mio 388

bernard

Reaction score
hi just got my hands on a 388 with gps up to now impressive does everything it says it would very good software good picture cost 149.00 euro but at weekend i can test it better;can anyone help me with the speed camera updates cos i am having troubles..........................

When first released to local market ( beginning of this year ). - they had only Taiwan speed camera data-base. Later they have added a Russian speed cameras as well, but only for Russian official dealers.
I am afraid they will not go for other markets speed camera updates so soon, because local market and Russia is priority for them. Demand and sales in Russia beats ( probably / nearly ? ) all other countries combined.

Maybe it's a matter of agreement availability with the companies that provides map updates for their technological cousins: the GPS navigators.
Surely the MiVue speedcam updates are taken from those products.

Anyone knows if the speedcam data are located in a specific file? Perhaps it can be generated by ourselves using an utility like GPS Babel...

Its just a poi database, a 3rd party company supplies them, there are also public crowd sourced versions that can be used

Re: mio 388 Speedcam updates

ElectricCircus said:
Hi Bernard!

Just buyed mine overseas, so hope to put my hands on it in 3 weeks.

About the speedcam updates: my vendor said it only works in Taiwan (at least, at this moment).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mio-Mivue-388-F ... 0626629815

Best regards.

How does it compare to the Smallest Amberlla? (at half the price)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001

or the 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera (no GPS though)
http://www.spytecinc.com/dr32-1080p-hd- ... hgqYZKPOi7

The Day/Night video quality is outstanding, what are the tech details on this cam? (chipset, bitrate, etc) What makes it worth the price premium? Looks like a winner though for near stealth size behind the Rearview Mirror

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody can tell you fair answer comparison of those 3 dash cams, because for that "you" need to have in hands all 3 dash cams and make side by side tests.
We can only speculate by analysing specs, but even here we can not say Mio being "overpriced".
Mio as a brand by itself is step ( few steps ?) ahead of other named. It is very strong brand with good history, stable firmware and quality built.
Also Mio 388 has many advantages over others where price puts it up:
- Built In GPS,
- Enhanced night vision, Automatically adjusts the recording mode day/night, ambient light intensity optimization, improve video quality.
- 6+1 glass lens, where that "+1" is IR filter
- ability to purchase and add a CPL lens filter.

Other specs I can tell should be near similar on all of 3 dash cams named.

So Mio 388 having so many extras, - their higher price is justified.

I would not say that any of them be the nr.1 winner for stealth install behind the mirror. Within each named dash cam price-range there are many other dash cams out there that have better night-recording and are also small in size ( some are even smaller than named above ).

Re: mio 388 Speedcam updates

JazJon said:
The Day/Night video quality is outstanding, what are the tech details on this cam? (chipset, bitrate, etc) What makes it worth the price premium? Looks like a winner though for near stealth size behind the Rearview Mirror

Don't minded about the technical details (chipset, bitrate, etc) behind this device, as long as don't plan to hack or modifying it: just choosed because it's outstanding video quality, enough features and reasonably priced from my point of view.
Previously bought a far better priced generic dual cam+GPS logger unit, and whilst it performed reasonable well the video quality was poor; never could identify the licence plate of the car parked or stopped right in front of my vehicle.

As Niko said, a fair device comparison should be done with all the units working at the same time and facing the same scene; and there is another thing -at least for me- not easy to evaluate: the mid/long term reliability. Hope that "well known and reputated brands" as Mio/Garmin/HP put more effort on the reliability of their products than generic/unbranded electronic device makers.

About the price: in modern image capture devices (photo or video cams) maybe the most significant cost is involved with the lens. Probably the choose of glass elements, in pursuit of best image quality, raised the manufacturing cost of these MiVue units.

hi just got my hands on a 388 with gps up to now impressive does everything it says it would very good software good picture cost 149.00 euro but at weekend i can test it better;can anyone help me with the speed camera updates cos i am having troubles..........................

Hi Bernard, where did you buy your 388 from for 149 euro, I've seen a couple of cheap deals on EBay from Taiwan.
Halfords the car accessories retailer in the UK stock and sell them for £199.99 for the 388, and £149.99 for the 358.

Would I be correct in assuming they are the same except for the GPS on the 388.

Are there any decent deals on these cameras beside those I mentioned. I think that £200 is the recommended retail price, The big plus buying from Halfords means easy replacement or support if you get problems, as they have stores virtually every town in the UK..just wondering if that's worth £50... Lol

hi all,
does anybody know if the mio 388 can be used as a navigation device? we've asked several stores and got contradicting replies... we are looking for a device that can be used as a dashcam and also as a seperate navigation device. some shops told us that this is the perfect device for that and others told us that the 388 does have a gps but only to give details about the roads that were taken, as in hindsight 'you've driven from point A to point B) instead of what you can do with a navigation device: we want to go to point B, how do we get there...?
hope you can give us some advice here, thx
rick

No.. No dash camera AFAIK has a built-in satnav.

The onboard GPS is for logging the vehicles journey so it can be viewed alongside the video when its played back, a google map displays the position of the vehicle so it coincides with what your seeing on the screen. IOW if the car is approaching a junction on the video, you will also see it on the map, plus the GPS adds speed data and stuff like that. But no proper navigation I'm afraid.. ask again in 5 years..lol

You would need a proper SatNav device like a TomTom or similar, I'm fortunate in that my car has a SatNav built-in to the car dash, one of the pricy options I added when buying the car.

they do exist, I don't think they are ideal though

I stand corrected.. and joklin should know.. he makes dashcams..lol

I've certainly never heard of any.

I can see such products becoming more popular, especially when prices are so reasonable, as long as the camera quality is not compromised.

I'm not so sure, for most vehicles the ideal location for a dashcam and the ideal location for a GPS are two different locations, add to that the camera can be pretty stealth and the type of thing you can leave in all the time as you would want to so it's setup to go all the time, the GPS on the other hand is the type of device you don't leave stuck on the window sometimes, parking lots etc, as soon as it becomes something you have to keep taking on and off it becomes a chore and you'll find the time you get lazy and don't stick it to the window and drive off will be the time you need it most

I'm sure there are some scenarios where it might be a reasonable option, in a truck, delivery vehicle etc perhaps, there's obviously some sort of market for them or they wouldn't exist, there are others around also

the
I'm not so sure, for most vehicles the ideal location for a dashcam and the ideal location for a GPS are two different locations, add to that the camera can be pretty stealth and the type of thing you can leave in all the time as you would want to so it's setup to go all the time, the GPS on the other hand is the type of device you don't leave stuck on the window sometimes, parking lots etc, as soon as it becomes something you have to keep taking on and off it becomes a chore and you'll find the time you get lazy and don't stick it to the window and drive off will be the time you need it most

I'm sure there are some scenarios where it might be a reasonable option, in a truck, delivery vehicle etc perhaps, there's obviously some sort of market for them or they wouldn't exist, there are others around also

I agree with all the points you make, and I immediately saw the limitations of screen positioning.

On a different subject joklin, I have located a much later firmware for this Mio 368 but it's on the Russian Mio site, which I translated via google, and have downloaded it, but obviously no intention of updating at ths time. ;-)

My question is.. what do you think the odds are, of a Russian firmware, also having English within it's languages available ? I'm thinking very slim... :-(

I have emailed Mio and asked them this same question, as the consequences of my installing it and it just being in Russian, would be catastrophic..lol

This 368 only seems to be have been distributed to Russia, other than a few mugs like myself who bought it from sellers in Taiwan. There's no mention of it on the UK and European Mio sites, they just list the older 338, 358 and 388 models, which are also available in the UK from the Halfords car chain stores etc.

Last edited:
Rare for a product not to have English menu option also, never say never though, there are some decisions made that defy common sense

There is a Russian DVR forum I know of where you might be able to ask, I don't recall the address right now but have it bookmarked, will have a look when I'm in front of my computer next

Rare for a product not to have English menu option also, never say never though, there are some decisions made that defy common sense

There is a Russian DVR forum I know of where you might be able to ask, I don't recall the address right now but have it bookmarked, will have a look when I'm in front of my computer next

Thanks joklin, I have spoken to Mio european on the phone this morning, and they too said it would very likely have the English language option, but suggested I contacted their Russion website to confirm... which should be fun..lol
Re. yes I remember jazjon pulling down a Russian firmware version for his mini 0801 (CX4 or something like that) so will have a search to see if I can find its web address.. maybe users on the Russian forum can confirm whether it also has English option... Thanks a lot.
Edit: I think this may be it. http://videoregforum.ru/

this was the one I was thinking of http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php

could also have a look if the Russian manual is available for download, even if only in Russian you should be able to see if there's a language option in the menu, be surprised if there's not being a brand name product

Back