Mobius 1 Lens mount box dimensions needed.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I have been emailing a seller in China about getting some all metal lens mounts for me and anyone else who wants them. However I have run into a problem. I do not have a mm scale to determine the measurements I/we need. I ordered a mm scale but due to the Chinese New Year everything came to a stop, and I won't receive it for up to 30 days. The Chinese NY is over (Feb26).

So I need the dimensions of the Mobius 1 Lens mount. I know the hole spacing is 18mm (thanks dashmellow), but I also need the length/width/height of the mount's BOX and the height of the lens mount barrel that protrudes from the box. The measurements need to be exact not interpolated, so if you have a mm scale and can get these measurements for me I would really appreciate it.

Why do you want to change the mount?

I have a spare M1 lens module that I can measure tomorrow

I was going to post the measurements earlier today when I suddenly realized I was measuring an old V1 sized module base from back before the new larger C lens modules were introduced along with the new cases to accommodate them. I'll need to remove one of the cameras from my vehicle and open it up to get the correct dimensions when I have some time.

@Harsh, I don't know what @Lola has in mind but I've replaced a few Mobius lens barrel mounts here and there. I discovered that an older one had a crack in it from over-tightening the set screw quite some time ago and I've also swapped in a different one that better supports the big varifocal lens I've been experimenting with for the last six months. Perhaps I'll post a photo.

Yeah if you're swapping to a beefier lens like the Varifocal, makes sense.

If the current mount works fine and one's switching just because they read it's plastic. No point as the plastic (FRP) ones work fine.

I guess a metal lens module mount will transfer heat away from the sensor better but you're right about the FRP. Fiber Reinforced Plastic should be even more dimensionally stable than metal so focus should remain stable even if it gets pretty hot.

Why do you want to change the mount?

To alleviate refocusing a lens swap, In some Mobius cams to put the IR cut filter in the box so not needing a cut IR filter in the lenses, having spare in case of mishap/accident, Changing out plastic for all metal component, I like playing with the Mobius 1 camera and making it even better, I'm anal retentive, (I think)!:):cool:

Photos show actual measurements, but there will be a tolerance on both the moulding and my measurements. So I think the lens box is 15x15x4mm. Barrel 8mm.
IMG_20180227_221222.jpg
IMG_20180227_220530.jpg
IMG_20180227_220552.jpg
IMG_20180227_220621.jpg
IMG_20180227_220732.jpg
IMG_20180227_221118.jpg

Photos show actual measurements, but there will be a tolerance on both the moulding and my measurements. So I think the lens box is 15x15x4mm. Barrel 8mm.
View attachment 36762
View attachment 36763
View attachment 36764
View attachment 36765
View attachment 36766
View attachment 36767

Thanks Tony, that will be fine. I'll let you and the other guys know how things come out. I will probably increase the barrel length to 10mm or so, because some have trouble with there being enough length in focusing there lenses.

Thanks Tony, that will be fine. I'll let you and the other guys know how things come out. I will probably increase the barrel length to 10mm or so, because some have trouble with there being enough length in focusing there lenses.
I have not taken measurements inside a Mobius 1 case (new or old style) to see what the maximum barrel length could be before it clashes with the internal mouldings. If the barrel does not have a set screw, you will need a couple of mm for a locking ring. I might take some more measurements for you tonight.

I have not taken measurements inside a Mobius 1 case (new or old style) to see what the maximum barrel length could be before it clashes with the internal mouldings. If the barrel does not have a set screw, you will need a couple of mm for a locking ring. I might take some more measurements for you tonight.
Not to worry, I put two locking set screws in my design, but you are right about the length, I never even thought of that possibly causing a problem. Currently I am going with 4mm box and 8mm barrel length for a total of 12mm. I don't think It would cause a problem but don't really know!

As a side note, sorry I haven't been back to the forum for a few days. The HIGH winds in the East coast (USA) knocked the heck out of the trees and the power was off from Friday till Monday afternoon. I had to rent a notel room for those days, so no computer!

As a side note, sorry I haven't been back to the forum for a few days. The HIGH winds in the East coast (USA) knocked the heck out of the trees and the power was off from Friday till Monday afternoon. I had to rent a notel room for those days, so no computer!

Tell me about it !Try living on a mountain during times like this. That's why I have an 8K propane powered generator and all kind of other off the grid back-up prep such as 12V lighting. I can run my whole house if I need to. ( and often need to) We're hunkering down for the second Nor,easter in less than two weeks arriving tomorrow with high winds and as much as 15 inches of snow by Thursday. :arghh:

Not to worry, I put two locking set screws in my design, but you are right about the length, I never even thought of that possibly causing a problem. Currently I am going with 4mm box and 8mm barrel length for a total of 12mm. I don't think It would cause a problem but don't really know!

I didn't take the additional measurements as all my Mobius cameras were in service. I've now removed 4 cameras from the screen so I will be able to open up a case and check the permissible barrel length.

I didn't take the additional measurements as all my Mobius cameras were in service. I've now removed 4 cameras from the screen so I will be able to open up a case and check the permissible barrel length.

Tony I received this email from my contact in China, looks like their is no chance of finding them in metal, real bummer for me, however he can get them in plastic so that's the only way I can go now. I'll still post his link when he responds to my email to show the plastic ones again.
Hopefully he will have ones that are 15 x 15mm so we can use the ribbon plate that screws to the back.

You have a new message from AliExpress supplier CYLONG TECHOLOGY CO LIMITED.
CYLONG TECHOLOGY CO LIMITED: Hi, friend,

We are so sorry , nearly no metal pitch 18mm on market.

Could u take following into consideration? pitch 18mm hight 8.3mm.

This didn't make a lot of sense, I'll have to question what he means exactly.

Tell me about it !Try living on a mountain during times like this. That's why I have an 8K propane powered generator and all kind of other off the grid back-up prep such as 12V lighting. I can run my whole house if I need to. ( and often need to) We're hunkering down for the second Nor,easter in less than two weeks arriving tomorrow with high winds and as much as 15 inches of snow by Thursday. :arghh:

Goof grief, I don't see what I was complaining about now!:eek: I don't see how you stand it, that would make me miserable:sick:, not that spending $200.00 for 2 nights made me happy. The electric company I have, Potomac Edison has a new policy of NO preventive maintenance, meaning they don't require employees to relay possible problems concerning power outages or do anything to investigate (preventive maintenance), they also now want homeowners to pay for an insurance policy (they sell) for any problems on lines to your home, saying they are not responsible for that anymore :mad:, no way in hell will I do that!

By the way that storm you are referring to was supposed to hit my area also but it bypassed towards the East, I sure hope it did that for you also:).

Last edited:
@TonyM Im going to make the overall height 13mm (box 4mm, barrel 9mm), If I go to high there might be some problems with being able to screw some lenses in far enough, so to play it safe Im going this way, if I need more length down the road I'll just get a small extension barrel. This way it keeps everything simple and close to the stock dimensions. I really appreciate you taking the time to help though, won't forget it:):cool:.

Goof grief, I don't see what I was complaining about now!:eek: I don't see how you stand it, that would make me miserable:sick:, not that spending $200.00 for 2 nights made me happy. The electric company I have, Potomac Edison has a new policy of NO preventive maintenance, meaning they don't require employees to relay possible problems concerning power outages or do anything to investigate (preventive maintenance), they also now want homeowners to pay for an insurance policy (they sell) for any problems on lines to your home, saying they are not responsible for that anymore :mad:, no way in hell will I do that!

We got at least 15 inches of snow last night and I've spent the morning digging myself out. I'm taking a break at the moment but as soon as I log off I'm back at it. This is the second major storm since March 2nd, although the wind wasn't so intense this time so the power didn't go out. I think the difference between where you live and where I live is that this kind of thing is very common and everyone is accustomed to dealing with it. It comes with the territory. The road crews were out plowing all night, the guy who plows my driveway showed up at 7:30 AM and I was out there working my shovel like a cornered Ninja. If the power goes out everyone is prepared to one degree or another for extended outrages and the power company is on the case right away. They do quite a bit of "preventive maintenance" here which usually involves trimming tree limbs that hang over the power lines. The problem is that they tend to really butcher beautiful old trees because they send out a bunch of knuckleheads who know how to run chain saws but know nothing about arbor work and proper tree trimming methodology. :mad:

Sometimes this weather gets to be a bit much but other times we all love it. I'll probably be out in the woods on my cross-country skis or snowshoes before the day is over. :)

Last edited:
Here its Nor,western at least in regard to wind, but cold weather and snow always come from the east ( Siberia )

I guess they both are from the North, one way or another...hence "Nor". Here Nor,easter has to do with moisture coming in off the Atlantic Ocean to the east of the Northern states.

CYLONG TECHOLOGY CO LIMITED.
CYLONG TECHOLOGY CO LIMITED: Hi, friend,

We are so sorry , nearly no metal pitch 18mm on market.

Could u take following into consideration? pitch 18mm hight 8.3mm.

This didn't make a lot of sense, I'll have to question what he means exactly.

I'm not quite sure what that guy is talking about either. Maybe it's one of those "lost in translation" things?

"Pitch" has to do with the threads of the lens which is 0.5mm in this case. 18mm is the spacing between the two screw holes on the mount, as you know.

The standard Mobius lens barrel mount has a height of "about" 12mm. (maybe 12.5mm)

mount.jpg

M12 x 0.5 lenses are designated that way because they have a 0.5mm pitch to the threads and a major diameter of the external thread of "Metric" 12 millimeters (hence "M12").
m12.jpg

The thread pitch is the axial distance from one thread groove to the next.
Thread pitch is given in millimeters per thread.
Screwthreadpitch.jpg
major diameter (thread peak to thread peak)
Screwthreaddia.jpg

Last edited:
Back