MiVue 618: randomly doesn't record & also records at random lengths

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the camera installed around November 2017 by a professional who comes highly regarded in the area. All was well. On a side note my wife has the Mio MiVue 698 which she had installed in December 2017 and hers has been fine throughout.

A month or so ago i had an incident on the motorway where i nearly got wiped out. I don't mean that drama queen kind of nearly where someone was a mile away i mean i could feel the air impact on my car it was so close. No problem i thought - i'll get home and look at the footage.
Only thing is when i got home i noticed that it didn't record the entire journey, not just that clip. It showed a record of me traveling to work in the morning and then apparently i didn't travel to the gym but it shows me leaving the gym. Basically my journey to the gym wasn't recorded.

And this seems to happen randomly. I don't think it's often but it happens. It happened with a journey earlier this week too.

I updated the firmware to the latest to see if that fixed the issue but obviously not.

After this i noticed that the camera now no longer records in continuous 3:00minute segments like it used to, it records as it pleases. It may be 3:00 but it may also be anything from 0:01 up to 3:00. I've had 0:01 clips, 0:06 clips, 1:24 clips, basically anything between 0:01 and 3:00 all on the one journey. I've tried selecting 5:00 minute clip size to see if that helps but it doesn't.

Camera is hard wired and starts recording when the ignition is on.

I'm using a Toshiba 128GB microSDXC UHS-I card. UHS Speed Class 3. Class 10. M302-EA EXCERIA. The installer suggested the memory card may be too big but the book says 128GB is ok for this device (and works for my wife's 698). I tried a 64GB just to test but the same issue regards the recording length happened. The 'non-record' is so random that i haven't been able to see if that applies on a 64GB though i suspect it would do.

So questions are - why is it doing this and how to fix it?

Back