Mio mivue 568 safety camera alert question

Thoko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I was thinking of purchasing either the MiVue 568 or 538 as a dash cam. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the speed/safety camera feature. I know this works very well in their home country Taiwan where they keep a pretty thorough database of all the traffic/speed cameras. While I've mostly only seen red light cameras in the US; the question I have is if anyone can tell tell whether or not this feature even works in the US? Does Mio have a good database for traffic/red light/speed cams in the US? if not then this seems like a mote feature for the US region. Any info you ask can give would be greatly appreciated!

It seems that the Mio 568 is branded for Europe and Asia only. There does not seem to be any support for "safety cams" at all for the US as far as I can see.

The only explanation that I can think of is that Mio and another manufacturer have agreed to not compete with each other in the US. My guess is that the "Garmin" branded dashcams, that are generally $25-$30 more expensive than the Mio brand, are the same exact device on the inside as the Mio devices. It's my speculation that Garmin has licensed the device for sale in the US from Mio and so Mio does not compete with their own customer. This is, of course, complete speculation on my part, but the Garmin device user interface looks very similar to the Mio user interface.

In my area, they gave up on "safety cameras", so I have no real use for that feature. Actually, I wish there was a settings choice to allow me to remove that "button" from the touch screen interface on the 568. I occasionally hit that button by mistake to add a personal safety cam entry and then every time I drive by that location again, it always alerts me to the non-existent traffic cam until I go into the settings and delete it. This tells me that the feature would work just fine in the US if there was a database available for it.

Back