Mirror mounted HDVR-150 vs chinese stuff

Jedd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick review of my recent purchase of HDVR-150 from Amazon:
61zRRnk2AxL._SL1000_.jpg

and a chepo Mirror mounted double cam DVR from ebay (china)
$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8GkcBQ8rO5FLpg~~60_3.JPG

The short story - very cool mounting idea, but very bad video quality on both of them.

The longer comparison:
Fit and finish: a tie. HDVR has nicer and more solid feel, but not by far. DVR has frameless design, which provides bigger mirror and hides imperfections
Button operations: a tie. HDVR has less buttons, but you can get used to them quickly if you go through the manual. DVR manual is useless, but buttons are somewhat easier to understand. Flash card is very much to access on HDVR, not so on DVR
General operations: a tie. HDVR has smaller but brighter display. DVR is bigger but almost useless during the day because of the glare. HDVR has camera and display on the right side, which doesn't make sense for left sided cars - the display is further away and the lens has to be tilted to the maximum, which might explain bad picture quality
Picture quality: a hand to HDVR. They both suck, the plates are impossible to read on most occasions even standing right behind (other reviews indicate better quality, maybe I got a dud). Both work in 720p/30fps mode. HDVR has 1080p/15fps, but it provides no image improvement at all. HDVR has less amount of compression artifacts and you can get more details out of it. (see the pictures)
File size: DVR wins. HDVR clips take about 10 times more space (a gig for 5 minutes) without any reason to do so
Stitching: a tie. Both are good
Features: a tie. HDVR has G sensor which starts recording when power is off in case of shock. DVR supposedly has the same as well as motion detection, but I couldn't figure out how to activate it. DVR has a second camera which can be mounted behind.
Price: DVR wins. $100 vs $150

My conclusions: for the price I'm going to stay with DVR. Second camera outweighs the slightly better picture. (and the fact that it's much harder and expensive to return)

Attachments

• hdvr1.jpg
    hdvr1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 655
  • dvr1.jpg
    dvr1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 654
  • hdvr2.jpg
    hdvr2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 653
  • dvr2.jpg
    dvr2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 653
The mirror dashcam was a very nice idea, unfortunately ruined by the video quality. Even some manufacturer want to release a very good quality camera in this style, the history of user feedback will ruin also his idea.
I see two major problems on this type of dashcam:
- create separate product for left and right
- many times the dashcam mirror is too big and you cannot use anymore the car sun visors.

Here is an article about this type of dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I got a good one, but I like my mirror dash cam a lot. I've seen better video quality, but I've seen a lot worse too. Same for night time.
As to the mirror is too big for sun visors, well you know you can move the mirror left or right on your existing mirror...? When I first installed mine, it bumped my visor. I just slid it to the right a bit, and now all is good.

- many times the dashcam mirror is too big and you cannot use anymore the car sun visors.
61mA-8dq0TL._SL1000_.jpg

HDVR-150 has solved left/right problem by protruding camera element forward close enough to the windshield, so it can look on both sides without interference.
In my car (Audi A4) no mirror can be too big, the visors close before the mirror surface plane. ;)

Addition of rear cam, which can be mounted outside and used for backing up is a big plus imho. As well as over-sized mirror.

But yeah, I would personally would gladly pay more for better video quality.

Mtz said:
The mirror dashcam was a very nice idea, unfortunately ruined by the video quality. Even some manufacturer want to release a very good quality camera in this style, the history of user feedback will ruin also his idea.

Here is an article about this type of dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

This review in youtube is over bias.. I have sold a lot of the above camera and we are right hand drive and none of them have what he said been blocked by the rearview mirror. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anh3MLNd48w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsPMdXq9HNU

Click on the resolution setting to set to 720p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back