Mobius (0.47) vs Dome G90 (r441mp - HDR On) @ Night

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Right then, I did the LS430W vs LS460W last night, so figured I'd try the Mobius against the G90 this time as they're both pretty popular and completely different across the board - different CPUs, different lenses and different CMOSs

So the Mobius is the Novatek NT96650 and the Aptina AR0330 sensor and the G90 is the Ambarella A7LA30 and the OmniVision OV4689 sensor.

Last nights test showed that the LS430W and the LS460W using the same CPU but different sensors gave pretty much the same results.

Both cameras were run in their highest quality mode and the G90 was in HDR mode.

The G90 images are labelled REV456789 in the bottom right, and the Mobius images are the ones with the clock in the bottom left hand corner.

So without further ado:

Last edited:
Both cameras put in a very good effort IMHO and you would be happy with either. In a lot of cases the Mobius shows more detail than the new camera.

I think the 170 degree FOV on the G90 is read diagonally, and the Mobius with the wide lens as shown here is listed as 116 degrees horizontally but you can see the Mobius has a much wider view across the board (at the sides and the top and bottom)

You can see dewarp doing it's thing on the G90 and in pitch black it's a slightly brighter image and sharpness wise I'd say they're very similar.

If you don't like noise in your videos you'll prefer the G90, but to be honest sometimes the noise reduction features can strip detail out of the image anyway - it's swings and roundabouts and most people will go with what they prefer (usually whichever one is brightest which is why TV shops have everything turned up to the max).

The one big difference is that when the HDR works right it makes numberplates appear from the darker exposure which you can see in one of the comparisons above. I do have high intensity headlights so if you have normal halogen bulbs you may find numberplate reading works all the time anyway -this is a particular issue with HID / xenon headlights. It may affect LED / laser lights too as they're bright - in fact I'm guessing cars with LED headlights will cause strobing anyway across the entire image.

Nice comparison, I was after either the Mobius or G90 for the mrs and came to the conclusion that if you drive in the city more and have xenon headlights get the G90, if you do more country driving with little light the Mobius has a slight advantage

but both are very good for the price, in the end I got her a G90 as I got a coupon for $72 shipped. I might still get her a Mobius for the rear if I cant get this g1wh working properly with a reflash of firmware

Yeah to be honest there's not a massive amount in it - I've spent a small fortune on dash cams now and to be honest haven't really seen a massive difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones!

I still want a Panorama but just waiting to see what the new two channel one is priced at - I'd be happy paying extra even for the single channel version when that has the much better parking mode and to be honest I'm thinking that's a good idea now.

I also need to move the A118 up front to do some testing as that's not suitable for the rear in my car due to the tints - I'll have to test that against the Z7 and Mobius next!

My GT680Ws just sit there constantly plodding on throughout all of this though :)

Looks like mobius has slightly more details in the darker area.
Interesting how the same 96650 in G1WH cannot come close to G90 quality but in mobius, the same chip competes with G90's ambarella chip.

How about daytime?
Is G90 better?

Last edited:
It's all down to the combination of lens spec, image sensor, processor, and the firmware - Niko and Jokiin have said this and you see it more and more with every camera you try.

The Aptina sensor actually has a higher dynamic range than the Omnivision sensor and larger pixels to help with grabbing detail at night, whereas the Omnivision uses HDR to improve the picture. Two different approaches to the same problem really.

Day time wise they're all very similar and to be honest I personally prefer the Mobius due to the extra angle.

I'll do another run in the day and see how they compare :)

and to be honest I personally prefer the Mobius due to the extra angle.

I'll do another run in the day and see how they compare :)
From the screenshots above, Mobius doesn't look any wider than G90.
Also, G90 doesn't have warped corners like Mobius.

From the screenshots above, Mobius doesn't look any wider than G90.
Also, G90 doesn't have warped corners like Mobius.
Seriously? Every picture has at least an inch of extra information on the Mobius - there's also quite a height difference as well in every frame due to the wider lens. It's more obvious in the next batch I'm about to upload.

The Novatek cameras don't do dewarp - that's a feature of the processor. To be honest it's not something you notice as much in video - only stills as your brain seems to adapt very quickly, a bit like watching a dodgy camera copy of a film!

Ya the daytime is better to look at the FOV difference which shows Mobius has extra on both vertical and horizontal but looking at the daytime screenshots, G90 is way better than Mobius so I'll prefer G90.

I like the mobius, however it's missing some key features that makes it a full feature dashcam like g-sensor and optionally GPS.

I like the mobius, however it's missing some key features that makes it a full feature dashcam like g-sensor and optionally GPS.

These are not key features, they're merely things that you may think you want, but don't actually need. I don't want or need either of 'em.

Key features include video & audio quality, reliability, durability, manufacturer support, versatility of installation, discreetness / stealth, value for money, capacitor option, availability of parts so you don't have to throw it away if it develops a fault after the warranty expires, etc.

Totally agree with Russ. Used my Mobius as a handheld cam on my trip to Las Vegas last week. Something not many dashcam can do. Mounted with neodynium magnets, I can remove it to shoot brightly lit Christmas lightings on houses as I drive.

Nice.
These days it seem easy to find a 100 dollar dashcam that will do at least as good as my Lukas witch cost a lot more than 100 dollars when i got it.

I would like to update the lukas so that i can give it to my little sister, but i am hoping for a major tech update that truth be told proberly wont happen within the next year.
Anyway the mony is still tight here, so i just make do and lean back and piggy back on the knowlege accumulated by others on this fine forum.

I think somthing like HDR might be in high demand on future dashcams to be able to resolve licenceplates at night, i am finding it hard to see how it can be done better on much more light sensetive CMOS chips in the years to come.

Last edited:
Back