MiVue 658 WiFi

London WitnessCam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119/A129, AZDOME
Hi, I am new to this forum and I've just changed from a MiVue 568 camera to a new MiVue 658 WiFi and would like to know how other users are getting on out there. I intend to give it a test over the weekend sometime. Cheers.

And how was the test?
I just bought the same one and get it today

And how was the test?
I just bought the same one and get it today

I put the 658 next to my möbius standard early version lens camera in our car and after comparing the footage I decided to stay with the möbius and bought a new wide angled version too.
The 658 is a very good camera but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Here is the quick comparison I made on YouTube

I decided to stay with the möbius and bought a new wide angled version too.

Does it have the new C2 lens? Would you be willing to check it for heat-related focus shift?

I suggest that your car be parked in direct sunlight for an hour or so, with Mobius powered (by it's own battery or by external power bank if you've installed a capacitor) in loop-recording mode. Ideally with Mobius aimed at another car with it's plate in clear view.

Compare the video clarity at the beginning & end of the hour. If the plate of the other car is as clearly readable at the end of the test, then the new lens has resolved problems with the earlier fibre reinforced plastic lens housings. This would reassure people currently hesitating to buy Mobius that their concerns are unfounded.

Does it have the new C2 lens? Would you be willing to check it for heat-related focus shift?

I suggest that your car be parked in direct sunlight for an hour or so, with Mobius powered (by it's own battery or by external power bank if you've installed a capacitor) in loop-recording mode. Ideally with Mobius aimed at another car with it's plate in clear view.

Compare the video clarity at the beginning & end of the hour. If the plate of the other car is as clearly readable at the end of the test, then the new lens has resolved problems with the earlier fibre reinforced plastic lens housings. This would reassure people currently hesitating to buy Mobius that their concerns are unfounded.

Whoa!
In the 14 months I've had them I've personally never had a problem with the lens on any of the möbius cameras I've had. My only concern was the batteries which I changed for capacitors.

Whoa!
In the 14 months I've had them I've personally never had a problem with the lens on any of the möbius cameras I've had. My only concern was the batteries which I changed for capacitors.

the focus related issues is a recent thing, it was never a problem for them with the product built 14 months ago

Just ordered one. Will report back. It will be used for upto 15hrs a day. Purchased 2x class 10 ultra 64gb sandisk cards for it.
The videos on YouTube show it's camera at night to be very good, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I think the slightly duller PIC in Londonwitness cab PIC, could be that the white balance / exposure evo is off slightly and can be adjusted in settings. Maybe a firmware update, will brighten it up ? It's such a new camera, I'm sure there will be updates.
But the footage a Dutch trucker has posted on YouTube looks to be fine. Colours and contrast wise it looks to be spot on.
Paul

first time out with the mio mivue 658 wifi........

Really impressed with the video footage. the mic on the camera is very good too. footage is 1296p.
My only issue with the 658 wifi is the advertising. I thought both the 658 touch and wifi versions both had dual memory card slots. the wifi version only has the one memory card slot. micro sd card is a class 10 sandisk ultra.

What's the bitrate on the file ? Any info on the cmos size ? 1/2.7 or 1/3 ?

Has anybody else taken note that Mio safety camera MONTHLY updates are not being posted, Yet MIO is still advertising this as a selling point?

I took a look at several MiVue 658 YouTube video's and to be honest, this cam doesn't impress me at all, factually I'm disappointed. For the money I can buy better cam's, and compared with my MateGo MG380G IMO the MateGo is the better choice as well much cheaper.

Can anybody provide the hardware specifications of the MiVue 658? Because the specs seems to be a big mystery...

I took a look at several MiVue 658 YouTube video's and to be honest, this cam doesn't impress me at all, factually I'm disappointed. For the money I can buy better cam's, and compared with my MateGo MG380G IMO the MateGo is the better choice as well much cheaper.

Can anybody provide the hardware specifications of the MiVue 658? Because the specs seems to be a big mystery...
Dave, If I were you just forget about Mio dash cams. I handed my 538d back to the store when I showed that this company were advertising Traffic Safety Camera MONTHLY update on their web site but in reality these updates don't exsist. Their support were a disgrace when I tried to get an answer as to the problem. As to date they have only posted TWO updates in 2015!!

I already forgot Mio (-; No hardware specs available, no supercapacitor, not keeping their selling promises, lousy support, and last but not at least: I have read that the cam is becoming warm after some time of use. FWIW the Mio cam manufacturer is very welcome to react on the critism in this thread.

Hi, I am new to this forum and I've just changed from a MiVue 568 camera to a new MiVue 658 WiFi and would like to know how other users are getting on out there. I intend to give it a test over the weekend sometime. Cheers.
I already forgot Mio (-; No hardware specs available, no supercapacitor, not keeping their selling promises, lousy support, and last but not at least: I have read that the cam is becoming warm after some time of use. FWIW the Mio cam manufacturer is very welcome to react on the critism in this thread.
Hi DaveM, I can assure you Mio will stay well clear of any dialogue reguarding their Dash cams and support. I believe people will soon learn to avoid Mio products..

Hi DaveM, I can assure you Mio will stay well clear of any dialogue reguarding their Dash cams and support. I believe people will soon learn to avoid Mio products..

this seems to date back to their other products, I recall their earlier products we sold many years ago weren't great, from PDA's to GPS every model seemed to have issues and the support wasn't great back then either, hadn't followed their recent products but it doesn't sound like a lot has changed

Mio's 658 dash cam series should be the best series they ever produced. Regrettably not provided with state-of-the-art technology, and customers interested in Mio's cams don't know what kind of product they will buy: there's a severe lack of information about cam's hardware specifications. Mind you, for the Mio 658 WiFi they are asking 230 U.S. dollars. It's a lot of money for a cam with unknown specifications, dated technology and average video quality..

Mio's 658 dash cam series should be the best series they ever produced. Regrettably not provided with state-of-the-art technology, and customers interested in Mio's cams don't know what kind of product they will buy: there's a severe lack of information about cam's hardware specifications. Mind you, for the Mio 658 WiFi they are asking 230 U.S. dollars. It's a lot of money for a cam with unknown specifications, dated technology and average video quality..
DaveM, It's their advertising claims that concern me (MONTHLY speed safety camera updates, important in the UK) that don't exsist, support continually giving you the run-around with cloaked answers concerning this subject. After returning my unit to Halfords UK and informing their head office customer support management team, they also agreed that Mio were misleading people on this point and so refunded my money. I also now understand that the 658 wifi is suffering with operating problems.

I will summarize in a very polite way: it wouldn't be wise to buy any Mio dash cam, several problems are pre-programmed.

I have been given a MiVue 658 wifi for Christmas. Brand new, fresh out of the box, put it together, plugged in, switched on and....nothing. Tried the on/off, tapped screen, etc., still nothing. The power indicator on the plug-in lights, so there is power. Have I missed something, or is it back to the shop?

Robert. Make sure the power lead is fully home in the plastic clip. If it isn't it doesn't make a contact. If you have any doubts plug the power lead in without the plastic bit that attaches to the mount. Try that
Paul

Back