Mivue 338 keeps overwriting files

s_k

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi there guys at DashcamTalk!

My name is Stijn, I'm 29 years old and from the Netherlands.
I've been using Dashcams on my YouTube channel for years.
Truth be told, the Netherlands are one of the safest countries to drive, so there isn't much happening, but with my girlfriend always doing the (angry :D) commentary, I somehow manage to get some views ;).

I recently stopped using 15 bucks eBay cams and thought I'd get myself a proper one.
So I bought a Mio Mivue 338. So far, it's giving me a hard time.
I kept noticing that I stored far more videos on the move, than I could actually find on my card.
The Manual states:

"For continuous recording, the recording will be divided into several temporary video clips;
recording will not stop between video clips. Each video clip is 70MB in size and may be
about 1~2 minutes long. These video clips ar e temporary recording files until they are
locked/saved by pressing the Menu key.
If continuous recording is ongoing and when the card has run out of memory, new
temporary video clips will replace the old ones.
To stop recording, press the OK/Recordkey"

So, it continuously makes files of a minute long, that it will overwrite when the card is full.
Unless you press the menu button. In that case the files will be locked.
When I insert my card in my PC, I notice that some files are 'write protected', these are the files I pressed the menu key for and the file right before that. Makes sense, right?

1z6xh6p.jpg

(RA is Read only)

Now, when I choose the 'erase all' button on the Mivue 338, it will erase all files, except for the protected ones.
Still good! Now here's the catch;
When the card is full, the Mivue should overwrite the unprotected files, and leave the protected ones alone.
It doesn't. It will just overwrite them. So I keep waiting for my card to fill up, it never will. When I put it in my computer, I'll only have stored files that were created in the last couple of days, the older ones are overwritten.

I obviously sent an e-mail to Mio, and their support so far doesn't make me very happy.
Here's the conversation up to date:

Clips you have recorded will be saved in a different folder and should never be overwritten. Even when the device is full and start recording over old clips it will never access the protected files.

Hi Tristan,All clips are in the exact same folder, it's just that the 'locked' ones are write protected.
What to do?

Regards,

Stijn.

When you press the actual recording button to record a temporary clip, these will always be added in a different folder. Please try to format your SD card.

Making a different folder makes sense. Except that it doesn't do that.
The only folders it makes are the ones you see in the screenshot.
So that's the folder DCIM with 100DSCIM in it. That's all.

I just tried a firmware upgrade, but it still won't make any seperate folders for stored files.
Does anyone else have a Mivue 338 or perhaps a 388 to help me along?

Help would be much appreciated, as I haven't updated my channel in a long time, and people are starting to ask me to :D

Kind regards from the windy Netherlands,

Stijn.

Another mail:

Only emergency recordings are saved in a different folder. These will not be deleted when the device is full.
Recordings you make manually show up in the same folder and will be deleted when the device is full.
I would recommend you to use a larger SD card.

So he's effectively saying that the manual is wrong...
I bought that camera because of that feature....

Just called Mio, they can perhaps make a firmware upgrade for it.
Should be simple. Just not sure how long it will take...

To be simple, from the manu, it status that the pervious video clips will be over wright after S card is full, excep the cips you protected.

But you experienced that the protected clips thete, and the previous clips are replaced even the card is not full.

If so, you may need to format your SD card.

thete?
I'm sorry, I really try to understand what you say but I can't quite get what you mean.

What I can see is you saying 'even if the card is not full'. This is not true.
It only starts replacing clips when the card is full, but it shouldn't replace the write protected clips.

Fact of the matter is, I formatted my card many times.
I had contact with Mio the Netherlands, mio international and the guys who sold me the camera.
Turns out there is indeed an error in the firmware that should be fixed.
Which... sucks, as no one knows how long it will take.

Back