Mobius 2 date and time problem with capacitor (dash cam)

Otto1933

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a Mobius 1 dash cam that works beautifully. I recently purchased a Mobius 2 and have run into a problem with the date and time function. It appears that, with the capacitor installed, the date function carries on from the last frame of recorded video clips - thereby going out of sync with actual date and time. Has anybody got a solution for this?

That is strange. I've not heard of the M2 or any other camera doing that. I'm not sure what the M2 does if the capacitor or battery cannot keep the real time clock running.
I don't have the capacitor installed in my M2, although I should really so I'll try it tomorrow and check the files.

Battery coming out
DSC_0010.jpg
Capacitor going in
DSC_0013.jpg

Running the M2 this morning, the date & time was correct. It did not pick up from when I last turned it off at around midnight.

Are you using mSetup to configure the camera?

How long a time interval is there between each drive? If the capacitor is becoming drained in standby perhaps it reverts back to the last known date & time?

Yes most cameras will revert back to some default time/date, and this can cause problems with recycling of files.
CUZ then if your camera have gone to default time/date it will be older than anything on the card, and so the camera will record a file, and then to make room for the next one delete that latest file as its the oldest one.

That is strange. I've not heard of the M2 or any other camera doing that. I'm not sure what the M2 does if the capacitor or battery cannot keep the real time clock running.
I don't have the capacitor installed in my M2, although I should really so I'll try it tomorrow and check the files.
I am using setup to configure the M2, purchased 8 months ago, have a 64GB sd card and loop recordings. Recording in 264HC and playback as M4 sometimes fails. There are more options in the M1. The capacitor in the M1 holds the clock for at least 4 days, It does not appear to hold it for more than a few minutes.

I appear to be having problems with my M2 running on the capacitor today. It has stopped recording twice and became frozen once, after which it took three attempts to get it running again but only for 3 minutes before failing again!

I've run my M1 on the capacitor for over 3 years without any such issues. My only suggestion for now is to use the battery instead. Does your M2 work ok using the battery @Otto1933 ? You could try asking the kind folk over at RC Groups if they have experienced similar issues.

I have only used Battery, if the M2 had matured more i might have tried the M1 capacitor kit in it but i never got that far.

I have a Mobius 1 dash cam that works beautifully. I recently purchased a Mobius 2 and have run into a problem with the date and time function. It appears that, with the capacitor installed, the date function carries on from the last frame of recorded video clips - thereby going out of sync with actual date and time. Has anybody got a solution for this?

I have a hunch the problem might not be the capacitor. As a troubleshooting experiment I would remove the super-capacitor for 30-60 seconds. Then re-install the cap and power up the camera from an external source. For good measure press the rest button on power-up. Reformat the memory card (or even try a different card) and then re-do all the settings in mSetup. Of course, make sure you select YES for Sync Date/Time. See if anything changes.

If this doesn't change anything, put the battery back in and see if the problem goes away. If both you and @TonyM report the same experience we will know that the problem is indeed related to the capacitor.

Personally, I never quite got around to installing a super-cap in the M2 because all the other unresolved issues and shortcomings made the super-cap besides the point.

Last edited:
Back