Mobius 1 Lens mount box dimensions needed.

Wait, I think it's M12x0.5 mm, not 0.05mm <- that would be very fine pitch indeed. ;)

M12lenses.com does sell plastic 18 mm spacing mounts. They have 3 total heights available but it appears that the base is 5.25 mm high instead of the required 4 mm as shown in TonyM's post. Also these include a 0.6 mm hole on the side for possible set screw, though they are probably not pre-tapped.
Fairly cheap at $3 USD a piece. I guess one could grind off the base to make it fit in the Mobius case.

Wait, I think it's M12x0.5 mm, not 0.05mm <- that would be very fine pitch indeed. ;)

M12lenses.com does sell plastic 18 mm spacing mounts. They have 3 total heights available but it appears that the base is 5.25 mm high instead of the required 4 mm as shown in TonyM's post. Also these include a 0.6 mm hole on the side for possible set screw, though they are probably not pre-tapped.
Fairly cheap at $3 USD a piece. I guess one could grind off the base to make it fit in the Mobius case.

Doh! :facepalm: :shame: You're quite right. Sorry for the decimal point placement error.

I guess one could grind off the base to make it fit in the Mobius case.

Grinding off the base could be a very difficult task to pull off as accurately as required. It would be quite easy to end up with a lens that is out of focus on one side or the other. I know because I've had some experience with this when I tried to fix a base that was out of alignment. It took a lot of careful work with micro grade sandpaper. I eventually got it right but needed to work in very tiny incremental steps.

Grinding off the base could be a very difficult task to pull off as accurately as required. It would be quite easy to end up with a lens that is out of focus on one side or the other. I know because I've had some experience with this when I tried to fix a base that was out of alignment. It took a lot of careful work with micro grade sandpaper. I eventually got it right but needed to work in very tiny incremental steps.

Yeap. That's what I though too :) . I was going to suggest machining it but probably most folks don't have access to a mill. The only viable option would be to moddify the case by cutting off the little tabs that cradle the lens holder and use something to fill the gap. May be this Sugru mouldable silicone would work.

I'm not quite sure what that guy is talking about either. Maybe it's one of those "lost in translation" things?

"Pitch" has to do with the threads of the lens which is 0.5mm in this case. 18mm is the spacing between the two screw holes on the mount, as you know.

The standard Mobius lens barrel mount has a height of "about" 12mm. (maybe 12.5mm)

View attachment 36916

M12 x 0.5 lenses are designated that way because they have a 0.5mm pitch to the threads and a major diameter of the external thread of "Metric" 12 millimeters (hence "M12").
View attachment 36927

The thread pitch is the axial distance from one thread groove to the next.
Thread pitch is given in millimeters per thread.
View attachment 36913
major diameter (thread peak to thread peak)
View attachment 36914

i understand the thread meanings as you pointed out, it was the use of the word pitch that threw me at first until I realized he was using it for the word "spacing". Seems odd to me also, but some of these companies are in the middle of nowhere and it's possibly a local thing with the word pitch in translation, plus he is a she that is a seller and not to versed in the product. That was basically the only problem with her (name was Spring), not sure if she is from the family of Leaf or Coil, LOL. Anyway you get 20 for $7.99 (I think), No way one can beat that price $.040 a piece.
I never thought of this until a few minutes ago, but, I would be willing to bet these companies go through tough times getting someone who speaks/writes english and other languages enough to be a sales person (multilingual), actually it would be a nightmare here in the US or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Last edited:
i understand the thread meanings as you pointed out, it was the use of the word pitch that threw me at first until I realized he was using it for the word "spacing". Seems odd to me also, but some of these companies are in the middle of nowhere and it's possibly a local thing with the word pitch in translation, plus he is a she that is a seller and not to versed in the product. That was basically the only problem with her (name was Spring), not sure if she is from the family of Leaf or Coil, LOL. Anyway you get 20 for $7.99 (I think), No way one can beat that price $.040 a piece.

Despite all the language barriers we sometimes encounter I love that the internet has allowed all kinds of people from all over the world to do business with one another. I've bought and sold items on eBay and elsewhere from people in many different countries who can barely speak English, sometimes even using Google translate to communicate. Somehow, we always muddle through and it has always worked out one way or another. Often, I come away feeling like I've made a friend by the time the transaction is completed. Of course, it helps when the person you are attempting to communicate with is knowledgeable about the product but 20 lens mounts for 8 bucks sounds like a great deal even if the "pitch" is 18mm :).

Last edited:
Back