Missing Dashcam Footage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
i've had a search through the forum form something similar, but can't find anything so apols if i'm duplicating

I was part of an accident last week (9th Jun) and my dashcam was active. In the accident, I was struck from behind and then shunted into the vehicle in front.
However, when retrieving the footage, at the point of impact the footage stops and the next footage continues when I start to move the car to a safe place and then exit. So in effect the key part of the footage isn't there.

I've had a few discussions with Nextbase which isn't conclusive, but wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom.

In terms of the SD car, it's a Transcend 16gb micro SD. when i import all the videos, there is nothing in the RO folders, which i believe is the protected folder, with the last file in the 5th Jun.
the last time the card was formatted, is likely 5th Feb, so I'm also wondering/assuming if the RO folder is full then it can't further record into it (so not formatting regular is the cause unfortunately)
the camera is hardwired with the Nextbase kit and Parking mode is set to off

has anyone ever experienced this, or have seen this before to provide any infor.

thanks
mick

Hi Mick,

Not sure I can add much here as you're already talking to our engineers. But I'll list below what usually causes missing footage so that anyone in future can also read the advice.

Firstly I'd recommend thoroughly looking through the footage on the SD card, including footage listed under the wrong date. If you view it using a computer, you'll be able to view every piece of footage and ensure the clip required is definitely not on the SD card.

If the footage is 100% not anywhere on the card, then at the time of the crash the footage was not recorded by the SD card correctly.
SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

If the file was not recorded, it's likely the SD card is not functioning correctly, and is probably missing a lot more footage than previously thought. If this is the case, we would highly recommend replacing the SD card and ensuring it's regularly formatted. For a 312GW we recommend a 8GB-128GB U1 SD card. The larger the card, the more footage will be able to be saved onto the card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G 312GW 4
Rickn55 312GW 0
J 312GW 7
Back