Mobius 1 lens mount type

gius18

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi,
I have some m12 mount lens I would like to use in Mobius 1 but they do not seem to fit.
Is the lens mount in Mobius M12x05?
Thank you for any help.

Giuseppe

Thank you.
Could someone suggest where to buy a lens with Hfov approx. 60° suitable for mobius sensor?

Thank you!
I have 3 m12 lens: one fits on the mobius lens hold the others do not fit well, i.e. you have to force to screw in, which I do not want.
I do not understand why, as all are m12 lens. Any idea?

Thank you!
I have 3 m12 lens: one fits on the mobius lens hold the others do not fit well, i.e. you have to force to screw in, which I do not want.
I do not understand why, as all are m12 lens. Any idea?

The newer Mobius cameras use a FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) threaded module instead of the metal ones they used to use. These can make it much harder to screw and unscrew the lenses in and out. Try a small amount of silicone lubricant but be careful not to get any on the lens or sensor.

Check out THIS post and the two other links in the post for more information about this.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for info and suggestions!
I 'll have a look at the post. I asked about the mount because it seems that some lens (two in three) have a different thread (and/or pitch).
I tried with half a drop of olive oil without any results. Silicone is more appropriate

I have "modified" a aluminum socket for 12 mm fine thread lenses to a sort of threading tool, it works fine if say you have a older lens with some glue / stuff still on the thread and you need to clean it out as you can not otherwise screw the lens far enough in.

It was cheaper than getting a actual 12 mm fine thread tool to make such thread from scratch.

I have also once screwed up a rifle scope ( cheap ass one fortunately ) by messing up a fine thread on it, i find fine thread are eaxra easy to mess up / engage crooked.

I can easily remove the mobius lens. My problem with the 3 lens I have is that only one can be screwed in the Mobius hold easily, the others after turning three/four times need too much force to be screwed and I stopped screwing. These lens can be screwed on another M12 camera I have.
I do not understand why

you could try and sand the top of the thread down a little.

Actually i also have a thread file, but only sized for "normal" sized metric threads.

HTB1ZhGIg3vD8KJjSsplq6yIEFXaS.jpg

I am not aware of other almost similar lenses with say a imperial thread, these M12 fine thread lenses are also called S mount as i recall.

Thank you.
Actually the lens that do not fit well have a fisheye fov and I am not interested in using with mobius. I will try your suggestion with new lens I will buy on Aliexpress, when necessary.

Just remember to hold the lens mount and NOT the CMOS board when screwing in or adjusting a tight-fitting lens. Replacement parts may still be available from Banggood, but the last time I checked there were not as many items listed as they used to sell for this cam.

Phil

I can easily remove the mobius lens. My problem with the 3 lens I have is that only one can be screwed in the Mobius hold easily, the others after turning three/four times need too much force to be screwed and I stopped screwing. These lens can be screwed on another M12 camera I have.
I do not understand why

The fiber reinforced plastic lens module that Mobius uses can be a problem. It is possible that some of the threads may have stripped inside the barrel. It can happen all too easily with these modules, unfortunately. I had that happen once with one of my Mobius cameras. It could also be the threads on the lenses but I think the barrel is the more likely culprit. As kamkar suggests you might be able to sand it down or rework the threads but you may need a new lens module housing.

Last edited:
I will try when I find a suitable lens in Aliexpress.
I would like a lens with a narrower fov than the original. Another reason is that the pictures with my standard lens looks "greenish", with a soft 'green veil'.
I tried modifying parameters in mobius software (lens type, WB ...) but it is complicated to find a good balance.
The lens of mine which fitted is a lens from Activeon Dx cam. Pictures with this lens look better (for me) but it has a wider Fov than my Mobius lens, though narrower than 'C' type lens.
Also I would like to try the original 'A' lens (I suppose mine is A2, perhaps almost the same Fov as 'A'). It seems the original 'A' lens is not sold anymore. Anyone knows where to buy it?

The original "A" lens used a slightly different case for the cam so it wouldn't simply screw together; you'd have to slightly modify the new-style case but it has been done before. Can't say where to source the lens.

Phil

I will try when I find a suitable lens in Aliexpress.
I would like a lens with a narrower fov than the original. Another reason is that the pictures with my standard lens looks "greenish", with a soft 'green veil'.
I tried modifying parameters in mobius software (lens type, WB ...) but it is complicated to find a good balance.
The lens of mine which fitted is a lens from Activeon Dx cam. Pictures with this lens look better (for me) but it has a wider Fov than my Mobius lens, though narrower than 'C' type lens.
Also I would like to try the original 'A' lens (I suppose mine is A2, perhaps almost the same Fov as 'A'). It seems the original 'A' lens is not sold anymore. Anyone knows where to buy it?
Better contact directly for A lens the developer's ebay website, they might still have parts they are not listing. Drop them a message.
For additional info of other lenses, check out Rcgroups Mobius 1 forum like this post (#11914) and others

Thank for links: I will contact the developer.

Back