Mio MiVue J85 - firmware and modifications

InToSSH

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hello everyone,
recently I bought this dashcam, I am quite happy with it, and with video quality, but there are still some issues that are bugging me.
One of them is when I press the manual event record button, it only saves 5sec prior to the button press, this is not enough, for example if someone cuts into my lane, I need to control my car first, then press the button and I miss the moment they cut into my lane.
I would be happy if this could be changed in the firmware, not sure if this is related to the size of buffer in the camera, but I would be glad if it could save whole previous and current video file (which it already saves, split to 1min), this way it wouldn't need a buffer.

I am not quite familiar with how those firmwares work, or if this could be done, but being a PC software developer I was able to dig out some interesting stuff from the firmware, someone might find it useful.

If you connect the camera to the PC, you can do multiples things with it:
At least for me, the camera provides a DHCP for the 192.72.1.0/24 subnet. Based on what I have seen in the firmware, this seems to be hard coded in there, so it should be the same for all.

These links might also work for other MiVue models.

Preview live RTSP feed from the camera
Using for example VLC player you can view the live feed using these addresses:

rtsp://192.72.1.1/liveRTSP/av2 (front)
rtsp://192.72.1.1/liveRTSP/av4 (front)

rtsp://192.72.1.1/liveRTSP/av1 (haven't had the rear cam connected, but I assume these are for the rear cam)
rtsp://192.72.1.1/liveRTSP/av3 (rear cam?)

Basic WEB UI for built in Alpha Imaging Technology Corp controller - can set WIFI settings and basic cam settings
http://192.72.1.1/index.html

Get the entire config from the camera (with config options list)
http://192.72.1.1/cgi-bin/Config.cgi?action=get&property=*

Set the configuration of the camera
http://192.72.1.1/cgi-bin/Config.cgi?action=set&property={PROPERTY FROM THE LIST}&value={VALUE FROM THE OPTIONS}

Full configuration file: https://pastebin.com/iQmqq0y5

One of them is when I press the manual event record button, it only saves 5sec prior to the button press, this is not enough, for example if someone cuts into my lane, I need to control my car first, then press the button and I miss the moment they cut into my lane.
I would be happy if this could be changed in the firmware, not sure if this is related to the size of buffer in the camera, but I would be glad if it could save whole previous and current video file (which it already saves, split to 1min), this way it wouldn't need a buffer.

this is one of the downsides of prebuffer

I guess this is usually saved to a RAM, not being actually stored on the SD card and rewritten, so those 5second actually depend on the amount of RAM, am I right?
Since the recording is already running when I hit the emergency button, even without enough of the RAM I think it should be able to copy the previously saved video file and current video file to a separate "emergency" folder, so this would be a workaround, given it would take more space for each manual emergency event recorded. I wanted to look at the firmware to see if I could find the variable that sets the 5sec prerecording and maybe try to increase it, but since I am not sure where this is stored I might be risking some faults due to filling up the whole RAM memory.
I contacted Mio support about this and they basically told me that if I don't like the product I can return it, and that the FW can't be modified.. I'm kinda disappointed with their support. I also mentioned the Wifi connection issues and they didn't even respond.

I guess this is usually saved to a RAM, not being actually stored on the SD card and rewritten, so those 5second actually depend on the amount of RAM, am I right?
correct

wanted to look at the firmware to see if I could find the variable that sets the 5sec prerecording and maybe try to increase it, but since I am not sure where this is stored I might be risking some faults due to filling up the whole RAM memory.
unlikely to be able to increase it, prebuffer is always limited in capacity for this reason

Well, those 5 seconds work great for both parking mode and g-sensor triggered event aswell, thats the right amount of time needed to see before the accident. Just for the manual even recording I would like to have a little bit more time, or possibly the whole previous and current video file. Still this is better option than having for example parking mode without buffer at all. So I guess if I want to keep some interesting footage from my driving I will have to manually copy it to my PC before it gets overwritten as I am unable to save it with the event button.
Anyway thank you @jokiin for your response :)

My old MiVue camera had 30sec before and 30sec after the event. I was very frustrated to see this downgrade. Why is that I'm not sure but come on. All the time someone makes something dangerous and you can't save it in time.

Yea, it would be nice to have 30 seconds, then I would be even totally fine with the fact that the Wifi sucks.
I asked Mio about it and their reasoning is that the emergency record should primarily get activated in case of crash by G-sensor and those 5 secs are enough, they don't seem to undestand that sometimes you just want to save something interesting/dangerous what other drivers did, which didn't necesarilly end with a crash to activate the sensor. Even when I told then this, they just told me to get a 128GB SD card, then I can save the emergency recording just to save the date and time and then go through normal recording to find the rest of the video, but that means to take the camera/sd card out of the car, put it into a pc and download the records, which I don't want to do.

Even when I told then this, they just told me to get a 128GB SD card, then I can save the emergency recording just to save the date and time and then go through normal recording to find the rest of the video, but that means to take the camera/sd card out of the car, put it into a pc and download the records, which I don't want to do.

This is actually what I'm doing now. And it is frustrating as I have to download the video no more than 48 hours. After that it is over, as it will be overwritten. Next camera will not be MiVue if this issue doesn't get fixed.

@InToSSH
how do you get it to connect to PC? when i connect it via USB, the device just loop restarts.
It's definitely working camera as it is fine when connected to ac power.

@InToSSH
how do you get it to connect to PC? when i connect it via USB, the device just loop restarts.
It's definitely working camera as it is fine when connected to ac power.
Well if I connect it to PC via USB, it just connects as mass storage device with the SD card accessible. Do you have the SD card inserted?
For the stuff I was talking about in the first post you have to connect your laptop/smartphone wifi to the camera and open the IP in the browser.
Not sure why it bootloops for you when you connect it.

Back