Missing files 512GW

Dave777

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My newish 512GW is missing files the DCIM folder. It sometimes jumps a number in the sequence and that portion is missing. I have checked the VIDEO and PROTECTED folders. eg it goes from file clip 191 to 193 skipping 192 which is missing?

I had an accident today and the bit I needed is one of the missing files!!!

I installed a new Sandisk Extreme 128Gb U3 card recently which was formatted in the unit. I have also tried a 32Gb Sandisk Extreme U3 with same results?

The dashcam is hardwired to the ignition by Halfords and mainly on factory defaults with 2 files saved for each clip.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Was the sd card formatted within the 512gw before you first used it? What firmware are you currently on? I was running with. Sandisk 64gb sd card on my 412gw but recently upgraded my 412gw with the latest firmware and purchased a Samsung evo class 10 sd card and it has worked fine so far... also I’d turn the dual file option off for the hi and lo res files

The card was formatted in the device and running R21.6 (the latest I think) as I have a rear dash cam for it which I haven't fitted yet.

So frustrating as the file number is missing in the list of videos and is the 3 minutes with the accident. I have used dash cams for years and this is the first time I needed it in anger and nothing!

Think I see somewhere on this forum that there’s a program you can download (windows) that it recovers missing recorded files?

I tried an undelete program just in case but the file is not there either sadly.

There have been a small number of instances of this and I wonder if the 'bump' has stopped the unit saving the currently in-recording file ?
Slightly dodgy battery and not enough power to perform the save.

The unit is only a month old. The car was parked for a couple of days before this and the incident happened in the first 5 minutes of my journey. The bump was minor in terms of G.

Which sort of makes my assumption possible, not enough battery charge to complete the save if direct power was lost.

Last edited:
I agree with you, that is my only thought too. But BMWs keep power on even when you turn the engine off? It is so frustrating as I have 3 dashcams and this is the first time I have needed it!!

Hi guys,

My newish 512GW is missing files the DCIM folder. It sometimes jumps a number in the sequence and that portion is missing. I have checked the VIDEO and PROTECTED folders. eg it goes from file clip 191 to 193 skipping 192 which is missing?

I had an accident today and the bit I needed is one of the missing files!!!

I installed a new Sandisk Extreme 128Gb U3 card recently which was formatted in the unit. I have also tried a 32Gb Sandisk Extreme U3 with same results?

The dashcam is hardwired to the ignition by Halfords and mainly on factory defaults with 2 files saved for each clip.

I have exactly the same issue as the above post.

512GW Sandisk Extreme 128 U3 - brand new to replace the previous SanDisk.
new sd card still had missing footage
Nextbase support asked lots of questions which I answered and their reply was that only Nextbase SD cards are recommended.
not much help really as I've been using SanDisk for years in this 512GW.
I suspect maybe the camera has become faulty??
It has the latest firmware 22.5
and to top it all... I borrowed my son's Nextbase sd card to try and still I get the same problem.
Someone suggested disabling the Hi & Lo resolution recording option to just one.

Nextbase have posted many times that their dashcams don't work reliably with Sandisk cards.

Back