MiVUE 680 issue (Australia)

Heideho

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Navman Mivue 680 x 3
I've owned 3 of these dash cams in 3 cars for nearly 3 years.

I discovered an issue where at times the dash cam would restart recording sometimes as frequently as every 10 seconds or so. This took a while to become evident as it doesn't happen everywhere. For example, I can drive Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and return on the highway (an hour each way) and the video records in 5 minute segments as per settings. If I return down the old highway to Caboolture however I continually see "Start Recording" on the screen and smaller video chunks are stored until I get back to the Highway and then it's back to 5 minute segments.

I first thought it was power related and caused by bumpy roads. I purchased another Navman power unit for the car lighter socket as the 3 cars are all currently hardwired. That made absolutley no difference. It also took me a while to realise that it was happening in all of the cars and not just mine.

I then started a long discourse with Mitac support which culminated with them having me return one of the units from my car to them. During the discussion I replaced SD cards twice as they neglected to inform me the first time that Sandisk cards aren't approved. I had already discovered a local road where I could replicate the problem (Eatons Crossing Road heading West from South Pine Road). If I drive on Eatons Crossing Road pretty much as soon as I leave the 60 kph zone I can see the problem start to happen. I've repeated this in our Hyundai and it happens a little further but still displays the same behaviour.

Mitac returned a MiVUE 680 to me but not the one that I sent to them. They basically stated it was a faulty SD card and that I should only use certain SD cards that are "approved". The issue still occurs. I just purchased another new "approved" Samsung PRO Endurance card just to be sure but it still happens.

I don't believe the problem relates to a bumpy road as rougher roads around Brisbane or roadworks don't cause the issue. I have at least 3 roads that I frequent that I know cause the issue but I've also seen it on similar secondary mainly country roads.

Sorry for the long-winded intro and background. I'm wondering if anyone else has observed this issue or has a comment?

What I would really like is someone with a similar dash cam here in Brisbane to try driving west along Eatons Crossing Road and tell me if they have the same issue appear. It normally happens very shortly after passing Queen Elizabeth Drive and entering the first 80 kph area in my car and then continues spasmodically all the way to Mount Samson Road and back. My brain thinks it must be a firmware or GPS related problem but I'm uncertain what is triggering it. It definitely appears to be location triggered although I've wondered about the GPS signal being impacted by more trees along these roads however I don't see the issue when entering tunnels or underground carparks that block satellites.

I can't really think of a situation where your location could cause the problems, doesn't make sense at all
I totally agree but I'm out of other explanations. If it was a dodgy power supply issue then any bumpy road would cause the problem and that doesn't happen. It's so predictable as I described above I can predict exactly where the problem starts in my car. A second car exhibits the same problem in an almost similar location just a little bit further along the same road. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

does that model have speed cam or red light cam alerts?
Yes it does. They appear to work normally and there is no audible alert that anything is happening. All I see is "Start recording" displayed on the screen as it begins a new recording file. This repeats a lot when it's occurring as I can get new files created every 10 or 20 seconds in some places.

is it possible to disable that function, as a test?
I'll try that tomorrow and see if it changes the behaviour. It's something that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks!

I'll try that tomorrow and see if it changes the behaviour. It's something that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks!
it's the only thing I could think of where a location based event can send an instruction to the camera, wild card but you never know

Last edited:
it's the only think I could think of where a location based event can send an instruction to the camera, wild card but you never know
I went through all of the menus this morning and I cannot turn off the speed/red light alerts. I can adjust the notifications (beep or spoken) and how far from the device it begins to warn you but there is nowhere to actually disable them or switch them off. I also cannot disable the GPS. I can change it to GLONASS and I might try that to see what happens but that will be later.

Navman replaced my 680 with another unit that had the same issue. I ended up buying a different model for my car which works fine. I’m still seeing the issue in one car though and I believe the issue is triggered by driving under trees. This suggests it probably is a result of losing some of the satellite connections. I don’t notice it in tunnels however where all satellites are lost. I think it began with a firmware update. Are older firmwares archived anywhere so I can test my theory?

Back