning a corner and the longer lens then causes extra motion blur. Well maybe not so much of an issue in countries that use light controlled junctions, but not so good on roundabouts…

I've been using this set-up for years with minor slightly shorter variations in focal length (it is a varifocal). I wouldn't be without this camera, but this is an auxiliary camera intended for use with a standard focal length dash cam. You don't need a telephoto on a roundabout nor for many other close range situations for that matter. The telephoto does what it does quite well and in fact often performs far better than you might expect in turning situations. It is outstanding at clearly capturing license plate numbers of approaching vehicles or rear plates of cars way out ahead of you. The performance and usefulness of a camera with such a lens installed has nothing whatsoever to do with what country you live in. As always you offer opinions on subjects you have no personal experience with.

Last edited:
What about the new Maxi? 6mm?

Don't know yet. 6mm sounds plausible though.

Frankly, one of the things I enjoy about a varifocal is the ability to experiment until I find what works best for my purposes, although a primary lens can have its advantages in speed and compactness.

I am on 12 mm on my zoom camera, and yes it is at the very top of a zoom camera for sure, but 6 - 8 mm is what i would recommend people start out with, or if they have the room a varifocal lens.

I think no matter which camera in this case, it do disproof the claims of the other part, cuz on all of them it do look to me as if the camera car could not go further Left without going off-road, and i dont think the UK code require you to throw your car into a ditch or a hedge.
Also i find that many people are in no way in tune with the size of their car, and really prefer to put it at least 4 feet / 1 M from anything, where as i personally have no problems putting my car within 5 - 6 inches or 10 - 15 cm of a curb, even at speed.
And i have never trashed a wheel by hitting something at the side of the road,,,,,,,, aside for that one time driving home from a put & take lake, and me keeping the right wheels a few CM into the tall grass due to very bumpy dirt track,,,,,,, unfortunately due to the tall grass i did not see the 1 X 1 X 1 foot thick piece of masonry lying there, so then i did loose a tire and wheel + i had to realign the right front wheel.

Another of those weekly mysterious accidents with a head on collision happened here yesterday, and once again it claimed a life. ( accidents which i call phone junkies revenge accidents )

That looks too much to me, often when you need these things, you are turning a corner and the longer lens then causes extra motion blur.

Here is a quick clip I put together to demonstrate how minimal motion blur can be while making a tight 180º right turn and then a 90º left turn on an overcast day. Varifocal lens was set to approximately 10-12mm.

My feeling with the zoom camera have always been even if i have used cameras with minor sensors such as the old mobius - Joovuu X cam and now Mobius maxi the i cant shake the feeling of the zoom camera giving a chance of a plate capture a but further out and in lower light conditions.
But the camera still have a sweet spot that is small, and so i have contemplated angling it with a little bias towards the left side to make the plate capturing sweet spot a few FPS larger.

In the case of my video it is a cloudy day but everything during the tight turns is discernible including signage and license plate numbers. Obviously, this would be enhanced on a bright sunny day.

I find oncoming cars plates further out are fairly easy to capture in "most" low light conditions. Of course, this depends on just how low the light is given that the Mobius is not a great performer in low light. The new Maxi 4K will be quite an improvement over the eight year old M1.

Last edited:
Yeah. i am keeping a eye on this, and other small 4K cameras as i would like one for onboard footage on the G-scale trains, but sooner or later i will also have to get a new zoom camera for the car.

What about the new Maxi? 6mm?

Don't know yet. 6mm sounds plausible though.

Frankly, one of the things I enjoy about a varifocal is the ability to experiment until I find what works best for my purposes, although a primary lens can have its advantages in speed and compactness.
I will be using a 3.6-11mm varifocal when I buy a Maxi 4K which I intend to use as my telephoto dashcam. That range seems to suit the 4K sensor well for this application.

I will be using a 3.6-11mm varifocal when I buy a Maxi 4K which I intend to use as my telephoto dashcam. That range seems to suit the 4K sensor well for this application.

That's my plan as well.

I'll be using one of my M1s with an ƒ/1.8 - 8mm lens. Actually, I've been planning to add the rear cam all summer but I just haven't had the time. Hoping I can get it done before it gets too cold to work on my vehicle.

Last edited:
I wish I had my M1 6mm installed in the rear today. Would have had a good view of the lady behind eating a sandwich and holding her phone while driving! I'll check the A139 and T130 rear cameras later but I'm not expecting much detail from them.

I'll check the A139 and T130 rear cameras later but I'm not expecting much detail from them.
For a while now I've been using two QHD A119 V3s with a 5K monitor. With that combination it is quite remarkable how much you can magnify an image for increased detail.

For a while now I've been using two QHD A119 V3s with a 5K monitor. With that combination it is quite remarkable how much you can magnify an image for increased detail.
That is front and back A119s?
Not standard and telephoto...

You can zoom in on any resolution monitor to see the full detail available from QHD.

T130 and A139 rear cameras are only 1080p. My laptops are both 1920x1080.

I checked the videos and I can see the sandwich. The phone is less clear. Time to reinstall the rear telephoto. However I think my car is struggling for dashcam power as I'm already at 11CH!:oops:

I find that with 2K images on my 5K monitor I can capture fairly extreme zoom-in magnifications with virtually no pixelization. I could not do this on my older 1920x1080 monitor.

full.jpeg

magnified.jpg

An interesting long time feature of Mac computers is the built in magnifier tool available in certain software clients. When deployed on a 5K monitor with 2K images you can extract even further details without excessive pixelization.

magnfied3.jpg

magnified2.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had my M1 6mm installed in the rear today. Would have had a good view of the lady behind eating a sandwich and holding her phone while driving! I'll check the A139 and T130 rear cameras later but I'm not expecting much detail from them.
A139 and T130 rear cameras. Both cropped to 1280x360. Just enough detail to see what's going on inside the car behind. A telephoto lens would have been better.

T130-A139 Rear.jpg

Last edited:
Back