mio 388

this was the one I was thinking of http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php

could also have a look if the Russian manual is available for download, even if only in Russian you should be able to see if there's a language option in the menu, be surprised if there's not being a brand name product

Thanks matey.. I'll check that site out.

I'm actually scrolling through the firmware code at the moment, which I've dis-assembled just to see if I can tell from it's contents, looks like its written in C++. My educated guess is it does have a English language option, as I've found many of the menu settings options listed in ascii text. ;-)

ok, they could flag the language off and still leave it there, would be unusual though

After, a 1 hr browse through a copy of most of the code, and although it did'nt de-compile brilliantly, it did it sufficiently for me to be 99.99% certain it did indeed support English language, so based on that I figured it was worth a gamble.

I'm pleased to say it flashed okay, and guess what, it came up in English by default, it seems to support quite a lot of language options including French, German, Russian etc.. Bit surprised it came up right away in English though. (I assume it noted current settings before updating) I had counted how many clicks of the buttons to get to the language options in case it came up in Russian..lol. Firmware version was v2.00.01.7 the update from the Russian Mio site is now v2.01.04, and I noticed when WDR is now enabled on quick test it seems to have much more contrast, and that image noise I mentioned seems to have pretty much disappeared when WDR is enabled, so first impressions are indicating it was definately worth updating it.
EDIT: I've since noticed that the bitrate has increased from 13000kbps to just over 14000kbps, so thats also good, mind you the image quality was pretty good before.

I could'nt see any mention of Mio cams on that last link, but the 1st link I put up does have most of the popular dash cameras including a Mio forum on which 'Mio Russia' techs appear to have a presence. :) Thats how I knew what chipset it used. ;-)

Thanks for your help joklin... very much appreciated, looks like my initial fears were totally unwarranted... but better safe than sorry...lol

Last edited:
No.. No dash camera AFAIK has a built-in satnav.

they do exist, I don't think they are ideal though

AppTronics has a NAV + DashCam product, but Windows CE is garbage, and it only records in 720P
http://www.app-tronics.com
I messed around with them at SEMA in Vegas last weekend. It's interesting they are pushing inovation, but Windows CD and low res is a deal breaker. They are supposedly working on an Android version but it's more than a year away.

Back