Missing footage

Zippy1148

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new A119V3 about 3 weeks ago. I have just reviewed a weeks dashcam footage and found 2 full days (2 long journeys) and 2 part journeys are missing. All others are good. It is strange that 2 full days consisting of 2 seperate journeys are missing. On the days part of the journey is missing, it is the start period. The recording suddenly starts where I am driving along (not when starting from staionary or anything that could be ignition related).

This is obviously concerning since large portions are unrecorded. Nothing has been saved to another motion activated folder. I am using a brand new Sandisk High Endurance 64GB card.
I previously had a A118 and had issues of recording stopping when the Audi stop/start switched the engine off and back on, but this appears different.
I am using a 2 wire hardwire kit because I'm not interested in parking mode. However, could stop /start issues be overcome with a 3 wire kit? Thanks

I've seen quite a few reports of stop/start interfering with dashcam continuity. They tend to trick the dashcam into thinking the ignition has just been turned off so go into powerdown mode.

It's tricky but my first step would be to check the circuit you're using isn't one that briefly loses power.

@Kremmen is correct to suggest checking the power circuit for your dash cam. This is an issue I have encountered periodically ever since I purchased my first dash cam ten years ago. More often than not the solution is a simple one if you use a cigarette lighter socket installed power supply to run your camera. A poor connection can cause the camera to briefly lose power when you hit a bump in the road or from vibrations while driving.

It is possible that you have some other issue going on so the first order of business is to do some simple troubleshooting to eliminate what I am describing here as the problem.

Check to make sure that the USB power charger is making good contact. Make certain it is plugged in all the way and twist it back and forth briefly to insure contact with the connection to your car's power. The slightest bit of oxidation inside the cigarette lighter socket can cause an intermittent connection that can periodically manifest when you hit a bump. This can happen even if the camera starts right up when you turn on your ignition.

Do the same with the cable plugs. Check to make sure they are fully plugged into the camera's USB port and the charger/power supply's USB port. Remove the plugs and push them back in.

Depending on the environment you live in, oxidation and poor electrical connections can be a chronic problem as can bumpy roads and vibrations from daily driving conditions. This is a far more common issue than most people think.

A good practice is to use a good quality contact cleaner/enhancer on all dash cam electrical plug connections. This can literally cure the problem you are describing and can prevent it from reoccurring. Personally, I treat all my dash cam connections with a contact cleaner every few months as a form of preventive maintenance to prevent any loss of power and insure good connections. Any good quality electrical contact cleaner will work but I highly recommend the Caig product line, especially DeoxIT-D5.

deoxit.jpg

Last edited:
Try extending the startup/shutdown times in the setup menu.

Is there a shutdown delay ?

Can't say I've seen it.

That would help combat stop/start power fluctuations.

Is there a shutdown delay ?

Can't say I've seen it.

That would help combat stop/start power fluctuations.
I'm not sure if A119 has the shutdown delay setting or not without checking...

I've seen quite a few reports of stop/start interfering with dashcam continuity. They tend to trick the dashcam into thinking the ignition has just been turned off so go into powerdown mode.

It's tricky but my first step would be to check the circuit you're using isn't one that briefly loses power.

I installed a new A119V3 about 3 weeks ago. I have just reviewed a weeks dashcam footage and found 2 full days (2 long journeys) and 2 part journeys are missing. All others are good. It is strange that 2 full days consisting of 2 seperate journeys are missing. On the days part of the journey is missing, it is the start period. The recording suddenly starts where I am driving along (not when starting from staionary or anything that could be ignition related).

This is obviously concerning since large portions are unrecorded. Nothing has been saved to another motion activated folder. I am using a brand new Sandisk High Endurance 64GB card.
I previously had a A118 and had issues of recording stopping when the Audi stop/start switched the engine off and back on, but this appears different.
I am using a 2 wire hardwire kit because I'm not interested in parking mode. However, could stop /start issues be overcome with a 3 wire kit? Thanks
The A119 V3 is using the same twin hardwire kit the old 118 was using. I am using an ignition live of some type, but yes it is triggered when stop/start switches off at traffic lights, but then often didn't restart the camera when the ignition restarts. I tried resolving that a few years ago to no avai. However with the A119 V3 it appears there is a new issue where complete trips of 45mins are missed. I also found one day, recordings randomly started 35mins into the journey while dou g a steady 30mph (so not stop/start related). All connections are good, piggyback fuse tap and good ground). I already added a long delay start, but there is no delay shut down I have seen

tried a different power supply, the A119 has higher power requirement than the A118, the old power supply may have been fine on the A118 but could be an issue for your new camera

Agree

Before you consider returning the unit, if you are, take it indoors and plug it into a mobile phone USB wall adapter/charger.

Do this quite a few times with at least 10 mins or so of recording.

Basically, check the unit itself is OK and that it is the car power source.

I'm still using a Nextbase series 1 HWK and it's never failed. IIRC the latest Nextbase series 2 HWK pushes out more amps, is available in Halfords, and that would solve that possible issue. All you would need to do then is find a source that isn't affected by the starter motor draw at each stop/start.

For example, highly unlikely that the radio turns off and on or the display briefly dims, during stop/start, if not then that could be a good test.

Is there an Audi forum with any useful info regarding where to tap from ?

@Zippy1148, now that we are aware that you are using the power supply from your older A118, the other important consideration is the cable. The A119 V3 requires a 22 AWG cable to operate properly. I don't recall what the A118 HWK shipped with but I believe it may have been a thinner wire gauge. If so, that could also be contributing to the problem you are experiencing.

@Zippy1148, now that we are aware that you are using the power supply from your older A118, the other important consideration is the cable. The A119 V3 requires a 22 AWG cable to operate properly. I don't recall what the A118 HWK shipped with but I believe it may have been a thinner wire gauge. If so, that could also be contributing to the problem you are experiencing.
Even though I'm not interested in a parking mode, and so only 2 wire kit, would you still recommend the Viofo 3 wire kit? When I connected up my other car I thought I could only use 2 of the 3 viofo wires, (ACC and GND). I was surprised it didn't work until I connected the permanent live. Does the 3 wire kit behave differently in normal driving mode? If so could a 3 wire connection overcome the stop/start issue

The Nextbase series 1 HWK is only 2 wire (I don't use parking mode) you need to check the only available one, series 2, and see if that's the same, assuming you want to go down that route.

If the stop/start issue is because of which circuit is being tapped, then no HWK or PS will fix that.

With a 3-wire HWK, the power wire runs the cam in all modes, the acc wire only tells the cam whether the engine is switched on or not. To use a 3-wire HWK without parking mode, connect the power and acc wire together and tap into a switched circuit.

Beginning with the A119 Viofo cams have all required more robust power sources than usual. Many problems have been reported which were solved by using the proper PS or HWK. Just because a PS delivers enough power for another cam doesn't mean it will work with a Viofo :cautious:

Phil

If the stop/start issue is because of which circuit is being tapped, then no HWK or PS will fix that.
With a 3-wire kit, the camera never actually loses power, so the results can be different. I don't know if they are for the A119 though.

Reactions: Mtz
Even though I'm not interested in a parking mode, and so only 2 wire kit, would you still recommend the Viofo 3 wire kit? When I connected up my other car I thought I could only use 2 of the 3 viofo wires, (ACC and GND). I was surprised it didn't work until I connected the permanent live. Does the 3 wire kit behave differently in normal driving mode? If so could a 3 wire connection overcome the stop/start issue

Sorry, I probably should have been a little more clear. When I said the A119 series requires a 22 AWG cable I was referring to the USB cable between the 12v - 5v converter and the camera, not the wires going to going to the 12V fuse tap. If the USB cable that powers the camera uses 22 AWG wires inside, it works fine. That is what it ships with. If the USB cable from the older A118 has thinner wire such as 26 AWG or even 24 AWG the A119 could experience problems such as a flickering screen, audio noises and other problems and may also be part of the issue you are having. This problem can be even worse with long cable runs. The issue of 3 wire vs 2 wire for power from your car or for parking mode is separate from what I was talking about.

Last edited:
With a 3-wire kit, the camera never actually loses power, so the results can be different. I don't know if they are for the A119 though.
With BOTH wires connected to a IGN switched circuit, it does lose power when the car is switched off. With it wired normally you'd be right.

Phil

Ok guys I got nowhere trying to resolve this and now an accident happened, and guess what it wasnt recording! Looking at recordings, the main time it doesnt record is at the start of SOME journeys. It just never starts, but occasionally starts mid journey. (not associated with a bump in the road etc). Some 45 min trips fail to record at all, then an hour later 3 trips record fine.
I have changed the memory card, checked all wires (hard wired in). I cant find another fuse to use that isnt a safety critical one. It cant be the start/stop that I originally thought an issue because that isnt used on start up .(you put the fob into its slot and push in to start the car.) Yes it is still triggered when stop/start switches off at traffic lights, but then often doesnt restart the camera when the ignition restarts. I have tried various delays in recording start time, with no difference.

One step at a time ......

If you plug it, indoors, into a mobile phone charger USB adapter does it fire up and stay recording ?

'Ill try. I didnt do that last time because it was random and I thought it maybe only happend 5% of the time so would be difficult to mimic. But yes it needs sorting once and for all, so I'll do it.

When using HK3 it is mandatory to be connected to a permanent power supply and separately to a switched power supply. Even if the parking mode is not used.
The phenomenon that happens to you I met in the situation where both red and yellow threads were tied together.

Back