MiVue 658 WiFi - Has anyone got one?

London WitnessCam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119/A129, AZDOME
Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum and would like to know if anyone else here owns a MiVue 658 WiFi dashcam and how they have got on with it?

Trying it out over the weekend, first impressions are good though, 1296p sounds promising.

I saw it 1.5 month ago but forgot to introduce it here. Back then there were only few ebay sellers, now I see many more sell them.

20150428_211623.jpg

I had a mivue 568 touch which I thought was brilliant so hopefully it will be a similar but an even better version of that with max 128gb sd card, at 1296p and wifi.

Tried it this morning, very disappointed as it wouldn't record in 1296p and in 1080p the quality was average but nothing more. I'm returning it and decided to invest in a Mobius Version 3 wide angled lens instead. I've got a couple of the early version mobius cameras with capacitors and they've been brilliant

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum and would like to know if anyone else here owns a MiVue 658 WiFi dashcam and how they have got on with it?
This company is selling 658 wifi units in the UK advertising on their website "MONTHLY" safety camera updates, this is NOT true, check their download page and see for yourself. It was also a false claim for some of their other models, again check their web page to see the facts. I have returned two units to Halfords UK and been refunded due to overheating and freezing (locking up), I now understand that Halfords UK are stocking NEXTBASE in favor of MIO.

I now understand that Halfords UK are stocking NEXTBASE in favor of MIO.

Halfords have simultaneously sold Nextbase & Mio for ages. Nextbase is merely DOD rebranded. Better cameras are available elsewhere.

....I now understand that Halfords UK are stocking NEXTBASE in favor of MIO....

We have three Mio 5-series cams and all have worked faultlessly. We've also had two Nextbase cams and the 402G died from presumed battery failure during the summer (therefore failing to save the last file which would be the one relevant to an accident) after only a fraction of the miles/hours that any of our Mio cams had done. I've seen a good few other complaints cropping up recently with 402G dying from premature battery failure (presumably couldn't withstand the heat and sun of an English summer).

I understand they can be terribly brutal. :D

Indeed. :D
You ain't seen a summer until you've seen an English summer. ;)

On a more serious note regarding summer.....
In my part of the UK (SouthEast England) summer daytime temperatures tend to mostly go no higher than low-30s for a week or two (record-breaking years might see one or two high-30s and a few mid-30s), and UV index no higher than 8 for a couple of weeks. Temperature in the shade inside my car reaches about 50'C for a few hours on the hottest days. I haven't taken temperatures from sunny parts inside the car but would expect an additional +25'C.

The 402G's battery couldn't withstand that.

We have three Mio 5-series cams and all have worked faultlessly. We've also had two Nextbase cams and the 402G died from presumed battery failure during the summer (therefore failing to save the last file which would be the one relevant to an accident) after only a fraction of the miles/hours that any of our Mio cams had done. I've seen a good few other complaints cropping up recently with 402G dying from premature battery failure (presumably couldn't withstand the heat and sun of an English summer).
Then I must have had two rouge units, my bad luck, but this still dosn't defer from the fact that Mio as a company are misleading people with false claims concerning MONTHLY safety camera updates which in the UK is a big selling point because speed cameras are everywhere. Surley, selling a product by false advertising is illegal?

Then I must have had two rouge units, my bad luck,

I think dashcams in general are unreliable. The vast majority seem to have far too high a proportion which don't work properly and/or last long. A dashcam which can survive two years seems to be a rarity.
But I can only speak as I find - 3x Mio have been fine, 2x Nextbase not so good, with one not surviving a few months of an English summer before its battery died where the Mios have no apparent problems yet (but I'll be sure to speak up when they do).

but this still dosn't defer from the fact that Mio as a company are misleading people with false claims concerning MONTHLY safety camera updates which in the UK is a big selling point because speed cameras are everywhere. Surley, selling a product by false advertising is illegal?

Although I don't have one with the speed camera alerts, their apparent alleged lack of updates is very poor and probably does breach some consumer law or right.

Perhaps the moral of the story is don't buy either Nextbase nor Mio.

I've just bought one very pleased with results
Only one problem so far
Manger will not play sound
I'm on windows 7
The videos will play using real player with sound any ideas

Sorry Paul I can not help with the sound problem. What I can tell you is, the Mio Mivue 658wifi model runs so hot that if it is left inside the car in damp conditions will fog up the inside touch screen. The windscreen/unit mount is so difficult to detach that it is forcing people to leave it inside the car causing this problem. If you intent to keep the unit expect this problem to happen in cold damp weather.

Back