Mirror Tap for dashcams

XtremeAaron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm hoping y'all can help me figure out what I need. I have a Mobius cam that I'd like to install in my new Ram utilizing the mirror power. They make these for radar detectors but none have the USB end. Id like to diy my own but need to know what all I need.

Will I need a voltage converter to step down to 5v?

Any help/tips are appreciated!

Hello,

I'm hoping y'all can help me figure out what I need. I have a Mobius cam that I'd like to install in my new Ram utilizing the mirror power. They make these for radar detectors but none have the USB end. Id like to diy my own but need to know what all I need.

Will I need a voltage converter to step down to 5v?

Any help/tips are appreciated!

You will most likely need a PS to step down to 5VDC; I highly doubt that this voltage is available at your mirror. You'll also need to ensure the wire being tapped has the power characteristics you want and can handle the extra load. Many of the newest vehicles have a computer-controlled power scheme and tapping into the 'wrong' wire may cause various problems (or not) both for car and/or cam.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't know that particular vehicle well enough to go that far. You might do well to ask on a vehicle-specific owner's forum to get better details ;)

Phil

You could also look at sunroof supply, if you have one these are always very heavy more than up to job, though I have used mirror supply on audi's fords vauxhalls etc without problems, depends as said how "clever" power system is.

Back